• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs False neutral

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Can't speak for the CBR650R yet, but as long as it isn't as bad as the Ducati Supersport I am sure I can work with it.
If your having problems with false neutrals on a Supersport the following things will help:

1. lower the shift lever as was suggested for the 650.
2. Let the transmission break in before using the quickshifter a lot
3. There’s a tech bulletin about raising the oil pressure on the clutch plates
4. You may have a faulty quickshifter
5. There was a recall on the shift lever for an improperly pressed tip on the lever, that may be moving.

One or more of those should help. Otherwise see your dealer, there’s been a report or two of shift fork issues. Once broken in, they are great transmissions.

Last edited:

Drewster123

CBR650F ABS
Feb 16, 2018
I have that
If your having problems with false neutrals on a Supersport the following things will help:

1. lower the shift lever as was suggested for the 650.
2. Let the transmission break in before using the quickshifter a lot
3. There’s a tech bulletin about raising the oil pressure on the clutch plates
4. You may have a faulty quickshifter
5. There was a recall on the shift lever for an improperly pressed tip on the lever, that may be moving.

One or more of those should help. Otherwise see your dealer, there’s been a report or two of shift fork issues. Once broken in, they are great transmissions.
My gear never wobbles ! The pressed like you say looks worn

guille.g.l

CBR650R ABS
Jul 31, 2019
Spain
I have experienced some false neutral between 1st and 2nd gear on my CBR, but as it happened in my old Kawasaki, nothing to be concerned about.
About different gears I cannot tell yet.

beneweis

CBR650R ABS
May 14, 2019
I adjusted the shift lever and have hardly hit any false neutral on my new CBR so far. I do however get real neutrals when I dont really want to, mostly while rolling up to a stop and shifting down from 2 to 1. Not a big deal cuz i mostyl want to get to neutral anyway, but it is kinda weird.

Drewster123

CBR650F ABS
Feb 16, 2018
Also when you have selected the gear you want keep pressure on the gear shifter untill you relise the clutch. This will stop a false neutral. A false neutral is when the dogs in the gear box don't line up and it's accturaly very normal so this helps to make sure it does go into place.

Reactions: GJP

matt650

CBR650F ABS
Sep 5, 2018
Bedfordshire
As an update, i realised this is purely me!!!! I'm simply being too soft (prefer sympathetic!) with my gear changes. Rode another bike in anger, which the owner assures me has never had a problem with false neutrals, and managed to get one!!

Now refining my gear change technique.

Sunde

CB650F ABS
Jun 2, 2018
Denmark - Århus
Yeah i was also struggling early on with mine jumping into neutral. I assume or hope rather, that shifting "hard" is not causing excessive wear on anything.

Dave_CB650R

CB650R ABS
Feb 6, 2020
I know this is an old thread but I experienced this too, where I'd sometimes get stuck in neutral when accelerating hard from 1st to 2nd, doing a bit of general research it seems that some racers attribute this play in the linkages and the extra 'throw' required to move from 1st, past neutral and into 2nd. The solution was to limit play in the linkages and one product that popped up was this:

https://shop.tsrjp.com/item/IS00008N01313.html

Apparently TSD have been making this part for ages. I had a look on my 2020 CB650R and yeah the shift barrel rod has maybe 1~2mm of vertical play in it, which translates quite a bit of play at the end of the leaver. That convinced me to buy one of the TSD parts and see how it goes: in summary it's pretty awesome. I'd say the shift feel went from a smoothish clunk on gear change down to a 'snick' into gear. It was a bit harder to find neutral though as there was no play to absorb any overshoot when trying to stop in neutral, but I haven't been stuck going from 1st to 2nd anymore. My only complaint of the TSD unit was the price, but before the part had arrived from Japan I'd already used the idea to 3D print my own which is actually a better design in some ways and cost very little to make! Something to consider if your into good 'feel' from the controls or annoyed by that 1st to 2nd shift.

Attachments

icemankent

CBR650R ABS
Aug 2, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Riding Since
I have a 2020 cbr650r and have had frequent false neutrals.
I do believe that the cbrs (in general) are more prone to this happenning.
I remember a youtube video - where I believe MaxWrist was test-riding a new cbr1000rr and got the same false neutral I get.
It was funny because he ended up "grinding" it back into 2nd gear and almost giving it a WTF kind of reaction - like I do when it happens to me.
I find it extremely annoying.
I think what makes it happen for me, is that I need to be more aggressive with my foot on the shifter when dancing from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st.
I have no shift issues between any other gears, but I think there might be more "travel" between 1st/2nd on the CBR than on other bikes.
I don't know, but the false neutral is super annoying - and in one instance was dangerous, as I was in neutral instead of a gear, rounding a corner - trying to get it to "grind" into an actual gear. Not pleasant.
Also don't know why trying to click it into a gear (from neutral) - at speed - causes it to make that harsh grinding noise, either.
(Same happened to MaxWrist, too - so I know it is not just me).

Oh well - enjoy your bikes, guys !

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
I have a CB650R. My most common false neutral is when shifting 1>2. Lowering the lever helped a lot. Agree with icemankent @icemankent. The worst feeling is not getting the false neutral, it's the thought that "oh no I now need to smash it into second"
It really doesn't make a happy sound when you do it. The best advice is for 1>2 is from Brammers @Brammers , kick it don't tickle it!

daLe32

CB650R
Mar 11, 2021
Riding Since
sometimes I also experiencing putting gear into neutral.. in between 1 to 2.. but i think its my fault....

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I have a 2020 cbr650r and have had frequent false neutrals.
I do believe that the cbrs (in general) are more prone to this happenning.
I remember a youtube video - where I believe MaxWrist was test-riding a new cbr1000rr and got the same false neutral I get.
It was funny because he ended up "grinding" it back into 2nd gear and almost giving it a WTF kind of reaction - like I do when it happens to me.
I find it extremely annoying.
I think what makes it happen for me, is that I need to be more aggressive with my foot on the shifter when dancing from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st.
I have no shift issues between any other gears, but I think there might be more "travel" between 1st/2nd on the CBR than on other bikes.
I don't know, but the false neutral is super annoying - and in one instance was dangerous, as I was in neutral instead of a gear, rounding a corner - trying to get it to "grind" into an actual gear. Not pleasant.
Also don't know why trying to click it into a gear (from neutral) - at speed - causes it to make that harsh grinding noise, either.
(Same happened to MaxWrist, too - so I know it is not just me).

Oh well - enjoy your bikes, guys !
All I would say is I can't recall having trouble changing gears on my 2018 cb650f. Is the clutch adjusted properly?

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I've been riding for decades and definitely feel the jump to neutral happens way more often on this bike than anything I've experienced before. I'm looking into to the shift support bearing, but in the US its very expensive due to lack of suppliers.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Keep in mind if you’re having trouble shifting from 1-2 you’re not hitting a false neutral, you’re hitting actual neutral. Because there is another position between first and second gear, it’s the one shift that requires you to be the most precise, firm (not stomp), and decisive when you do it and it will bite you if you’re sloppy.

The vast majority of the time issues will be down to technique and/or setup. If the trouble it going from 1 to 2, you’re not lifting the lever high enough so you should lower the shift lever a bit; conversely if the issue is 2-1, raise it a millimeter or two.

If you miss the shift, try not to stomp it into gear, despite what Max Wrist does, and re-pull in the clutch, wait a moment and always go for the higher gear to minimize the grinding by easing up into it. I’m not sting that the shift rod support won’t help, it should, just that technique and setup is as important.

Top Bottom