Removing LAMS on 2017 CBR650F ABS

Splint

CBR650F ABS
Jul 21, 2018
I think I should have went with the ECU reflash cause I'm not that happy with the current map thats in the Power Commander v. My dealer talked me into the PCV and said he could dyno tune it for me but has back tracked since it turned up saying the map supplied would be spot on. Anyway I need to tech up a bit and throw my laptop at and play around abit. Pls send maps people. DNA filter, IXIl full exhaust 3M I think. Thanks.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I think I should have went with the ECU reflash cause I'm not that happy with the current map thats in the Power Commander v. My dealer talked me into the PCV and said he could dyno tune it for me but has back tracked since it turned up saying the map supplied would be spot on. Anyway I need to tech up a bit and throw my laptop at and play around abit. Pls send maps people. DNA filter, IXIl full exhaust 3M I think. Thanks.
A Power Commander can only change so much of the signal it’s getting from the ECU that I don’t see it being a replacement for a proper spec ECU. So someone with a PCV map from an unrestricted bike won’t help you and your poor running.

I think your dealer over promised and under delivered. And you need a correct ECU to make everything work right.

Splint

CBR650F ABS
Jul 21, 2018
A Power Commander can only change so much of the signal it’s getting from the ECU that I don’t see it being a replacement for a proper spec ECU. So someone with a PCV map from an unrestricted bike won’t help you and your poor running.

I think your dealer over promised and under delivered. And you need a correct ECU to make everything work right.
That's true about the dealer. There isn't a tune on the PC website that will come anywhere close for an Australian LAMS bike. As most people from Oz say you need a custom map to fully derestrict. This is 100% TRUE. I've done a ton of research and have spoke to 4 different bike tuning shops and today I got a flat out balls to the wall map installed. 265k top speed and it gets there pretty damn quickly. I'd love to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to Fred at PRO CYCLE DYNO Slacks ck Brisbane. Be aware you need to get an o2 sensor delete as they don't come with the pcv anymore. I'm Sooo happy as I can now keep up with my mates on litre bikes and a few on Bussers... Till we hit 220 k then they're gone. FYI

Splint

CBR650F ABS
Jul 21, 2018
That's true about the dealer. There isn't a tune on the PC website that will come anywhere close for an Australian LAMS bike. As most people from Oz say you need a custom map to fully derestrict. This is 100% TRUE. I've done a ton of research and have spoke to 4 different bike tuning shops and today I got a flat out balls to the wall map installed. 265k top speed and it gets there pretty damn quickly. I'd love to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to Fred at PRO CYCLE DYNO Slacks ck Brisbane. Be aware you need to get an o2 sensor delete as they don't come with the pcv anymore. I'm Sooo happy as I can now keep up with my mates on litre bikes and a few on Bussers... Till we hit 220 k then they're gone. FYI

User6

CBR650F ABS
Feb 4, 2018
Thank you so much for the information about Dynobike S @Splint
I’m so happy to know I don’t have to sell my bike for a full powered one!

Last edited:

gunmetalgrey

CBR650F ABS
Jul 20, 2018
Sorry, I haven't replied to a couple questions on this thread.. so after I got my bike back, the performance is pretty much the same until it hits 3,000 revs and then it absolutely howls... gone from 47hp to 80 but the torque is ridiculously improved. Sorry, the mechanic created a custom map on the power commander and refused to share it. I definitely did make a point of asking. If you are in SA, the name is Neville Lush Racing. He is a proper tuning expert.

User6

CBR650F ABS
Feb 4, 2018
Absolutely mate!
Big thanks to Sudesh @Sudesh who recommended a place that do it for $850 and the process is fully reversible when it’s time to sell :)

Last edited:

User6

CBR650F ABS
Feb 4, 2018
Guys, how important is a full exhaust system? It is necessary or just beneficial?
Platinum Motorcycles want my bike for a week so I'm going through Dynobike who will do it on the same day.

Last edited:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Guys, how important is a full exhaust system? It is necessary or just beneficial?
Platinum Motorcycles want my bike for a week so I'm going through Dynobike who will do it on the same day.
There is no difference between a LAMS stock exhaust and a full power one. So I’d say it’s definitly not a necessity in the conversion.

Steveh

CBR650F
Mar 6, 2019
'
I have just picked up my 2018 Cbr650f bike( south Australian ) and have searched the forum for derestrict lams ecu tune.
Can you let me know how much it cost ,how much of a difference it has made and can it be reversed back if need to sell as lams approved bike. Did you keep your stock exhaust.?

I see you got it done at Neville,s does he have a workshop in Adelaide or only in Victa

Need for speed ! Urgent request

User6

CBR650F ABS
Feb 4, 2018
I was told it can be reverse for the same cost ($950 in my case).

Also seems an exhaust is hardly beneficial for this type of bike unless you want to be heard.

No way can I justify $1.5k just for that.

No slip on option available unless you cut the pipe which I have no intention of doing.

Apart from a flash and tune, I’m told a few modifications are also required.

Last edited:

Steveh

CBR650F
Mar 6, 2019
How much difference has removing the restriction improved the bikes performance. I I read unrestricted time 0-100 of 4.8 secs , which is not really impressive I get that out of a cbr 500r, but I suppose the lams rating is the same for both bikes.

Just want to make sure removing the lams restriction is worth it in the bikes performance.

Steveh

CBR650F
Mar 6, 2019
3.5 secs more like it
What has been your experience now you have derestricted the bike, is it equivalent to an Cbr650f f unrestricted bike from factory?
where is the power band ,does it kick in a lot harder
What hp and torque did you achieve on the Dyno / remap. Top speed??
Mechanic in south Australia charges $1050 for power commander v ,machining the air restrictions ,and custom tune says it take about 4-5 hours from start to finish and indicated it went form 37 hp (wheels ) to 79 hp .
I’m just want to be sure that the power increase is significant before committing .
Thanks

User6

CBR650F ABS
Feb 4, 2018
It’s booked in for next week so I’ll let you know how I go.

Mine is replacing the intake funnels with the larger version so I don’t know why yours machine them?

He didn’t mention anything about a power commander either.

Steveh

CBR650F
Mar 6, 2019
How is the bike now !
Do I’d they reflash the cpu or install PC v
Did they block of the pair valves and o2 sensor?

I,m still waiting to commit ,would love to hear how it changed the performance of the bike.

User6

CBR650F ABS
Feb 4, 2018
HUGE gains.
Apparently our bike is the best for de-restricting as the other LAMS bikes don't get anywhere near as much power.
They installed an O2 sensor eliminator and modified the inlet funnels which I'm going back to replace with non-restricted inlet funnels for a cleaner job.
Unfortunately, Honda Australia wont supply the non-restricted inlet funnels without a VIN so he has to order the part from the US.
Flashed the ECU with custom mapping and completed a tune.
I'm happy with the result but want to go full ham with a DNA air filter, oil filter, oil change and Yoshimura full system for even more gains.
Will let you know how I go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom