• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Accessories plug

simondid

CBR650F ABS
Apr 3, 2018
where and how much did you pay for the connector the onces i can find is like 20 dollars with shipping :(

fergard

CBR650R ABS
Apr 20, 2018
Germany
Riding Since

fergard

CBR650R ABS
Apr 20, 2018
Germany
Riding Since
The plug comes out of the housing you see.

The housing is clipped to the frame... Look at yours for inspiration on how it clips there.
That sounds easy! I've spent 30 mins today trying to get it out, no luck. Should I use some tools, e.g. a long screwdriver?

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
So here's a plug I removed earlier :)

The bit with wires is the female (pins are folded over like a funny C shape).
2018-07-18 00.01.24.jpg2018-07-18 00.01.04.jpg

The bigger part is the male half. The male connector (which on the bike is just a blanking plug) is attached to the frame via a little clip that you can release with a screwdriver and slide sideways off the frame mount.
2018-07-18 00.01.57.jpg2018-07-18 00.02.18.jpg

The two connectors are held together by a smaller clip on the side of the male opening.
2018-07-18 00.01.42.jpg

I've also tried to show you where the rubber bits of the pins go. Your wires go through the (blue on yours) rubber into the metal parts, providing a weatherproof seal around the wires.
2018-07-18 00.02.18.jpg

Hope this helps,
J

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
It's really a case of taking the l/h side fairing off. Not a big job...

Undo 5 (I think) bolts - note the black ones on the trailing edge facing upwards (by the engine block) and by the headlight (also facing upwards).
Undo retaining pins in front of belly pan
Unclip indicator wire
Gently prise fairing panel off.

Profit.

J

fergard

CBR650R ABS
Apr 20, 2018
Germany
Riding Since
It's really a case of taking the l/h side fairing off.
I think someone said that it is possible to do without removing the plastic... I wonder if it's possible, I prefer not to remove it unless I have no other options...

fergard

CBR650R ABS
Apr 20, 2018
Germany
Riding Since
Yep, CBR, 2018 year.

Is yours a cb or cbr? The cbr has in by the headlight the cb has it behind the left hand coil pack.
So, there is no way reaching it without removing the whole headlight? o_O

Last edited:

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
I would say Honda have just relocated it somewhere else when they redesigned the headlight fixings.

It will be up under there somewhere, the question is where!

As the connector is used by the OEM Honda heated grips, I doubt they will have buried it too deeply (as no one will accept 4 hours of labour to install heated grips, just because you need to remove the headlight!). It doesn't make sense.

My original advice stands ... remove the side fairing panels and have a good look around under there for it!

J

Conundrum

CBR650F
Jun 18, 2014
Ontario, Canada
As the connector is used by the OEM Honda heated grips, I doubt they will have buried it too deeply (as no one will accept 4 hours of labour to install heated grips, just because you need to remove the headlight!). It doesn't make sense.
J

Don't forget to replace the air filter you need to pull all the fairings, raise the tank, and disconnect the fuel line. Anything is possible. lol

Guys, I still need some help on this topic.

1) I cannot pull out the accessory plug behind the headlight. It seems that it is locked by something, as well as it is located really deep - my hands cannot reach it. Any tips how do I pull it out, esp. without removing the plastic fairing?

I can't comment on the newer models, but on a 2014 gen bike, if anyone is having trouble separating the clip from behind the headlights (arms up in fairings), it is actually 1000x easier to just unclip the whole dummy plug from the actual bike. Essentially it is held on by a traditional Honda push pin style connection, but as you can access the rear (side facing the headlight), you can just pinch that, and it will "fall" out, meaning you can access both the plug and the cable easily. Also, in my case, I actually removed the push pin, mounted that on my actual connection, and then reattached it to the same point where the dummy plug was in the first place, saving me some zip ties.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
This was super useful, fortunately had most of the bits in the garage already and made my own plug from the blank cap. Have ordered a 12V to 5V & 2A converter block to fit between the plug and usb socket though so my Samsung has the correct charge when connected.

On a separate note, I'm looking into accessing the red 4 pin DLC socket under the seat using an OBD2 connector and attaching a Bluetooth OBD reader to the end of it. The goal is to potentially have some live data streamed to the Torque Pro app on the phone for reference while riding and maybe even a gear indicator on screen too. I'll keep you updated!

Kiwalian

CBR650F
Oct 4, 2018
To use the rear options plug on a 2018 CBR650F Will i need a min of 2 Sumitomo HM 90 connectors plus the rubber seal to hold it in and will I need to solder or will they crimp. How can I keep it waterproof can I use the dummy part of the connector or will i need to purchase one

Also which fuse is this plug connected to and will I need a the inline fuse on my USB charger and are one of the wires a ground negative wire

Cheers

Wayne

Top Bottom