CBR650R MPG am I missing something?

CBRay

CBR650R ABS
Nov 9, 2021
Riding Since
My last tank was all (fast) highway miles filled up this morning after 142 miles. 3.4 gallons just under 42 mpg… I did lube my chain last night. It really needed it maybe that will help. Though I think the speed is the main factor 😉

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Not sure why but mine seems to respond well to the heat. It was blistering hot last week with high's between 93-97 in Cincinnati and I recorded my highest MPG since changing to 14/43 gearing. 47.8 mpg all while still riding it like it was a rental.

Ian Warren

CBR650R ABS
Mar 12, 2022
United Kingdom
Riding Since
My last tank was all (fast) highway miles filled up this morning after 142 miles. 3.4 gallons just under 42 mpg… I did lube my chain last night. It really needed it maybe that will help. Though I think the speed is the main factor 😉
Speed does indeed do it!
Wind resistance goes up as the square of the speed so double the speed and 4 time the drag!
So even quite modest increase in speed like 70-90 mph will have a big effect of MPG.
As I found chasing my son on motorways 👍

CBRay

CBR650R ABS
Nov 9, 2021
Riding Since
Speed does indeed do it!
Wind resistance goes up as the square of the speed so double the speed and 4 time the drag!
So even quite modest increase in speed like 70-90 mph will have a big effect of MPG.
As I found chasing my son on motorways 👍
Yea, I was a bit above that speed 🫢

CBR650r82

CBR650R ABS
Jun 14, 2022
Riding Since
Speed, anticipating traffic, etc are huge factor for mileage. In average I get 5l/100km , cruising I can manage 4l/100km but on some track days it is a lot closer tot 11l/100km.
So your MPG should be able between 21- 59

And I know for a fact that I am not the smallest nor the lightest, so the bike should be able tot do little bit better.

silverlight7

CB650R
Aug 11, 2021
Riding Since
I wish I could get the MPG some of you guys get! I routinely get about 30 mpg on the highway going 85 MPH. 65 MPH will get me maybe 45 mpg. The only way I can get 55-60 mpg is if I ride very sedately at 45-50 MPH on a flat road.

My long-term average is about 35 mpg. I ride a bit aggressively, but I don't drag my knee or anything like that.

Wonder if something on my bike needs adjusting.

CBRay

CBR650R ABS
Nov 9, 2021
Riding Since
I wish I could get the MPG some of you guys get! I routinely get about 30 mpg on the highway going 85 MPH. 65 MPH will get me maybe 45 mpg. The only way I can get 55-60 mpg is if I ride very sedately at 45-50 MPH on a flat road.

My long-term average is about 35 mpg. I ride a bit aggressively, but I don't drag my knee or anything like that.

Likely just the right handgrip, like me 🤐

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since

Something seems wrong here. I'm geared at 14/43 and will routinely cruise in excess of 9k rpm and well past 80-85 mph and still get at least 44mpg.

How many miles do you have on the clock and what air pressure are you running? Low tire pressures or fouled plugs would be my only guess as to why your getting such poor mpg.

Ian Warren

CBR650R ABS
Mar 12, 2022
United Kingdom
Riding Since
Something seems wrong here. I'm geared at 14/43 and will routinely cruise in excess of 9k rpm and well past 80-85 mph and still get at least 44mpg.

How many miles do you have on the clock and what air pressure are you running? Low tire pressures or fouled plugs would be my only guess as to why your getting such poor mpg.
You first need to allow for the difference between US Gallons and Imperial Gallons (UK)
So you need to multiply your MPG by 1.2 to equate to ours or divide ours by 1.2.
That still doesn’t explain it as my usual relaxed MPG of 57 and checked by calculating when tank filled divided by 1.2 is still 47.5 MPG.
Even my fast highway ride (80-90 MPH) still returned well above your average.

I still find it slightly odd that I am doing the Honda quoted 2021 Euro5 MPG figure (20.4 km/l) which equates to 47.9 Us MPG as even with supposedly more real world Manufacturers figures (WULTP as they’re called in Europe) I don’t get very close in my car!

Found an article that lists quite a lot of internal engine changes as prt of Euro 5 which might contribute to better efficiency ……

Direct cam actuation makes for a compact cylinder head; bore and stroke is set at 67mm x 46mm with compression ratio raised of 11.6:1. Iridium spark plugs are employed and twin air ducts – either side of the fuel tank – feed the airbox and produce a throaty intake roar. Asymmetric piston skirts minimise bore contact and reduce friction. Ferrous spines on the outer surface of the cylinder sleeves reduce oil consumption (and friction) with improved heat transfer and a silent SV cam chain reduces frictional losses by using a Vanadium coating on its pins. Internal water channelling from cylinder head to cylinders does away with most of the exterior hoses.”

Read more at: https://www.thrustzone.com/2021-honda-cbr650r-price-specs-launch/

However honda stated the identical 20.4 km/l for the euro 4 version ao engine changes don’t explain it!

I am running the standard OEM Dunlop Sportmax tyres at recommended single rider pressures (250 / 290 KPa 36/42 PSI)
I have just passed 2,000 miles on the bike but have got good mileage from effectively new (bought the bike at 8 months old and 224 miles on it). No noticeable change at the first service (600 miles).

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
I'm getting 21km per litre which seems higher than most of what you are getting. If I'm right that's 49mpg?

I do tend to shift early when just cruising around 🤣 to many windy roads with residential acess coming off them to be going crazy around near me.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Ian Warren @Ian Warren - pay attention to the actual content being discussed currently. That note was in response to a US poster getting 30mpg. Your reply has nothing to add to the quote you referenced.

CBRay

CBR650R ABS
Nov 9, 2021
Riding Since

You really think he’s that far off? I personally find the mpg calculator on the bike to be remarkably accurate. When you take it up to 12k rpm, I’ve seen it read as low as 10 mpg, and in that instance I believe it. I have also seen it go up to 90 when coasting downhill in a draft. Depending how he is driving and the roads I don’t think there is anything wrong with the bike.

Like I said for me last week, I averaged 41.7 with speeds somewhat higher than you mentioned.

CBR650r82

CBR650R ABS
Jun 14, 2022
Riding Since
In the first post was stated you just finished breaking in period. I guess there is still warrenty? What does the dealership tell you?

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
You really think he’s that far off? I personally find the mpg calculator on the bike to be remarkably accurate. When you take it up to 12k rpm, I’ve seen it read as low as 10 mpg, and in that instance I believe it. I have also seen it go up to 90 when coasting downhill in a draft. Depending how he is driving and the roads I don’t think there is anything wrong with the bike.

Like I said for me last week, I averaged 41.7 with speeds somewhat higher than you mentioned.
Yes, a long term average of 35mpg is really low compared to mfg stated and others actual results. In order for me to get 35mpg I'd have to forgo using the last 2 gears and even then it would probably be a struggle. 35mpg on public roads is very low.

silverlight7

CB650R
Aug 11, 2021
Riding Since

I have 7200 miles, and as far as I know, stock gearing. I got the bike at 2000 miles, and it appeared to be completely stock.

I added a full exhaust to the bike, but I didn't flash the ECU or change the air filter yet.

Also, I do run the air pressure 2 psi lower than recommended (so 40 rear, 34 front) because I heard that it helps with grip. Not sure if it would make that big a difference?

Sometimes, I'll rev 1st gear all the way out when accelerating from a stop to 55 MPH. On twisty backroads, I'll usually stay in 3rd gear with occasional shifts to 2nd or 4th.

Just cruising on the highway, however, my bike tells me I only get 29-33 mpg at 85 MPH in 6th gear. At 70 MPH I get about 39 mpg. I have to slow down to about 60 MPH to get 44mpg.

I wish I could get your MPG! I noticed you have the CBR, while I have the CB. Maybe the fairings make a big difference?

CBR650r82

CBR650R ABS
Jun 14, 2022
Riding Since
I added a full exhaust to the bike
Is there a chance you accendentilly did some damage to the sensor in the exaust? resulting in the wrong amount of fuel to air ratio? Maybe the spark plug colour can give some feedback?

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I have 7200 miles, and as far as I know, stock gearing. I got the bike at 2000 miles, and it appeared to be completely stock.

I added a full exhaust to the bike, but I didn't flash the ECU or change the air filter yet.

Also, I do run the air pressure 2 psi lower than recommended (so 40 rear, 34 front) because I heard that it helps with grip. Not sure if it would make that big a difference?

Sometimes, I'll rev 1st gear all the way out when accelerating from a stop to 55 MPH. On twisty backroads, I'll usually stay in 3rd gear with occasional shifts to 2nd or 4th.

Just cruising on the highway, however, my bike tells me I only get 29-33 mpg at 85 MPH in 6th gear. At 70 MPH I get about 39 mpg. I have to slow down to about 60 MPH to get 44mpg.

I wish I could get your MPG! I noticed you have the CBR, while I have the CB. Maybe the fairings make a big difference?
I never trust the bike's computer. It's a novel addition but it's not accurate for true comparison. Next time you fill up measure and calculate manually and see what you're getting. That's the true test. I'd bet even with the reduced air pressure you're pretty close to what the rest of the group sees. If it's actually in the mid thirties I would investigate further.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
A CB at 85mph, if you're not a small person, is not going to be fuel efficient, if you rev it out you will get "poor" fuel mileage,. I would not go by the computer, however, because it is wildly inaccurate. S @silverlight7 I think you may have a front sprocket that was changed, however. You may want to check that, but it's not far enough out to cause concern.

I try to stay out of fuel mileage discussions because there are WAY too many variables and people like to over estimate and "brag" huge fuel mileage claims that are based on fiction. Not saying that is what's happening here but just commenting there is never a good comparison. I remember a discussion on a car forum one time on fuel mileage where someone claimed crazy numbers and it was discovered he shifted into neutral and coasted every hill he came to but said he did nothing different. This all started with claims of near 60 mpg came up. Once it was figured out what was actually being compared, imperial gallons to US gallons, it's clear nothing is out of the ordinary.

silverlight7

CB650R
Aug 11, 2021
Riding Since
Thanks guys. I'm going to calculate the MPG myself over the next few days. Hopefully it will be higher than what the computer told me.

Ian Warren

CBR650R ABS
Mar 12, 2022
United Kingdom
Riding Since

Looked up the MPG (UK miles per imperial gallon) on a review when they released the new bikes in 2019 and Honda quoted 4BHP more on both CB650 and CBR650R and a slight drop in fuel consumption to 57.6 MPG so Honda don’t think the fairings affect MPG!
Interestingly the very good Bennett’s review O read says they achiever 45MPG but road testers on launches tend not to ride slowly!

They also note that Honda stated that at ‘High Speed’ the CBR’s twin ram air ducts add 5% more power by raising intake air pressure four fold!

That takes it from 93.9 to 98.6 BHP at speed!

Cheeky of Honda as the 93.9 is just 0.1HP less than the limit in Europe for a Bike to be allowed to be restricted to 43 for A2 (younger) licences riders!

Obviously as stated elsewhere anyone in the Us or Canada would need to divide these MPG by 1.2 to compare with their bikes!

Top Bottom