• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Gear Indicator

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
ok cheers and what type of stand do you have? did you sit on it at the time? I would be nervous.
Same as the 2 above. Used rear only paddock stand (I have the front/rear set linked here: http://650f.bike/threads/2014-matte-black.10/)

And as I stated, I was nervous! I did sit on the bike, right foot on the ground for stability, left foot working the gears. I may be a bit off, but, the rear wheel got up over 55 mph before all was done.

But, it remained stable. No issues. I'd do it on the rear stand again.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Not to be rude or anything but, the vast majority of members here have had several bikes and been riding for quite some time covering tens of thousands of miles. Is a gear indicator really that much of a necessity for you guys? Or anyone? Especially at $160 a piece.

By comparison this is my first bike and I've only covered 5,600 miles on it. I've never felt the need for one. You can tell very easily what gear you're in from the feel of it and the speed you're doing. I mean, no offence OP but, if you're stalling in forth from crawling you're doing something very wrong and need to go back to basic training!

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
Hi Daniel,
I too do not feel the need for a gear indicator, but customising bikes is part and parcel to ownership for many.

Way back in the 1990s I scored a gear indicator on my 2nd bike. it was great and rad and eventually I stopped caring about it.
Most of the people who use it cite that in heavy traffic, running up and down the gears like a monkey with a cup can leave you with NFI what gear you are in, which is a valid reason to have one. I myself was in 4th and stalled doing about 25km/h because I was slowed a bit much while filtering. the bike didn't stop as I pulled the clutch just as it died. I've been playing this game for over 20 years.

It is also fair to give the opposed view on the need for any mod. pros and cons are all fair in helping make a considered and informed choice. even if we personally think the person is barmy.

h0ck3y

CBR650F ABS
Feb 6, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Not a necessity, just a nice to have. Everyone knows riding a bike takes full concentration and hey, sometimes it is easy forget what gear the bike is in ... and when I say forget, I'm talking about being off by +/- 1 gear. I've talked to many riders without a gear indicator and they've all said the same thing (especially the cruiser riders). The fact that even all of the professionals who reviewed the CBR650F's complained about the lack of a gear indicator seems to suggest that they even use it from time to time.

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
Not a necessity, just a nice to have. Everyone knows riding a bike takes full concentration and hey, sometimes it is easy forget what gear the bike is in ... and when I say forget, I'm talking about being off by +/- 1 gear. I've talked to many riders without a gear indicator and they've all said the same thing (especially the cruiser riders). The fact that even all of the professionals who reviewed the CBR650F's complained about the lack of a gear indicator seems to suggest that they even use it from time to time.
that's a trap, professional reviews have very little to compare except the small details that are different from other bikes. in the context of a sometimes learner, low end sports tourer it could do with one from the factory. as a budget model, maybe not.

GoaCBR

CBR650F
Feb 1, 2016
Candolim Goa
Not to be rude or anything but, the vast majority of members here have had several bikes and been riding for quite some time covering tens of thousands of miles. Is a gear indicator really that much of a necessity for you guys? Or anyone? Especially at $160 a piece.

By comparison this is my first bike and I've only covered 5,600 miles on it. I've never felt the need for one. You can tell very easily what gear you're in from the feel of it and the speed you're doing. I mean, no offence OP but, if you're stalling in forth from crawling you're doing something very wrong and need to go back to basic training!
"Not to be rude" but then get rude, "no offence" but then be offensive it's OK Daniel @Daniel Offence has been duly taken.

Personally I stand by my comments, and with a bike like this with such a large and smooth torque band it is easy to lose track of which exact gear you are in. You have no experience of riding in India, where you never know what is going to be round the corner, when someone is just going to stop / turn right with no indication and often no brake lights, when someone just pulls out from a side road without looking etc.etc. I rarely use first for anything other than starting and the 650 is quite happy to pull from 5~10kph in second or third. Any help I can get from the instrument panel is useful and for the £85 that I paid it was a worthwhile addition. It would seem that a number of other members find it useful too.

Luckily I don't have to justify myself to you or anybody else, and if you don't want a Gear indicator - don't have one! Simples!

Perhaps when I get back to the UK you can give me a test ride on your 1HP model but I probably couldn't get on as I suffer from vertigo.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
I stand by mine too, I was curious to open up the floor about where the need for something like this would arise as I personally have never felt the need for one. At opposite ends of the spectrum it's easy to take offence but, none intended. My last statement was a joke but as is often the case can be easily misconstrued in the digital world, your sig indicates a variety of bikes and thus, experience. The diversity on this forum is what makes it so great, so far the thread has been predominantly about sourcing / fitment but I wanted to know more about why people feel the need for one, exploring the pro's and con's, different circumstances etc.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
To each their own; personally I don't see a huge need either. If you're so far off with your gear changes you stall the bike trying to take off you probably should be paying closer attention. The time it takes to look down, find the number, process the info, react accordingly, not to mention the lag time the aftermarket units have, to me makes them not worth the money or effort.

If you want to mod the bike, great. I just don't see them needed as much as people nowadays seem to act like you do.

Again, it's your bike, do with it what you want.

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
After multiple bikes and around 10 years of riding, this is the first gear indicator I've ever had.

And though it's different, I also owned nothing but manual cars for about 10 years and not a single one had a tachometer.

Not a need, but I like it. Biggest thing for me on this particular bike is being on the highway and looking for 7th.

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
Biggest thing for me on this particular bike is being on the highway and looking for 7th.
this one came up previously.
I look for 7th every morning. some one said it was a sort of embarrassing thing, I wondered how anyone would even notice.
the bike pulls well in 6th at 5000rpm at 100km/h, so well I look for an overdrive.

Like many other members on the forum, I've had various road bikes since the 90s. A couple had gear indicators as part of their display, but most not. I had one fitted along with a couple of other accessories as a freebie by the dealer. I certainly don't rely on it, but it's handy when commuting/filtering as Duncan @Duncan mentioned.

As my commute involves a run each way on the freeway too, a 7th gear would be sweet.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I am no expert rider, and i was disappointed from the get go that they did not include one from the factory. Mine cost $50 from eBay. I've mostly driven manual transmissions cars and your arm always knows what gear your in based on lever position. Not so with a bike.

I mostly ride traffic/commute and its super-nice knowing what gear I'm in before i brake and downshift for a side-street or on-ramp, which i slow for for safety. I've also eliminated the 7th gear search.

$50 well spent....

h0ck3y

CBR650F ABS
Feb 6, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Finally received the GiPro gear indicator yesterday and installing it this weekend. I've gone through this thread again and found most went down the left side of the bike for the installation. Did anyone manage to get the wire through without taking off fairings, though? I've got to YouTube or read up on taking off that top fairing if that's the case so I don't snap or break anything. Thanks!

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
Finally received the GiPro gear indicator yesterday and installing it this weekend. I've gone through this thread again and found most went down the left side of the bike for the installation. Did anyone manage to get the wire through without taking off fairings, though? I've got to YouTube or read up on taking off that top fairing if that's the case so I don't snap or break anything. Thanks!
I didn't take a single thing off. Very easy to lift out the velcro'd fairings slightly to shimmy the wire down and out of sight.

Top Bottom