• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Bar end mirrors

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam
They are threaded and unscrew. If you look at them, you’ll see a junction about an inch and a half or so from the very end, just past the rubber sleeve. If you look at the pics in post #30 you’ll see a flat on the end of the weight and another to the inside of the rubber. Grab a set of wrenches and unscrew.

Thanks, but I think I know the reason for vibrations even after installed the sato weights. It is not because the length or how tight the joints were. It was the space between the handlebars and the weights. I cover the weights with layers of rubber and reinstall it and the vibrations decrease significantly.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Thanks, but I think I know the reason for vibrations even after installed the sato weights. It is not because the length or how tight the joints were. It was the space between the handlebars and the weights. I cover the weights with layers of rubber and reinstall it and the vibrations decrease significantly.
Glad to hear you found something that worked. There should be a rubber isolator on the weight already, correct? So you went over the whole thing with more rubber?

I’m actually surprised that worked so well: the theory behind the internal weights is the end “floats” and dissipates the vibration by acting like a longer handlebar. If you’ve removed all the air gap you’ve effectively made it all one solid piece. Perhaps the change in weight changed its resonant frequency; in any event, it’s working, so great!!!!

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam
Glad to hear you found something that worked. There should be a rubber isolator on the weight already, correct? So you went over the whole thing with more rubber?

I’m actually surprised that worked so well: the theory behind the internal weights is the end “floats” and dissipates the vibration by acting like a longer handlebar. If you’ve removed all the air gap you’ve effectively made it all one solid piece. Perhaps the change in weight changed its resonant frequency; in any event, it’s working, so great!!!!

Actually... the vibration never went away. I just did not notice because the vibration hit the hardest around 8000 rpm. Every gears. My local mechanic has the knowledge but motorcycles are not his profession. Only scooters and below 150cc motorcycles.

He looked at the OEM inner weights and it had more rubber and fit tightly to the inner handlebar so he stated that the sato inner weights also has to fit the diameter of the handlebar fully.

I really do not know how the inner weights function to dissipates the vibration. I would like to understand more if you have any articles or videos relate to this.

So to continue with the problem. I found out that because I only run with 1 rear mirror instead of 2 (1 is broken due to fragile). The side with the rear mirro only have minor vibration compared to the side with none. I switched the mirror and the vibration also changes to the side with no mirrow. During my run trial, I noticed the mirror blur alot when there were vibration. I concluded the mirror "absorbed" the vibration from the inner wieghts? So I think I will try to purchase a more heavier handle bar ends and another mirror for the broken one so see if the problem is fixed.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Actually... the vibration never went away. I just did not notice because the vibration hit the hardest around 8000 rpm. Every gears.

Yup, that is what you are doing by adding mass, shifting the resonance (vibration) to a frequency outside of normal running. You will have vibration, it's if you feel it.

My local mechanic has the knowledge but motorcycles are not his profession. Only scooters and below 150cc motorcycles.

He looked at the OEM inner weights and it had more rubber and fit tightly to the inner handlebar so he stated that the sato inner weights also has to fit the diameter of the handlebar fully.

He's sort of right, the Honda weights do fit fairly tightly, but that's more to hold it in place based on their weight design than a feature. Thing is there is no "need" for it to be tight, might be better if it's not. The Honda weights actually fit fairly loosely in the rubber damper which in turn is not solid but wavy.

I really do not know how the inner weights function to dissipates the vibration. I would like to understand more if you have any articles or videos relate to this.

Here is some info, but not the article I read a while ago that went in depth to the Honda /Sato design that uses length as well as mass to reduce vibrations:

I will continue to search for the article.

So to continue with the problem. I found out that because I only run with 1 rear mirror instead of 2 (1 is broken due to fragile). The side with the rear mirro only have minor vibration compared to the side with none. I switched the mirror and the vibration also changes to the side with no mirrow. During my run trial, I noticed the mirror blur alot when there were vibration. I concluded the mirror "absorbed" the vibration from the inner wieghts? So I think I will try to purchase a more heavier handle bar ends and another mirror for the broken one so see if the problem is fixed.

It's a mass thing. The weights themselves are not vibrating, they add mass which in turn would reduce the vibration felt. There will be vibration, no way around that. Whether it's bothersome or not ids the question. What I would do is run two mirrors and see if that helps.

Hardtosnap

CB650R ABS
Aug 4, 2019
Been looking into the Sato inner weights as well, but Sato racing ships from US and I'm in Europe which means they charge $39 for shipping. Anybody knows a distributor in Europe so I don't have to pay that much shipping?

velocityforce

CB650R
May 14, 2021
Riding Since
After reading through this thread and several others I am still inconclusive on the best and least invasive and lest expensive way to mount clamp on bar ends such as the CRG hindsight mirrors.

Been reading around and seeing options like replacing Honda weight with Sato weights (but what bar end do I get?) or moving the controls in 10mm (is that really all I have to do?) or getting a Highsider Bar End Mirror Mount (and then also needing a Barracuda Honda Handlebar Adapter OR 3D printing the item)

Seems the best course is getting the Highsider and 3d printing the handlebar adapter for the easiest and less complex way to mount the CRG's...or am I missing something?

Hoping for some clearer answers here...

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
After reading through this thread and several others I am still inconclusive on the best and least invasive and lest expensive way to mount clamp on bar ends such as the CRG hindsight mirrors.

Been reading around and seeing options like replacing Honda weight with Sato weights (but what bar end do I get?) or moving the controls in 10mm (is that really all I have to do?) or getting a Highsider Bar End Mirror Mount (and then also needing a Barracuda Honda Handlebar Adapter OR 3D printing the item)

Seems the best course is getting the Highsider and 3d printing the handlebar adapter for the easiest and less complex way to mount the CRG's...or am I missing something?

So i would suggest keeping in mind what makes the Honda bar ends different and go from there with the “best” way to deal with this:

Honda uses a “proprietary“ handlebar inner weight that is rubber mounted so it can and will spin, and their bar ends are “notched” and also proprietary.

So you need to decide how you want to deal with it. Either remove the OEM bar end and bar end weight and replace it with something that solidly mounts and uses a more “generic” bar end, and Sato makes inner weights as well as outer weights so you can just buy a setup and mount your mirrors to them.

Or as you said you can move your controls in and mount them to the the bars themselves which will entail you either removing the locating pins for the controls, drilling new locating pin locations or getting new bars.

I’m not sure what else to say or how else to guide you. You need to decide which route works for you and what you want to do. Me? I’d buy the Sato bar inner weight/bar end setups, remove the Honda inner weights and be done. That way you get bar end mirrors, factory bars are kept, no modifications needed of the controls and you will have bar weights which should reduce vibration. Win/win for around $60.

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019

I've gone and tried several of theses methods

1. Bar end mirrors with Honda adapter. Not a fan of it as the mirrors will spin and move out of place. The inner weights will rotate causing your mirrors to move.
2. I've also used the Sato weights which worked great but can be difficult to find. I found that it added more vibrations for me and wasn't worth it.
3. Removed the OEM weight completely and just run the bar end mirrors with any weights.

I never found the vibrations on the OEM bars to be too bad for me in comparison to some other members.

Currently running Rizoma drag bars and the inner diameter is too small to fit weights. I found this bar helped dampen the vibrations.

velocityforce

CB650R
May 14, 2021
Riding Since
So i would suggest keeping in mind what makes the Honda bar ends different and go from there with the “best” way to deal with this:

Honda uses a “proprietary“ handlebar inner weight that is rubber mounted so it can and will spin, and their bar ends are “notched” and also proprietary.

So you need to decide how you want to deal with it. Either remove the OEM bar end and bar end weight and replace it with something that solidly mounts and uses a more “generic” bar end, and Sato makes inner weights as well as outer weights so you can just buy a setup and mount your mirrors to them.

Or as you said you can move your controls in and mount them to the the bars themselves which will entail you either removing the locating pins for the controls, drilling new locating pin locations or getting new bars.

I’m not sure what else to say or how else to guide you. You need to decide which route works for you and what you want to do. Me? I’d buy the Sato bar inner weight/bar end setups, remove the Honda inner weights and be done. That way you get bar end mirrors, factory bars are kept, no modifications needed of the controls and you will have bar weights which should reduce vibration. Win/win for around $60.
This is the recommendation I was looking for. Which sato end caps will allow for clamping mirrors on the end though? After looking at their options it’s hard to determine which is best. CRG hindsight mirrors, FYI.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
This is the recommendation I was looking for. Which sato end caps will allow for clamping mirrors on the end though? After looking at their options it’s hard to determine which is best. CRG hindsight mirrors, FYI.
I’m not sure, I have not mounted the mirrors and don’t have a CB so I can only give general info. Here’s the Honda Sato link, find what you like and try to search around to see if you can order using the part number. I’ve had good luck with Amazon and Hard Racing are both good places.

Link:

TheManLA

CB650R
May 28, 2021
Riding Since
Sorry for being completely dumb but I just got my Cb650r and it’s my first bike. I read the thread and don’t quite understand what I should do to install bar end mirrors. Can I leave the OEM inner weights on and just get the bar end mirrors or do I need an additional piece to put on the bar, and if so what can I get so that the mirror will stay in place?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Sorry for being completely dumb but I just got my Cb650r and it’s my first bike. I read the thread and don’t quite understand what I should do to install bar end mirrors.

Answers:

Can I leave the OEM inner weights on and just get the bar end mirrors or do I need an additional piece to put on the bar

The stock Honda inner weights spin. It’s hard to do but they will spin and they also have a proprietary notch in them because they spin so you can tighten them. Normal bar end mirrors will rotate if you can cobble them onto the weight, you don’t want that. So no, you have to pull them out to have solid mounted bar end mirrors.

if so what can I get so that the mirror will stay in place?

Sato inner weights as linked above or depending on your mirror they will already come with inner bar mounts. So either way you need to pull the inners weights out and replace with the Sato (or other brand) mount or the mounts test come with your mirrors.

I’ve written this a bunch of times so I was brief on this one, but search for what’s been written already if you want more detailed info. Without knowing what mirrors and bars (are they aftermarket?) you have I can’t be any more specific.

TheManLA

CB650R
May 28, 2021
Riding Since
Answers:

The stock Honda inner weights spin. It’s hard to do but they will spin and they also have a proprietary notch in them because they spin so you can tighten them. Normal bar end mirrors will rotate if you can cobble them onto the weight, you don’t want that. So no, you have to pull them out to have solid mounted bar end mirrors.

Sato inner weights as linked above or depending on your mirror they will already come with inner bar mounts. So either way you need to pull the inners weights out and replace with the Sato (or other brand) mount or the mounts test come with your mirrors.

I’ve written this a bunch of times so I was brief on this one, but search for what’s been written already if you want more detailed info. Without knowing what mirrors and bars (are they aftermarket?) you have I can’t be any more specific.
Alrighty thank you so much! Since the sato inner weights are out of stock idk what I’m gonna do about getting new ones

Sudesh

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Nov 21, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Riding Since
Alrighty thank you so much! Since the sato inner weights are out of stock idk what I’m gonna do about getting new ones

Just look for resellers within America which l am sure there should be more than 1 unlike us here in Australia for a pair. I have them on my bike and they are amazing and reduce the vibrations immensely!

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
I'd love the opportunity to beat a dead horse here, if you could just bear with me for a moment. There have been a few different options discussed in this thread on what's needed in order to install bar end mirrors, but I'm still not 100% confident on how to install them. In using the Sato weight method, is the bar end that comes with it even relevant to the installation? If installing true bar end mirrors and not the clamp-on kind, the Sato bar end seems that it would be excluded from the installation. Is the diagram below an accurate representation of the installation?

unknown.png

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
I'd love the opportunity to beat a dead horse here, if you could just bear with me for a moment. There have been a few different options discussed in this thread on what's needed in order to install bar end mirrors, but I'm still not 100% confident on how to install them. In using the Sato weight method, is the bar end that comes with it even relevant to the installation? If installing true bar end mirrors and not the clamp-on kind, the Sato bar end seems that it would be excluded from the installation. Is the diagram below an accurate representation of the installation?

unknown.png
This is correct. You don't need the bar end from Sato when mounting a bar end mirrors style that is an inner bar mount style vs an outter clamp on style. Just make sure you use the bolt that is the same size and thread pitch for the Sato inner weight and that the head of the bolt is large enough (with or without a spacer if necessary) to properly secure the bar end mirrors. You'll know if it works or not when you've finished the install.

Edit: ensure you're using the hardware that came with the Sato bar ends. The convex piece that mates to the cone shape of the weights. This will tighten and wedge inside your bars to secure the mirror. Just the Sato bar end itself is not required.

Last edited:

AnanasIEgenJuice

CB650R
May 5, 2021
Riding Since
Thanks for the answers. I just received the frame sliders and are now looking into getting some bar end mirrors. Seems a bit difficult though because im not interested in removing the internal weight rod in the handlebar because of potential vibrations. So basically looking for a bar end mirror that grips around the bar end. I measured it at 31mm in diameter and the Rizoma mirrors looks like they only go up to 30mm...

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since

unknown.png
As Jluu @Jluu stated above you are correct for MOST bar end mirrors, however some actually clamp around the weight so you may need them depending on the mirror design.

I personally wouldn’t throw the actual bar end away because if you decide to sell the bike you may want to keep the mirrors or if you decide to change mirrors you’ll have a sweet bar end you can put on.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Just a little advise as I have been riding my cbr650f since 2014 from new. If you need bar ends, and most here do ,put them on. If you want better

mirrors please have a look at the mirrors on the cbr250r as they are about 1 1/2 in. longer than stock and screw right in. Now I don't know how they

will go on the cb650f but they are great on the cbr650f.

Top Bottom