• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Gear What helmet(s) do you wear?

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
Just picked up an HJC RPHA 90S. Bit of an upgrade from my CL-Max III, though I think the Max was a tad quieter. Overall I'm really happy with the 90S though. Lightweight, comfortable and has great airflow. Downsides are that I'm not used to the spring activated chin bar, main visor, and sun shade, leaving me trying to position things manually when the helmet doesnt want me to. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it.PXL_20210916_223808985.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Last edited:

shuhan

CB650R ABS
Aug 14, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Riding Since
20210922_013329.jpg
AGV K6 in Nardo Grey
Matches close enough to my bike (pearl smoky grey)
This is basically my first helmet but I'm finding that it's pressing on my cheeks quite a bit and my jaw gets pretty sore after an hour or so. Still trying to figure out what my head shape is

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
AGV K6 in Nardo Grey
This is basically my first helmet but I'm finding that it's pressing on my cheeks quite a bit and my jaw gets pretty sore after an hour or so. Still trying to figure out what my head shape is

How new is the helmet? It's not uncommon for helmets to be a little uncomfortable at first. Takes time to break them in. As for your jaw goes, I found that moving your mouth around every 10-15 minutes to "stretch" helps a lot with that, at least until the helmet breaks in and you no longer need to do it.

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
View attachment 11097
AGV K6 in Nardo Grey
If the crown of your head is comfortable that's the most important. Hot spots around your head are more difficult to deal with and will need to try various brands and models.

With your face and jaw, the cheek pads may break in after a while. If not you can always order thinner replacements. Some models will have 1-2mm layers you can peel off to customize fit which will help a lot.

I've gone through several helmets. Being Asian, most North American helmets don't fit me well including Arai and Shoei models developed for NA market. I ended up getting Arai helmets direct from Japan and they fit me best.

shuhan

CB650R ABS
Aug 14, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Riding Since
How new is the helmet? It's not uncommon for helmets to be a little uncomfortable at first. Takes time to break them in. As for your jaw goes, I found that moving your mouth around every 10-15 minutes to "stretch" helps a lot with that, at least until the helmet breaks in and you no longer need to do it.

If the crown of your head is comfortable that's the most important. Hot spots around your head are more difficult to deal with and will need to try various brands and models.

With your face and jaw, the cheek pads may break in after a while. If not you can always order thinner replacements. Some models will have 1-2mm layers you can peel off to customize fit which will help a lot.

I've gone through several helmets. Being Asian, most North American helmets don't fit me well including Arai and Shoei models developed for NA market. I ended up getting Arai helmets direct from Japan and they fit me best.
Thanks for the tips guys. Everything else about the helmet feels perfect aside from the pressure on my jaw. I've only got about 600km on this helmet so far so I'm hoping the padding still has some room to break-in

Jaeger

CB650R ABS
Aug 13, 2021
Riding Since
AGV K6 in Nardo Grey

Nice lid and nice ride! My K6 fits me as comfortably as my GT Air 2 - but is a touch closer-fitting.

VCKBy5T.jpg

NinjaDust77

CB650R ABS
Jul 6, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Riding Since
got a few in rotation:
- Arai Renegade V Dragon
- Arai Corsair V IoM
- Arai Profile Hopkins
- Shoei X12 Shoya

Attachments

• AraiIoMCorsair.JPG
    AraiIoMCorsair.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 11
  • AraiProfileShoeX12Shoya.JPG
    AraiProfileShoeX12Shoya.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 11
  • AraiRenegadeV.JPG
    AraiRenegadeV.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 12
  • ShoeiX12Shoya.JPG
    ShoeiX12Shoya.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 12

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
I've had a new Shoei and a new Arai since this was started.

I don't have a pic of the Shoei. It's a GT Air (1).

Here's the Corsair X I grabbed several months ago, and a shot of the helmet shelf in the moto gear closet.

Attachments

• 20210821_183141.jpg
    20210821_183141.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210821_191128.jpg
    20210821_191128.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210821_200432.jpg
    20210821_200432.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12

Young Mark

CB650F ABS
Sep 26, 2021
Riding Since
This is my helmet for India (when riding the CBR650F). I don't think I could wear a full face constantly, so the open face does the job - plenty of air flow and very good protection - comes with a drop down sun visor as well which is a must when using the clear visor. I was a bit unsure about the LS2 make, but the quality is excellent and would now recommend them to anyone. Fits perfectly and for £120 I haven't seen a better quality unit. It came with a spare visor and couldn't resist the black one.

View attachment 237 View attachment 238 View attachment 239 View attachment 240

Guess which team I support??
Notts County!!!!!

slim_sheady

CBR650R ABS
Mar 13, 2022
Montreal
Riding Since
How does everyone feel about their helmet's noise level?
I personally find my HJC CL-17 super loud but I have only owned HJC and can't really compare to anything else.
I like to have music on during long trips or any time I'm going above 60 km/h for extended periods.
With friends or a passenger we chat on the Sena comms but above 90 or so it gets hard to hear and people have told me a lot of wind noise comes through my mic.
I also do my best to always wear ear plugs as well as my tinnitus can get triggered.
I'm not sure whether this is normal for all helmets or if it's just HJC, but I do have a buddy who says he doesn't even need his Sena at full volume inside his helmet.
I wonder if any brands are known to be better at noise reduction?

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I personally find my HJC CL-17 super loud but I have only owned HJC and can't really compare to anything else.
I like to have music on during long trips or any time I'm going above 60 km/h for extended periods.
With friends or a passenger we chat on the Sena comms but above 90 or so it gets hard to hear and people have told me a lot of wind noise comes through my mic.
I also do my best to always wear ear plugs as well as my tinnitus can get triggered.
I'm not sure whether this is normal for all helmets or if it's just HJC, but I do have a buddy who says he doesn't even need his Sena at full volume inside his helmet.
I find all my helmets are noisy (HJC, Shoei, Shark). Intercom over 40mph (SENA) with my wife gets scratchy and over 70mph basically unuseable. Just bought a CARDO pair, sound quality is much better but havent tested it at road speed yet,

I think the overall noise level is related to head-shape, but that is conjecture on my part.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I use HJC a lot and generally find their helmets OK to slightly noisy, however a CL-17 is one of their lower end helmets so it will be noisier than most. My wife has a Bell Qualifier, pretty much the same "level" of helmet and it's VERY noisy but she likes the graphics on it so, well, that's her helmet. If you like the fit of the HJC helmets, the RPHA series are slightly quieter than the regular HJC models.

But in general, helmets that are vented will be noisier. And venting is one of the biggest thing most manufacturers are doing so they will be noisier in general. The older Shoei's were VERY quiet, as are the older Arai's but even they are noisy nowadays.

Best thing to do is wear earplugs and enjoy the fact helmets now pass a decent amount of air.

slim_sheady

CBR650R ABS
Mar 13, 2022
Montreal
Riding Since
I use HJC a lot and generally find their helmets OK to slightly noisy, however a CL-17 is one of their lower end helmets so it will be noisier than most. My wife has a Bell Qualifier, pretty much the same "level" of helmet and it's VERY noisy but she likes the graphics on it so, well, that's her helmet. If you like the fit of the HJC helmets, the RPHA series are slightly quieter than the regular HJC models.

But in general, helmets that are vented will be noisier. And venting is one of the biggest thing most manufacturers are doing so they will be noisier in general. The older Shoei's were VERY quiet, as are the older Arai's but even they are noisy nowadays.

Best thing to do is wear earplugs and enjoy the fact helmets now pass a decent amount of air.

Yeah, my HJC is low end, now that I got to where I want to be with my bike and gear the helmet will be next on the upgrade list!

Karbyn_Blak

CBR650F ABS
Apr 6, 2022
Canberra, Australia
Riding Since
I currently have an RJays Dominator II. It fits my head really well, but it is a little noisy, definitely not the worst I've owned that's for sure.

I tried on a few different helmets ranging from $150 up to $1300 and I honestly couldn't tell much different in comfort and fit between the Rjays helmet and top end Shoei or Arai to be honest. I figure it's not about how much the helmet costs, but the fit and feel was the most important. Helmet tech has come a LONG way in 30+ years, and I really like my current helmet. I may upgrade in the future but for now I'm stoked with it.

IMG-2870.jpg

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hello

SHOEI NXR here. Love it. Light, comfortable (to my melon) and very good dealing with wind in the naked CB.

What is you experience with tinted visors? I hate using the sun glasses with the helmet. Not that they don´t fit right, they do, but with intense sun, bubs + pinlock and the sun glasses is too much disturbance for my vision!

1649409952109.png

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
Hello

SHOEI NXR here. Love it. Light, comfortable (to my melon) and very good dealing with wind in the naked CB.

What is you experience with tinted visors? I hate using the sun glasses with the helmet. Not that they don´t fit right, they do, but with intense sun, bubs + pinlock and the sun glasses is too much disturbance for my vision!

View attachment 11957
I moved to a tinted visor for those very reasons. and I dont tink I will go back. The only time I will take out the tinted visor is if I know il be riding a night. I would very rarely use the internal dropdown shades as I find the distortion on them to distracticting. (AGV k5)

oni

CB650R ABS
Aug 23, 2021
Italia
Hello

Same helmet here, i bought the medium smoke visor from shoei and i'm really pleased with it, helpfull with sun and not so dark to be a problem on night ride or in a tunnel

The dark smoke maybe is even better with sun, but too much dark for me, don't wanna go with two visor and have to change it every time the light is poor

Top Bottom