• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650R Phone mount

ShutterBugOnWheels

CBR650R ABS
Aug 21, 2019
India
Where did you mount the USB charger on the bike? I'm looking to do the same so I'm interested.

I took a 1 inch SS pipe, flattened both ends, covered with a 30mm heat shrink and bolted to the top nut of the yolk. That allowed me to freely mount the devices.

Kind of a mini-handle bar if you will.

This was a proof of concept. Tested this on multiple long rides and held up nicely. Plan now is to use a 3/4 inch pipe and weld angled strips to not waste the flattened area. This gives me an extra 1/2 inch on both sides.

One thing to keep in mind, when you order the USB charger, make sure it's potted (google potting electronics) otherwise the PCB/soldering inside the container will ot hold up with all the vibrations. I broke 4 chargers before I realized what's happening (opened one up to see). Then I found one that's potted.

20191017_130552.jpg

20191017_130521.jpg

Danil14

CB650R
May 21, 2020
Riding Since
LaurenceH @LaurenceH : I usea Tecmate Optimate Adapter together with the Honda 12 Volt socket for the Quadlock USB Charger. So you can charge only as long as the ignition is on.
I am considering buying the same quadlock setup. Could you please provide me with some details? If I understood correctly you connected the tecmate Optimate Adapter (what is the model?) to honda cigarette light socket?

koofdome

CB650F
Apr 27, 2020
Chicago, USA
Riding Since
Hey guys,

What do you suggest for phone mount on my CBR650R? I'm not big fun of stem mount, do you have any other suggestions?

BEWARE if you have a newer iPhone. They have electronic camera stabilizers & I have had nothing but issues from phone mounts on my motorcycles. RAM mounts, knockoff mounts, stem mounts, handlebar mounts, I have tried them all. Each one broke my camera's stabilizer.

Fortunately, that part is always covered under manufacturer defect warranty, so Apple will fix the problem for free. But it is very unfortunate it happens. It has happened to my 7 Plus, my 8 Plus, and now my XS Max over the years.

I would recommend a magnetic tank bag instead with a phone pouch to use. Each of my friends that used phone mounts had the same problems with their cameras after using a mount on their bikes. Even with a stem mount (the most solid mount), the vibrations just seem to be too much for a modern phone with stabilizing technology in the camera's focus. Your camera will break & not focus & will make very weird clicking noises (the stabilizer trying to focus the image).

If you don't have an iPhone, ignore this long comment lol..... I am not sure if Android devices use electric camera stabilizing technology.

Last edited:

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
BEWARE if you have a newer iPhone. They have electronic camera stabilizers & I have had nothing but issues from phone mounts on my motorcycles. RAM mounts, knockoff mounts, stem mounts, handlebar mounts, I have tried them all. Each one broke my camera's stabilizer.

Fortunately, that part is always covered under manufacturer defect warranty, so Apple will fix the problem for free. But it is very unfortunate it happens. It has happened to my 7 Plus, my 8 Plus, and now my XS Max over the years.

I would recommend a magnetic tank bag instead with a phone pouch to use. Each of my friends that used phone mounts had the same problems with their cameras after using a mount on their bikes. Even with a stem mount (the most solid mount), the vibrations just seem to be too much for a modern phone with stabilizing technology in the camera's focus. Your camera will break & not focus & will make very weird clicking noises (the stabilizer trying to focus the image).

If you don't have an iPhone, ignore this long comment lol..... I am not sure if Android devices use electric camera stabilizing technology.

I recently switched from iPhone 7 to the 11, within the first week the camera started with a mechanical noise and could not focus anymore.
The phone has been replaced, but luckily the new one never had any issues with the Quadlock handlebar mount, also I've added the Quadlock charger to it and I think it reduced the vibration in somehow, so probably that helped with the issue.

I recently removed the extension arm, I hope it won't affect the phone anymore.

Last edited:

Mickey

CBR650F
Jul 9, 2020
Riding Since
I use the quad lock with its own mounting system on the left handlebar. Check out my posts to see photos etc.

https://650f.bike/threads/quad-lock-cbr650r.1496/
I use the quad lock with its own mounting system on the left handlebar. Check out my posts to see photos etc.

https://650f.bike/threads/quad-lock-cbr650r.1496/
Hi I have a 2016 CBR 650F and seen your post about using a quad lock mount how are you getting on with it as I have tried different ones and have never got one to fit my bike.Im thinking of getting one what advice would you give.

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
Hi I have a 2016 CBR 650F and seen your post about using a quad lock mount how are you getting on with it as I have tried different ones and have never got one to fit my bike.Im thinking of getting one what advice would you give.

quad lock mount is a very good one, very sleek. It's a bit expensive if you pair it with the phone case. You can also buy the adhesive support to attach to the existing case to save some $$.

My only suggestion at the moment, wait until the vibration dampener comes out, the high pitch vibration from the engine will ruin (it happens quite often) the optical stabilization of the camera. (I had to replace iPhone 11 under warranty once and stopped using the quad lock since then, also because I did not need the gps since then)
As far as I know, Quadlock is the only company developing this kind of solution. The only downside of this solution, it won't be so sleek anymore.

AlexS

CBR650R ABS
Apr 3, 2019
After so much deliberation I finally decided on the stem mount from RAM, with the short arm and x-grip. Bought all items separately but you can also buy a kit.

My two main reasons for the stem mount:

1. Didn’t want the hassle of changing cases like the quad lock requires, and I wouldn’t want the quad lock case on all the time.

2. Wanted something central and not off to the side on my handle bar, so it’s easy to see.

It is fully secure in the stem (can’t be pulled out), but it can be rotated by hand. This is actually quite handy because I might change the phone position on different rides. It stays in place and doesn’t move when riding, and my commute includes some bumpy cobbles!

My phone is an iPhone XR. In the best position I can glance down to see a map without much head movement. Phone sits up quite high but not above my double bubble windshield - prob would be fine for standard windshield too. Doesn’t interfere with dashboard.

View attachment 3860View attachment 3861View attachment 3862View attachment 3863
Hi, can you please tell if your stem ball mount rotates or you were able to secure it. I installed the same mount but doesn't matter how much i tie the screw I can still rotate it.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hi, can you please tell if your stem ball mount rotates or you were able to secure it. I installed the same mount but doesn't matter how much i tie the screw I can still rotate it.
What stem mount did you buy, the RAM one with the offset arm? Those are tricky to get to stay put, I’ve never successfully gotten them to stay long term myself so I’ve bought enough other ones that have a metal base and sort of a “sliding wedge“ for a mount that work better. Lots of companies out there make them, search around a bit.

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
What stem mount did you buy, the RAM one with the offset arm? Those are tricky to get to stay put, I’ve never successfully gotten them to stay long term myself so I’ve bought enough other ones that have a metal base and sort of a “sliding wedge“ for a mount that work better. Lots of companies out there make them, search around a bit.

This, I've got the Ultimate Addons stem mount and it's absolutely solid. It uses a wedge shape to secure itself and I think I could lift the bike using the stem mount it's that secure.

pyxtbqusurw_2000x.jpg

AlexS

CBR650R ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Thanks man, Yes it's the RAM one. good to know it's not me. Will search around.

Karu

CBR650R ABS
Jul 21, 2020
Riding Since
After so much deliberation I finally decided on the stem mount from RAM, with the short arm and x-grip. Bought all items separately but you can also buy a kit.

My two main reasons for the stem mount:

1. Didn’t want the hassle of changing cases like the quad lock requires, and I wouldn’t want the quad lock case on all the time.

2. Wanted something central and not off to the side on my handle bar, so it’s easy to see.

It is fully secure in the stem (can’t be pulled out), but it can be rotated by hand. This is actually quite handy because I might change the phone position on different rides. It stays in place and doesn’t move when riding, and my commute includes some bumpy cobbles!

My phone is an iPhone XR. In the best position I can glance down to see a map without much head movement. Phone sits up quite high but not above my double bubble windshield - prob would be fine for standard windshield too. Doesn’t interfere with dashboard.

View attachment 3860View attachment 3861View attachment 3862View attachment 3863
This is exactly what I need !
On my bike I have a black cap on the nut. How do I remove it to be able to insert the mount in the stem?
Thanks

quigonquinn

CBR650R
Feb 17, 2020
This is my current setup

View attachment 5045
I'm wondering what that piece is, directly behind the X grip. The black plastic, kind of spider web looking thing. It came in my Ram mount, too. But the instructions did't mention anything around using it. What are you using it for?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations to get the mount to stop spinning? The stem plug itself is tight, but the part with the ball on it, just above the stem mount, is spinning as the screw can't get tight enough to hold it in place. Wanted to see any suggestions before I just took some super glue to it

Karu

CBR650R ABS
Jul 21, 2020
Riding Since
Thank you quigonquinn quigonquinn !
I have bought the fork stem mount from Quad Lock. I have also purchased the wireless charging head. It's neat and works fine.
All together about $190. Not cheap but I like the result.

Attachments

• IMG_5319 (Large).jpg
    IMG_5319 (Large).jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5320 (Large).jpeg
    IMG_5320 (Large).jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 95

koofdome

CB650F
Apr 27, 2020
Chicago, USA
Riding Since
I have a question for iPhone and the RAM X-Mount users (stem version). Has anyone's iPhone camera ever been permanently affected by the mount or the vibrations of the engine coming through the stem?

My old iPhone 8 camera and now my iPhone XR camera both have "shaking issues" while trying to focus on things while trying to take photos (camera is not in the mount when I'm taking the photo). I have tried factory defaulting them in case of an app issue, but no luck. Upgraded to iOS13 too and still have a problem.

Just curious if anyone has ever had this same issue? Thanks in advance.
Yes, friend of mine is an apple tech. The newer iphones have electronic camera stabilizers and heavy vibrations cause them to break. This will cause the camera to not focus and look "wavy" and jittery. I never mount my iphone anymore since i had TWO phones break on me. Apple will replace the part free of charge due to manufacturer defect, but it is still a headache.

Simply the fact is if you have a newer phone, don't mount them. I use a tank bag instead now for GPS if needed.

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
Tired of waiting for the vibration dampener, I’ve made one my own
Today I’ve installed the quadlock on my second bike, gonna do the same on the CB as well
Not as fancy as the one they’re currently developing, but it’s worth a try

Didn’t tested it yet

4EECAF6E-3B5B-46ED-A84D-0D813EEEC616.jpegB42C1B69-1479-4175-8250-FFE3495AE4E0.jpeg1CA7DF02-6C29-4144-994D-F86E6C54047E.jpeg803AD764-E98E-4791-AC9F-7CDE041FBE68.jpeg
282E79F3-AACE-4A63-AEFB-64AA88A92DAF.jpeg

Top Bottom