• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's What did you do with your 650 today?

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
Today, I picked up my bike from the local Honda dealer. I was a bad owner and neglected to have my valves checked and adjusted at 16,000 miles as recommended in the owner's manual. The bike has almost 22,000 miles so I thought it would be time to take care of that. Turns out that all the valves were in tolerances and no adjustments were needed. While they were in there, I decided to have them change the plugs since it's pretty simple at that point. So $400ish got me new plugs. Expensive for plugs, but I'm glad the engine is running well.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
The bike has almost 22,000 miles so I thought it would be time to take care of that. Turns out that all the valves were in tolerances and no adjustments were needed.
I’m not surprised at all to read this. Most Honda motors will go through the first valve check without needing anything changed and will have maybe one or two close/out at the second unless the bike lives it’s entire life at or near redline.

On the VFR forums it wasn’t unusual to have someone go 50,000 or 60,000 miles and still not need an adjustment.

GregTheWalrus3

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Riding Since
Sorry I haven’t been active lately... A couple weeks ago, I took advantage of an absolutely balmy December day (highs in the 50’s) and took the CB out to get one last tank of fuel cycled so it could be filled with fresh gas & stabilizer.

AC000C3D-8938-48EC-916C-C294B5C1D2EC.jpeg

Figured that would be my last ride of the season, but turns out I got a nice little bonus ride over this past weekend... The work at my house is winding down, and there’s now enough space for me to finally bring the bikes home from the storage unit!!

Luckily for me, it still hadn’t snowed enough for the roads to be salted yet - and just in time as yesterday it did snow overnight and now they’ve put down some salt. But at least my bikes are back at home safely now without having been exposed... And even though the ride was only a few miles and pretty damn cold, I had a huge grin on my face the whole time!!

It’s really nice having the remodeling (almost) done now and not affecting my daily life like it has for almost the last 6 months, and now I can start getting some winter maintenance / mods started when I feel like it. I have a good amount of planned changes (for both the CB & Grom) but the 2 major upgrades are a full Akrapovič exhaust and a new Öhlins rear shock - super excited about both!!

95650B6C-1640-4A4D-93C2-5BD8C3BBCC02.jpeg
Both the CB & Grom are safely back in the garage, safe from the elements and ready for their big winter upgrades & TLC - good way to end the year!! Let’s hope this winter is mild and short so we can get to puttin’ more miles down next spring 👍

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Polar opposite of above....salt remediation. I thought a xmas day run would be fun. Not a good idea. I hate the winter layover.

Attachments

• 20210101_182815[1].jpg
    20210101_182815[1].jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20210101_182854[1].jpg
    20210101_182854[1].jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 40

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
Snow and winter weather means it's been 10 days since I last got in a ride, and I was jonesing for some bike time. The weather has been clear the last couple of days, and the main roads are fine now, but it's been cold and the snow and ice on my street hasn't melted as fast as I'd like. More snow is coming in tomorrow, so I went out with an ice scraper and cleared a single track from my driveway and down the street. Here's the first 50 feet or so from my driveway:
Cleared Roadway.jpg

I scraped and cleared about 200 feet of ice to break free. And then I went for a wonderful ride while it was still sunny and a balmy 36 degrees out. Ahhh... so nice to get my fix.

blackvyper

CBR650R ABS
May 1, 2020
Regensburg, Germany
Riding Since
Polar opposite of above....salt remediation. I thought a xmas day run would be fun. Not a good idea. I hate the winter layover.
Look at all that space you have.. I'd have 6 bikes in there...lol. My garage is so small I can only fit about 4 in there, but at the moment only 2 occupy the space.

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Look at all that space you have.. I'd have 6 bikes in there...lol. My garage is so small I can only fit about 4 in there, but at the moment only 2 occupy the space.
I park my van in there too...but still have space for more toys...work in progress ;)

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Well, not today, but yesterday actually.
Was going to do a bit of riding with my brother, despite temperatures being around 1 or 2 °C (which is slightly above freezing point).
We both just wanted to get out because this covid lockdown we're in over here is driving us nuts.

Anyway, I needed to fill up on gas so we stopped at a nearby gas station. I realized I didn't bring a face mask (neither of us did) so I couldn't go inside to pay, so we decided to ride to another gas station that is unmanned and allows you to pay at the pump. Unbeknownst to us, this ended up being a blessing in disguise.

At the other gas station I filled up and wanted to start my bike again, but the starter engine just died down and the dash turned off. I tried again, but same thing. Oh no! Dead battery, probably.

Ok, no worries, I've got roadside assistance. I used the app on my phone to contact them and got a message they expected to be with me in 60 minutes. Oh damn, I gotta wait in this cold for an hour?

It was only then that I realized this gas station was less than a 10 minute walk away from my motorcycle dealership. The one where I bought the bike and bring it for maintenance. I gave them a call, but they couldn't pick me up, so I decided to just push the bike all the way there. It wasn't far, but pushing a 210kg bike, freshly topped off with fuel, hunched over because of the relatively low clip-on handle bars... it ain't what I do for fun 😅

I was quickly helped by the mechanics over there. Battery was dead and stayed dead so it had to be replaced. A bit of a bummer but oh well. I'm just glad it happened there and then, because anywhere else and I probably would've had to wait an hour for road side assistance.

At least we could continue our, somewhat shortened, ride.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Yesterday saw the start of the winter servicing... Coolant, oil and oil filter swap.

Next up... Front tyre and front brake pads while the wheel is off.

Hopefully a respray soon while it's in bits too.

J

danmccormick87

CB650R
May 21, 2020
Riding Since
Don’t really post, but thought I would post up. A lot has changed on the bike since the road trip this past summer and just got done with a quick wash (yes, I ride in the winter, she had salt on her, needed to get it off) Still so much more to do! Safe riding y’all!

29ABD17F-1C58-4800-8EA7-7EC0CE04A98B.jpegEDADABEB-F37C-4FA6-A470-9E8419B8A326.jpeg8BF10091-ADD2-4459-AD42-24F3B67F2D76.jpegF2C92F6D-7297-4B59-8444-82EBE5C47420.jpeg

jfgarro

CB650R ABS
Jun 20, 2018
Costa Rica
Riding Since
It's been a while, but I need to post my findings about some parts I bought some time ago from AliExpress. First, I took the decision to buy from this site, because....have you seen the prices??? One example: the OEM small plastic windshield price is about $150...but at $20, I took the risk of buy it from AliExpress, telling me "no problem, if this part have some defects, I can fix it with some glue, plastic filler and paint". And the same for the radiator grille and the headlight (protective) cover, but I really need those last parts because both my bike's radiator and headlight show battle scars from rocks. So with a checkout amount of less than $60 and my mind at peace because these parts aren't mechanical or structural (any can fall apart but my bike can go on), I clicked the "buy it now" button. Some weeks later, I received 3 boxes with these beauties:

IMG_5796.JPG

IMG_5797.JPG

IMG_5798.JPG

The radiator cover has a very good finish (the aluminium panel is flat, all the honeycomb cells are perfect in cut and shape), the plastic windshield came with a good finish aluminium central part, fake carbon fiber finish (clear coated), nice aluminium brackets and a really lovely CB sticker, and the headlight cover with 3M velcro stickers (real or fake, I can't tell). All with good protective foam covers and nice shipping boxes. Installation of those parts took me about 2 hours (I'm counting the time it took me clean the areas before putting any part), everything went without problems and the fit almost perfect...I can't be more happy!!! Some pictures of the final results:

IMG_5812.jpg

IMG_5882.JPG

Hope this can help for making any of you (and wife is this applies) also happy! Happy motoring!

PD: I now have another parts in the AliExpress basket, so this history will have second part!

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
It's been a while, but I need to post my findings about some parts I bought some time ago from AliExpress. First, I took the decision to buy from this site, because....have you seen the prices??? One example: the OEM small plastic windshield price is about $150...but at $20, I took the risk of buy it from AliExpress, telling me "no problem, if this part have some defects, I can fix it with some glue, plastic filler and paint". And the same for the radiator grille and the headlight (protective) cover, but I really need those last parts because both my bike's radiator and headlight show battle scars from rocks. So with a checkout amount of less than $60 and my mind at peace because these parts aren't mechanical or structural (any can fall apart but my bike can go on), I clicked the "buy it now" button. Some weeks later, I received 3 boxes with these beauties:

View attachment 9663

View attachment 9664

View attachment 9665

The radiator cover has a very good finish (the aluminium panel is flat, all the honeycomb cells are perfect in cut and shape), the plastic windshield came with a good finish aluminium central part, fake carbon fiber finish (clear coated), nice aluminium brackets and a really lovely CB sticker, and the headlight cover with 3M velcro stickers (real or fake, I can't tell). All with good protective foam covers and nice shipping boxes. Installation of those parts took me about 2 hours (I'm counting the time it took me clean the areas before putting any part), everything went without problems and the fit almost perfect...I can't be more happy!!! Some pictures of the final results:

View attachment 9668

View attachment 9669

Hope this can help for making any of you (and wife is this applies) also happy! Happy motoring!

PD: I now have another parts in the AliExpress basket, so this history will have second part!
Rad protector looks good. One of things I was considering from AliExpress. I've ordered some small bits from them like adjustable levers and brake reservoir cover and quality seems more than decent. +1 here for anyone looking at some cheap parts from AliExpress.

They finally have some gloss black and matte black air scoop covers for the CB650R but works out to about $80 CAD. I'm sure the fitment will be fine, just color matching the gloss black tank or the matte black fender and other parts of the bike might be fairly off.

Locomaaan

CB650R
Sep 10, 2020
Riding Since
Well I didn’t really do anything to my CB650R but I did get her a stable mate😅
I present my new but old 2003 CB919 Hornet
I think they look great together👌🏽
got a fantastic deal, I just couldn’t say no lol

Attachments

• 1C83BF3A-F531-443A-8FB4-90B1D0F80945.jpeg
    1C83BF3A-F531-443A-8FB4-90B1D0F80945.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 22A013C7-B7C2-4A82-A771-814375091024.jpeg
    22A013C7-B7C2-4A82-A771-814375091024.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Crazy weather again.
Last weekend we had temperatures as low as -10°C during the day and we were busy making snowmen, having snowball fights and skating on the frozen ponds and lakes. Today, it was 18°C and sunny. Fantastic riding weather. So me (CBR650F), my brother (MT-09) and his brother-in-law (z800) did a 150km ride today. It's been a month since I last sat on my bike (had the dead battery then) so it was great to have a nice sunny ride again.

Top Bottom