• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Bar end mirrors

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam
So yes... I was a little confused as well and decided I needed to get THE MOST WEIGHT that I could. So I already had Rizoma bar ends and mirrors. The Rizoma ends were 30mm (supposedly) so I thought... well I'll buy the Sato LONG-style bar ends in the heavy stainless steel (which are 30mm) with the Inner Weights. However, my mirrors did not fit those bar ends. They were slightly different from the Rizoma ends. The good news was, the Rizoma ends matched perfectly to the new Inner Weights. I just screwed them in place of Rizoma hardware and bam... winning!! So basically I spent a bit more than I needed to because all I needed were the Inner Weights. I don't know what you have already, but as long as you get the inners, you're probably chill. You're going to love them! Buy with confidence and Sato shipped amazingly fast!!

Oh wow! if you have some pics fell free to share. I appreciated your fast reply :D

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
So yes... I was a little confused as well and decided I needed to get THE MOST WEIGHT that I could. So I already had Rizoma bar ends and mirrors. The Rizoma ends were 30mm (supposedly) so I thought... well I'll buy the Sato LONG-style bar ends in the heavy stainless steel (which are 30mm) with the Inner Weights. However, my mirrors did not fit those bar ends. They were slightly different from the Rizoma ends. The good news was, the Rizoma ends matched perfectly to the new Inner Weights. I just screwed them in place of Rizoma hardware and bam... winning!! So basically I spent a bit more than I needed to because all I needed were the Inner Weights. I don't know what you have already, but as long as you get the inners, you're probably chill. You're going to love them! Buy with confidence and Sato shipped amazingly fast!!
Yup, what you found out is why earlier I suggested to reaperfriend @reaperfriend in post #12 it didn’t matter what end he bought, the inners were what mattered. You may need to get a longer (or shorter) bolt but they should work great to mount whatever to.

I wish I could find the article I read when I was researching weights that went through why the long inners that Honda (and the Sato design) uses are so effective. I looked a few days ago and this morning again and can’t find it but basically weight, whether lighter or heavier, is only 1 factor. It’s something like the vibration travels along the bar and wants to shake the ends, if you have the long, isolated inner that is where the vibration wants to travel to. With it in the bar, and not on the end, it’s much more effectively dampened because you are sending it back to itself and it cancels itself out.

If you just do weights, it can affect your steering because you’re hanging weight on the end of the handlebar, way out in the arc of steering. Also, you need to package the weights, which becomes cumbersome very quickly so moving it inside the bar is effective.

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam
Yup, what you found out is why earlier I suggested to reaperfriend @reaperfriend in post #12 it didn’t matter what end he bought, the inners were what mattered. You may need to get a longer (or shorter) bolt but they should work great to mount whatever to.

I wish I could find the article I read when I was researching weights that went through why the long inners that Honda (and the Sato design) uses are so effective. I looked a few days ago and this morning again and can’t find it but basically weight, whether lighter or heavier, is only 1 factor. It’s something like the vibration travels along the bar and wants to shake the ends, if you have the long, isolated inner that is where the vibration wants to travel to. With it in the bar, and not on the end, it’s much more effectively dampened because you are sending it back to itself and it cancels itself out.

If you just do weights, it can affect your steering because you’re hanging weight on the end of the handlebar, way out in the arc of steering. Also, you need to package the weights, which becomes cumbersome very quickly so moving it inside the bar is effective.

Hi guys,

I installed the sato racing handle bar end with the inner weight yet the vibration are still unbearable. I mean it is not the same as the OEM and I expected it to be better ...

I installed step by step according to the instruction manual. Or is there something else I need to do after the installation ?[/QUOTE]

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hi guys,

I installed the sato racing handle bar end with the inner weight yet the vibration are still unbearable. I mean it is not the same as the OEM and I expected it to be better ...

I installed step by step according to the instruction manual. Or is there something else I need to do after the installation ?
Did you use the entire weight? It should be around 4” or so extending into the bar. Pictures of the install at all?

There really isn’t anything to “do” besides install them. I had all my vibration gone once I put them in.

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam
Did you use the entire weight? It should be around 4” or so extending into the bar. Pictures of the install at all?

There really isn’t anything to “do” besides install them. I had all my vibration gone once I put them in.

Thanks for the quick response to a novice rider, Mike! I thought so too without the picture, it will be hard to you to determine the problem.

I will try to take pictures and possible a video of the re-installation and hopefully you can point out the problem for me :nurse:

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam

PIC  (1).jpgPIC  (2).jpgPIC  (3).jpgPIC  (4).jpgPIC  (5).jpgPIC  (6).jpgPIC  (7).jpg

I took them out and reinstall again for your reference. Do you think I did any steps wrong ?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Nope, not at all. You could try removing the “end” weight, the last 2” or so unscrews, and see if that change helps. Maybe it’s hitting something or just a weird resonance??? I’m grasping at straws here a bit, I had basically ALL the vibration go away once I installed them.

I’m actually using the weights as a mount for my Throttlemeister throttle lock on the Ducati and even those vibrations are subdued by quite a bit from the stock ones. Weird.......

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam
Nope, not at all. You could try removing the “end” weight, the last 2” or so unscrews, and see if that change helps. Maybe it’s hitting something or just a weird resonance??? I’m grasping at straws here a bit, I had basically ALL the vibration go away once I installed them.

I’m actually using the weights as a mount for my Throttlemeister throttle lock on the Ducati and even those vibrations are subdued by quite a bit from the stock ones. Weird.......

thanks Mike as always very helpful and fast :happy:

Bm96

CB650F
Feb 26, 2020
Isn't the inner weight there for a reason? I just got back from a bike mechanic today trying to get ones I just bought installed, but he couldn't remove them and told me he needs to remove the throttle and grips. He said they probably make it that hard for a reason. Can anyone link the ones that attach directly to the outer piece?

Gmzzle

CB650R ABS
Jul 17, 2019
Riding Since
Your bike looks amazing with the bar end mirrors. I already bought all the Sato weights but before I pull the trigger on the Rizoma parts would you be willing to send me the part number for the Rizoma bar end you used that worked with the cb650R and the weight could screw onto the end? I was looking at this one but wanted to double check with someone who had already done it. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rizoma-pro-b-pro-bar-end-mirror-78-adapter

Thanks!

deadpedal

CB650R
Aug 27, 2019
Your bike looks amazing with the bar end mirrors. I already bought all the Sato weights but before I pull the trigger on the Rizoma parts would you be willing to send me the part number for the Rizoma bar end you used that worked with the cb650R and the weight could screw onto the end? I was looking at this one but wanted to double check with someone who had already done it. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rizoma-pro-b-pro-bar-end-mirror-78-adapter

Thanks!
Hey man! Sorry for the delayed response. Yes those adapters are what I bought. They are compatible with the Sato weights. It all screws together with a super nice finished look. I also think the additional weight of the mirror itself reduces vibrations further. It’s better than stock. I love the setup!

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
How easy did yours come out? I tried removing them but the outer sleeve is really jammed in the bar. I don't want to unscrew the whole thing and have the weight just fall inside the handlebars.

I installed mine hoping to reduce some vibration on the mirrors but it seems to be vibrating more than without the Sato weights. I think the tips of the weights are hitting the bar at high RPMs. Was thinking of wrapping some rubber bands at the ends but can't remove them now :dead:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
How easy did yours come out? I tried removing them but the outer sleeve is really jammed in the bar. I don't want to unscrew the whole thing and have the weight just fall inside the handlebars.

I installed mine hoping to reduce some vibration on the mirrors but it seems to be vibrating more than without the Sato weights. I think the tips of the weights are hitting the bar at high RPMs. Was thinking of wrapping some rubber bands at the ends but can't remove them now :dead:
Unscrew it a bit so it’s loose but not all the way and tap the screw end with a hammer, it’ll come loose then.

Try removing the last section of the Sato weights, the last 2” or do unscrew if you have the long ones, and see if that helps. Pretty sure I had yo do that on the Ducati to stop it from hitting a screw inside the bar from the switch pods.

They also should have come with a rubber “band” around the end which sjouke help.

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
Unscrew it a bit so it’s loose but not all the way and tap the screw end with a hammer, it’ll come loose then.

Try removing the last section of the Sato weights, the last 2” or do unscrew if you have the long ones, and see if that helps. Pretty sure I had yo do that on the Ducati to stop it from hitting a screw inside the bar from the switch pods.

They also should have come with a rubber “band” around the end which sjouke help.
Thanks! After some gentle persuasion and tool picks I was able to get the outer sleeve loose and free. The extra weight on the left side became unthreaded and fell off inside the handlebar - most likely the cause. Would recommend locktite to anyone installing the extra bit since the vibrations will probably loosen them free in time.

Took off the extra weights on both sides and hope that will cure the vibes. Would test it now but it's pouring rain ☹️

DanielSoli

CB650F ABS
Oct 31, 2018
Fredrikstad, Norway
Hi, I am also looking at bar-end mirrors and never thought of the vibrations it may cause.
The complete set for this setup is SATO inner weights (since they also sell this seperatly), rizoma Pro/B-Pro and some rizoma bar-end mirrors?
Thanks in advance

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam
Thanks! After some gentle persuasion and tool picks I was able to get the outer sleeve loose and free. The extra weight on the left side became unthreaded and fell off inside the handlebar - most likely the cause. Would recommend locktite to anyone installing the extra bit since the vibrations will probably loosen them free in time.

Took off the extra weights on both sides and hope that will cure the vibes. Would test it now but it's pouring rain ☹

how did you take out the extra bits on both side of the sato weights ? If it is possible please send some pics for reference.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
how did you take out the extra bits on both side of the sato weights ? If it is possible please send some pics for reference.
They are threaded and unscrew. If you look at them, you’ll see a junction about an inch and a half or so from the very end, just past the rubber sleeve. If you look at the pics in post #30 you’ll see a flat on the end of the weight and another to the inside of the rubber. Grab a set of wrenches and unscrew.

Top Bottom