• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650R Phone mount

flyinpiranha

CB650R ABS
Aug 14, 2020
Riding Since
Rokform mount killed my LG-V30 camera after one ride ... 😞

Quick note, it's OIS (optical image stabilization) that can be damaged. This is because it's moving parts. EIS (electronic image stabilization) does not have the moving parts and is done through software.

So on the LG V30 there's two cameras ... one that is wide angle and has EIS and the closer one that is OIS. I can still use the wide angle.

Interestingly enough, I had a QuadLock with their USB charger on my CB500F and used it a lot, never had the issues. My wife now has that bike and her phone (same type) is on there daily for her commute to work and it hasn't had an issue. Not sure if it's the mounting point of where I put the Rokform but there is ZERO dampening going on outside of the little rubber ring.

I dunno, the camera is already f'ed ... so I'll probably still use it, but I think moving forward I'll just have to either 1) get a real GPS for bikes or 2) keep the new phone in the tank bag map section or something.

I don't like the audio directions, especially when almost all of the time I use a map is just to make sure I know my way home even though I may not be heading there. I just set it for 'Home' and then wherever my cruise takes me into odd areas around here, I always can just glance down and see what turn I need to take to start heading back ... having Google constantly tell me to turn was annoying when I used it ..

iQuit

CBR650R ABS
Apr 16, 2019
I tried the stem mount, pretty happy with it tbh. I think it is the perfect position for phone mount on sportbike. However, it's not sturdy enough, I mean, it rotates, not uncontrollably but with a relatively light amount of force it will move my phone a little bit, which makes me quite uncomfortable. Maybe it's my fault for not installing them correctly (?!). Is anybody having this issue or is it just me?
However, I want to put on the steering damper on (exactly) that position as well so yeah, have to move it to a side - clutch mount is my second favourite position. So far so good, no problem whatsoever except the viewing angle might not be as good as at stem nut position but yeah, it's life, have to deal with it.

Attachments

• 118768570_2835639516537194_4785112217886232537_n.jpg
    118768570_2835639516537194_4785112217886232537_n.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 93849873_2537885063196437_6679452595217498112_n.jpg
    93849873_2537885063196437_6679452595217498112_n.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 46

quigonquinn

CBR650R
Feb 17, 2020
I have the same problem with my stem mount. no matter how much I tighten the mount screw, it still rotates. I think I'm going to just take some super glue to it and see what happens. I dont plan on removing it any time soon

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
However, it's not sturdy enough, I mean, it rotates, not uncontrollably but with a relatively light amount of force it will move my phone a little bit, which makes me quite uncomfortable. Maybe it's my fault for not installing them correctly (?!).
I have the same problem with my stem mount. no matter how much I tighten the mount screw, it still rotates.
for both of you, I mentioned earlier in this thread that the RAM brand offset mount will rotate and that their plug/rubber setup isn't stable. Get something similar to this:

Amazon product

I am not sure of the internal diameter of the Honda stem, but measure it and buy the correct size with wedge/metal shaft mount and it will be VERY solid.

Cbr2020

CBR650R ABS
Sep 10, 2020
Somewhere in,VA
Riding Since
I just installed the RAM stem mount and it’s solid as a rock. I watched some YouTube video of the guy from RAM doing an install and followed that. It is NOT moving at all.

Ive

CBR650R ABS
May 13, 2020
USA
This, I've got the Ultimate Addons stem mount and it's absolutely solid. It uses a wedge shape to secure itself and I think I could lift the bike using the stem mount it's that secure.

pyxtbqusurw_2000x.jpg
Rafe, I like the way this grips the yoke over the very few other options out there for our 19mm yokes, but I don't like how tall the ball stem is.

Is the black ball stem (composite/plastic I assume) portion, separate to the lower metal portion that grabs the yoke? If so, anything you could see being an issue if I was to trim a quarter inch or so off the bottom of the black ball stem portion before attaching it all together on the bike? I assume they are apart when you first receive the mount kit, but couldn't find any photos online that would verify that or not.

Thank you in advance!

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
Rafe, I like the way this grips the yoke over the very few other options out there for our 19mm yokes, but I don't like how tall the ball stem is.

Is the black ball stem (composite/plastic I assume) portion, separate to the lower metal portion that grabs the yoke? If so, anything you could see being an issue if I was to trim a quarter inch or so off the bottom of the black ball stem portion before attaching it all together on the bike? I assume they are apart when you first receive the mount kit, but couldn't find any photos online that would verify that or not.

Thank you in advance!

It's all one piece as far as I remember. It's pretty small in length so not sure why you'd want to make it any smaller. With the phone case attached it barely clears the tank when you're full left/right lock on the handlebars. I am thinking of buying the 3 inch extender to bring it closer to me so that I don't have to look down as far.

Reactions: Ive

volkein

CB650F ABS
Jan 28, 2020
I already have a a Ram-Mount and a X-grip but I need a case for my phone to get through the winter. I have a 6'7 Redmi Note 9S and I can't find a cover that fit my phone. Any ideas ?

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
quadlock just released the vibration dampener

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
quadlock just released the vibration dampener

Looks like they've done a good job at fixing the vibration problem. It will be interesting to get some feedback on them once out in the real world.

Awgmat

CB650R ABS
Jun 7, 2019
I got the quad lock vibration dampener the other day. Nice piece of kit, and should certainly minimise the high frequency vibrations. Mounted under the wireless charging puck - all working well together. Recommended.

flyinpiranha

CB650R ABS
Aug 14, 2020
Riding Since
Cool, thanks for the heads up about the Quadlock dampener, I ordered that for my wife's bike just to be safe. I actually went a different route for mine. Since I love SW-Motech bags, I found they had a GPS attachment that fits a lot of their tank bags, unfortunately my LG V60 is a beast of a phone and too big for most of the things they had (Map bag was a little cumbersome, and the phone bag was a pain to get the phone in and out of due to its waterproofness).

I went with buying the GPS mount, an Otterbox, and some small screws and nuts and made my own mount. While I do have to have the tank bag attached, it works great. Absolutely no vibration, even at 9k+ RPM since it sits on the bag itself. Perfectly in view also (which was a downside to the map/phone bag attachment, I really had to 'look down' to see the directions). Went on a 3 hour ride through various straights and twisties and it worked great, phone is secure and absolutely no vibration.

Attachments

• 20201002_072439.jpg
    20201002_072439.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 20201002_072412.jpg
    20201002_072412.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • 20201002_072401.jpg
    20201002_072401.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 20201002_072509.jpg
    20201002_072509.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 75

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
Cool, thanks for the heads up about the Quadlock dampener, I ordered that for my wife's bike just to be safe. I actually went a different route for mine. Since I love SW-Motech bags, I found they had a GPS attachment that fits a lot of their tank bags, unfortunately my LG V60 is a beast of a phone and too big for most of the things they had (Map bag was a little cumbersome, and the phone bag was a pain to get the phone in and out of due to its waterproofness).

I went with buying the GPS mount, an Otterbox, and some small screws and nuts and made my own mount. While I do have to have the tank bag attached, it works great. Absolutely no vibration, even at 9k+ RPM since it sits on the bag itself. Perfectly in view also (which was a downside to the map/phone bag attachment, I really had to 'look down' to see the directions). Went on a 3 hour ride through various straights and twisties and it worked great, phone is secure and absolutely no vibration.
That’s a mount option I’ve been looking at
Definitely vibration free
I like it!!!

LB2020

CB650R ABS
Sep 21, 2020
Riding Since
I got the quad lock vibration dampener the other day. Nice piece of kit, and should certainly minimise the high frequency vibrations. Mounted under the wireless charging puck - all working well together. Recommended.
I'm waiting on the dampener as the vibrations already trashed a brand new iPhone 12 Pro for me on a Tackform Enduro Mount (which I really like sadly). Just curious how it's been working out for you. I've seen mixed reviews on its effectiveness with a few youtube videos that measured the vibrations with/without the dampener. It seems like there are MANY variables that can affect this, phone model, mount, type of motorcycle/engine, mount placement, etc., and does seem to be more prevalent with iPhones. Luckily apple will replace under warranty, but it's such a pain to transfer everything over to a new phone.

Top Bottom