• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs False neutral

Roman_c_cr

CBR650R ABS
May 14, 2019
Hi Guys new to this forum! I have a 2019 cbr650r. I seem to get a lot of false neutral in this bike... is that common or is it my riding?

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
It happens to me from time to time. I don´t worry about it because it´s pretty rare and user error most of the time (at least in my case).
What do you mean by "a lot" - because that doesn´t sound right?
How is your riding when you get a false neutral? What gears are you in?
I had a few of those on my Austria trip for example. Mountain roads, many first to second / second to first gearchanges while trying to follow the rest on a somewhat new to me bike.

Also seeing you got a CBR650R, is that with the Quickshifter or not?

matt650

CBR650F ABS
Sep 5, 2018
Bedfordshire
I get quite a few too but i'm currently putting it down to user error rather than the bike. Only seems to happen to me when i'm 'pressing on' a bit and i'm convinced i'm just not putting enough upwards pressure on the shifter.

I've only been riding 9 months so until i try another bike 'properly' then i'm going to blame myself!!!

Roman_c_cr

CBR650R ABS
May 14, 2019
I don’t have a quick shifter. But it does have slipper clutch. I have taken other bikes for a ride and never had issues. But my dealer in Manchester are not great,... they don’t want to listen and flog you off. Usually happens when going up gears

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I don’t have a quick shifter. But it does have slipper clutch. I have taken other bikes for a ride and never had issues. But my dealer in Manchester are not great,... they don’t want to listen and flog you off. Usually happens when going up gears
So all gears or some? Is one change worse than another? Like 3-4, 4-5, etc? Is it more prevalent when you’re trying to go fast or just every day? Using the clutch or are you trying clutchless upshifts? How many years have you been riding and how many other bikes have you owned?

When the F model was first introduced, we had many members have false neutrals and it pretty much ended up being either rushed, imprecise shifts or a shift lever that was set a little high from the factory. Try lowering your shift lever a bit, maybe 3 or 5mm at most, and see if that helps.

A slipper clutch is not to blame for missed shifts or false neutrals, it only affects ham fisted or rushed downshifts. I’m confused, though, because a factory quick shifter was standard on the ‘19 CBR650R model from what I had read, at least in the US. Is that not the case? Again, not that it’s a cause, but just curious more than anything.

Last edited:

Roman_c_cr

CBR650R ABS
May 14, 2019
Quick shifts are not standard. This happens in mode of riding, but often just normal everyday rides. Mainly 1st to 2nd, but couple times it came down from 4/5. I haven’t been riding for long, around 9 months. But had taken ducati’s, Kawasaki, BMW’s, Yamaha for test rides and had no issues. Only on mine. Initially put it down to my riding, but I don’t think this is the case. I will change the positioning of shift lever....hope it may sort it

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Quick shifts are not standard. This happens in mode of riding, but often just normal everyday rides. Mainly 1st to 2nd, but couple times it came down from 4/5. I haven’t been riding for long, around 9 months. But had taken ducati’s, Kawasaki, BMW’s, Yamaha for test rides and had no issues. Only on mine. Initially put it down to my riding, but I don’t think this is the case. I will change the positioning of shift lever....hope it may sort it
Thanks for all that.

So you had a problem on yours during the test ride? Because normally in a test ride you are paying very close attention to what you’re doing, not running hard and trying to return to bike in one piece so I’m not surprised they were fine. As you get more time and get familiar with something, you can get “lazy” and less precise which is maybe why it’s cropped up.

With your false neutrals being the actual neutral and coming down from 5th to 4th, I’m going to say at this point it’s most likely technique and/or the shift lever position. Try lowering the lever a bit and try making very precise shifts for a while to see if it improves. It could be a messed up shift drum, misaligned shift forks or something mechanical but let’s rule that out for now since it’s quite rare.

I’d also check your shift linkage to be sure it’s all tight and aligned correctly.

Roman_c_cr

CBR650R ABS
May 14, 2019
Thanks.

I’ve had bike since March 2019. So not test rides. I’ll try remedy first before panicking. Plus getting use to it

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
But my dealer in Manchester are not great,... they don’t want to listen and flog you off.
Wouldn't buy another bike from a dealer who didn't even want to listen if you had a problem !
When you say they ' flog you off ' what do they actually say to you ?

Drewster123

CBR650F ABS
Feb 16, 2018
These 650 gear boxes need nice and precise changes . When you get a false neutral thoe never go back down the box again only go up !

Sunde

CB650F ABS
Jun 2, 2018
Denmark - Århus
I'v had a few myself, sorting the position of the lever has helped but very rarely i still mess up a shift if i am really pushing it. My instinct always kicks in, forcing the gear lever up instantly before the rev's can even drop off, does not make the most pleasant sound, and can feel the gear lever vibrating when i do this, but so far my bike has taken well to the abuse... :shifty: As in it still rides like new, at 15.000km.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
There is nothing wrong with you guys[missing gears, false neutral] I had all these problems when i first got my bike.Than i changed my rearset because

my feet were not at the right angle when shifting.So i pulled the plug and got a fully adjustable rearset matched to my feet and after 4 years of riding with

this rearset i have not miss a gear even after a few drag races. It has been the best mod.on my bike and i have done a few.

http://www.furiishop.com/product/detail/เกียร์โยง Bikers สำหรับ CB650F

GJP

CB650R ABS
Apr 25, 2019
I find my old boots that were fine on the old bike done seem to suit the Honda, switched to other footwear and no issues.

Sunde

CB650F ABS
Jun 2, 2018
Denmark - Århus
keep slamming it into gear and see how it is in another 15,000km :)
Think your reading comprehension needs a check up.
This has happend a few times, not like its a daily occurrence.
Further more, thinking of the abuse many riders put their gearbox through, never revmatching, dumping the clutch, not really cutting throttle when changing gears etc, i suspect mine can handle the odd mishap as long as i dont hamfist it in the other 99% of its lifespan ;).

Last edited:

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
I rarely get false neutrals since adjusting the gear pedal height.

Footwear is a factor, often requiring adjustment to the pedal height.

31k miles after a hard break in ... gearbox is as smooth as the rider on the day. ;)

beneweis

CBR650R ABS
May 14, 2019
Can't speak for the CBR650R yet, but as long as it isn't as bad as the Ducati Supersport I am sure I can work with it.

Top Bottom