• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Gear What helmet(s) do you wear?

Danny88

CB650F ABS
Jul 8, 2018
This year I splurged a bit since I’m not commuting much anymore and bought a Bell Star which is a great helmet with one glaring drawback: no room in the ears for a communicator that won’t squish the shit out of your ears.

Lots of videos online showing people cutting out foam, drilling holes in the plastic, etc. but I’m not about to modify it to that point. If I CAREFULLY put it on, it’ll go on and be somewhat bearable for a few hours but my wife’s Bell Qualifier and buddy’s Bell Vortex BOTH have pockets in the liner for speakers and ample room for a communicator and both have no idea it’s even there comfort wise.

I took almost an hour getting my Sena 30k setup this spring and on my wife’s helmet it was literally a 10 minute setup.

Major oversight in my book and something to keep in mind when shopping for a new helmet.
I have the Star Carbon which has pockets for speakers. The Star is a great helmet for the price.

Monster13

CBR650F
Aug 7, 2018
Cleveland, OH
I was going to get the RPHA11 but they had a 1 day special on the RPHA10 for around 200usd these are
really great helmets. I hope you enjoy yours Monster13!

Thanks, I'm enjoying it. It's my 1st upgraded helmet. It's a little bit noisy but the ventilation is perfect for city traffic, even on the hottest days.

rustyeyed

CBR650F ABS
Oct 14, 2015
United Kingdom
How do the RPHA 10 and 11 differ from the RPHA ST and 70? Are they more sports oriented? If so, in what way?

RPHA 10 and 11 are more sport rider focussed (mostly for track but also can be used on road of course); the RPHA 70 is the evolution of RPHA ST - like the name says Sport touring so ventilation and sealing around neck for lower wind noise and comfort.

I think these helmets (RPHA 10/11) are not very good with impact and safety! Google is your friend for more research.

rustyeyed

CBR650F ABS
Oct 14, 2015
United Kingdom
All helmets are not created equal. using a race focused helmet on touring doesn't really help and each brand caters different head shape and fit, which no one seems to have mentioned in this discussion.

The helmet is a safety feature, it doesn't matter which one is better looking, if it doesn't do it's job it's pointless. SHARP ratings for popular helmets gives some shocking discoveries regarding safety on impact. (safety ratings again is a one whirlwind of different bodies rating things differently, so I have used SHARP for an example)

All I can say is be an 'intelligent customer' (that's actually a term and not an offensive statement)

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
RPHA 10 and 11 are more sport rider focussed (mostly for track but also can be used on road of course); the RPHA 70 is the evolution of RPHA ST - like the name says Sport touring so ventilation and sealing around neck for lower wind noise and comfort.

I think these helmets (RPHA 10/11) are not very good with impact and safety! Google is your friend for more research.
I own a RPHA ST and feel it's a comfortable helmet. I like the built-in sunvisor too. Was just wondering what the major differences would be between the ST/70 and 10/11, more in the sense of what exactly makes a helmet more sports oriented and that drawbacks does that have?

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Great videos. Same issues with motor oil on self-testing/approval on standards. Exactly why GM introduced the DEXOS program. Those who were manipulating the testing were the loudest screamers of actually having their fluids tested and approved.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
First ride this afternoon with the new Shark. Comments/observations after 30 min ride, mixed city and freeway:

1. Much lighter than my Shoei Qwest
2. Better airflow on hot day (low 80s)
3. Fits oval head, would not be comfy on big/round head
4. Internal visor is excellent
5. Much quieter than the Qwest, even with the chin cover retracted
6. Pinlock anti-fog works as advertised. Nice feature
7. Cutouts for communications (designed for theirs but others have been tested and work. Will verify with the Sena I ordered)

UPDATE: After a week of daily use, here are my comments:

1. Lower speed wind noise is low. Highway speeds (65mph -over) it's noisy and ear plugs are preferred.
2. Sena SHM10R bluetooth went right in the cutouts, works/sounds great. Battery pack even fit in the back slot so didn't have to external mount per the instructions
3. Slight tuck position the top vent flows a ton of fresh air through the helmet.

Conclusion: Great summer helmet. Ordered the Pinlock for my Shoei and will use it for cooler weather months. Good value for the $.

D55E8E6E-B0B8-4C04-AFCE-7E6EEDF53D91.jpeg

Last edited:

User2

CBR650F
Oct 23, 2018
Matte black ShoeI Qwest, same as many others. It suits me fine. My wife has the same model, same color.

Easy tough ups with a sharpie black marker. Comfy. Works well with glasses and has ample pockets for the UClear headphones I like best. No complaints.

Just got s new visor and that is nice!

chris.cestero

CBR650F ABS
Jan 9, 2018
Bath UK
I have two, my main everyday one is my Bell RS1 - got it on a killer deal for £60. Have to say it's amazing, for a sporty helmet it's got great wind protection, the visor is large and of course, very comfortable. Been around France with it no problem.

My other one is an AGV Veloce, also a sporty helmet and very light. However, the visor is crap unless you fancy having it locked down. It doesn't stay up, as it doesn't have a conventional clicky spots for the height adjustment. It's also a smaller helmet, tighter around your head. I would still recommend but maybe not as your main everyday helmet

Top Bottom