• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Gear Indicator

GoaCBR

CBR650F
Feb 1, 2016
Candolim Goa
I have fitted a Healtech Gi-Pro DS (GPDS-H01-WH) Gear Indicator. Comes with various colour display options, I went with white, this is easy to see even in broad daylight and fits in with the Tri-Colour. This is simple to fit and comes with a connector to join up with the red Diagnostic plug under the seat. I ended up cutting the wires so I could thread the wires through the meter cover and then joined them up under the seat. Made it easier to route the wires using existing wiring route and slipped under the tank cover as well .

Makes a lot of difference especially in slow traffic as well as at high speeds. No more searching for seventh or stalling because I was crawling in fourth.

Gear Indicator.jpg
The meter cover seemed the obvious place to put it and made it easy to hide the wiring, although would have preferred one as part of the LCD dash display, but as that is not the wish of the Honda designers....

GoaCBR

CBR650F
Feb 1, 2016
Candolim Goa
Plug and play to a great extent , as in simply plug into the diagnostic plug. You then have to calibrate, preferably with a stand, so that it knows which gear is which. I went to a clear fairly long straight road and calibrated on the move. I tried it on the stand but didn't have the side stand fully pushed in so it kept stalling when I put it in first. Only realised why a day later when the penny dropped.

By calibrate I mean, It flashes 1 - ride along in first until it accepts it and flashes 2 (about 8 seconds), then 2nd etc etc. I nearly ran out of road but it is easy to restart the whole process

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
I've also been considering one of these for a while now... Knowing it's plug and play is making we want to go for it all the more... Very good info & appreciate the picture.

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
I appreciate this is counter to the OP, so with that said...
I had the luck that my second bike GSX550 had a gear position thingy, which came at a time that I liked the idea and found it usefull.
didn't need it by the time I sold the bike and not had one or felt the need for one since.
for me it seemed a tool to getting better at controlling the bike.

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
I appreciate this is counter to the OP, so with that said...
I had the luck that my second bike GSX550 had a gear position thingy, which came at a time that I liked the idea and found it usefull.
didn't need it by the time I sold the bike and not had one or felt the need for one since.
for me it seemed a tool to getting better at controlling the bike.
This is what's preventing me from dropping the $$$.

In 2 bikes across ~10 years of riding, I've never had one...

But I do still want one... :greedy:

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
perhaps I needed to add, I was glad to have the experience and ultimately not needed it on future bikes.
So in a way, I endorse it, but found it became unnecessary.

Do it.

Tris

CBR650F ABS
Aug 21, 2016
Altrincham, UK
And did you just run the cable to the diagnostic plug without having to cut it to get it through small spots / holes?
I ran mine down the left hand side - it fitted in the gap between the tank and the frame. I don't even think I took the side fairing off, just the one by the seat/tank that attaches via the velcro type stuff. Defo did not cut anything. Installation was under 10 mins.

Tris

CBR650F ABS
Aug 21, 2016
Altrincham, UK
Like GoaCBR @GoaCBR correctly says above you do have to calibrate it which takes another few mins. I have a superbike stand so did it with the back wheel off the ground and cycled through the gears.

GoaCBR

CBR650F
Feb 1, 2016
Candolim Goa
I ran mine down the left hand side - it fitted in the gap between the tank and the frame. I don't even think I took the side fairing off, just the one by the seat/tank that attaches via the velcro type stuff. Defo did not cut anything. Installation was under 10 mins.
The only reason I cut the wires was to get the cable to run through and behind the meter cover. If you fit it over the Honda logo as per Brammers @Brammers or Tris @Tris then you won't need to cut the cable, but I thought that would leave more loose cable showing, and thought mounting it on the meter cover was neater. It also means the cable runs with the rest of the cables on the left hand side and then under the tank to the seat.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
IMG_2857.JPG Scored this on Amazon. Plug and play in the data link conector; just required calibration on the bike stand. Crazy that any motorcycle with an ECM would not include that data in the cluster. Three things in my book that should be standard are (1) adjustable levers. (2) ABS (3) gear indicator. They are just being cheap.

Top Bottom