• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Buzzing / Resonance Noise 5.5K to 6.5K RPM ('19 CB650R)

jey153

CBR650R ABS
Oct 6, 2020
Riding Since
I'm putting the bike away for the year - too cold now, but maybe next year I'll try zip-tying some weights to the key. Don't really want to add a key chain that will fly around and rattle in the wind. Or maybe just live with it, I dunno. BIke has been fine otherwise (it is a great bike and I love the way it handles), so maybe just throw in the towel and hope my OCD finds something else to latch onto.
I'm putting the bike away for the year - too cold now, but maybe next year I'll try zip-tying some weights to the key. Don't really want to add a key chain that will fly around and rattle in the wind. Or maybe just live with it, I dunno. BIke has been fine otherwise (it is a great bike and I love the way it handles), so maybe just throw in the towel and hope my OCD finds something else to latch onto.

Hi.

I am a person who is riding CBR650R in Korea.

I came to Google because I had similar symptoms to you.

In my case, I can hear the metal plate shaking at 4000 RPM to 6000 RPM as you feel.

I installed the same black widow.

He said he recorded the sound. If it's the same, I'd like you to add a ripple.

The volume of the file is large, so be careful when you run it.

You can watch it from five minutes on YouTube.

You can look at it from 15 seconds.

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
Does it happen in first gear?

If So, you can try this but you must be very careful.

Lift the rear with a stand, place zip tie on handbrake.

Add throttle until you get the noise, and look around/listen/touch where the noise is coming from.

Have a friend standing ready to hit the kill switch or hold the bike steady.

jey153

CBR650R ABS
Oct 6, 2020
Riding Since
Does it happen in first gear?

If So, you can try this but you must be very careful.

Lift the rear with a stand, place zip tie on handbrake.

Add throttle until you get the noise, and look around/listen/touch where the noise is coming from.

Have a friend standing ready to hit the kill switch or hold the bike steady.
Gears show symptoms unrelated.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Now that you've posted the video I can confirm I heard they same when my bike was still very low in miles, completely stock, and no key chain. the noise was only in 1st / 2nd gears. It made the noise several times and was quite alarming, but I haven't had it do it again now that its broken in.

I'll be curious to know if anyone can pinpoint the source.

jey153

CBR650R ABS
Oct 6, 2020
Riding Since
Now that you've posted the video I can confirm I heard they same when my bike was still very low in miles, completely stock, and no key chain. the noise was only in 1st / 2nd gears. It made the noise several times and was quite alarming, but I haven't had it do it again now that its broken in.

I'll be curious to know if anyone can pinpoint the source.
A similar phenomenon occurred around me, but I can't find the cause.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
For me, it was the key. I recently took the bike apart for valve clearance and checked everything on the way back up, including PAIR valve and bank angle sensor, it was all solid. I went out for a ride shortly after to discover it was still buzzing.

A quick Google search revealed a few Kawasaki threads about riders experiencing the same sort of issue at the same sort of rpm. They have been putting rubber vaccum pipe at the top of their keys to eliminate the problem which has been successful for some. So I thought I would try it this morning with a rubber band.

20201019_090847.jpg

Its by no means a permanent solution! But to verify with a quick test, it worked perfectly, all buzzing disappeared.

JH09

CB650R ABS
Jul 29, 2020
Riding Since
thanks for keeping up with this, we are getting closer!

jey153

CBR650R ABS
Oct 6, 2020
Riding Since
Hey Guys,

Sorry for lack of update - long couple of weeks here. Here's what I got:

1) I've basically given up troubleshooting. The fartherst I've done is pull the air intakes completely off to get access to the bank-angle sensor, which does wiggle around in its mount but when I tried tightening the bolts, I couldn't even get them to move with the tools I managed to fit in there so it's clearly not that loose.

I still think the resonance might be coming from there / that general area. The only other guess I have is that something has loosened (as is natural-ish) over time with all the vibrations and such, and now at specific resonance frequencies it fires off that buzzing sound. I'm guessing it's most noticeable in the lower gears since there isn't as much competing noise to drown it out.

I was never able to pin-point an exact source or fix it, and as you saw before my attempt to have Honda look at it were extremely disappointing. Decided to just live with it for the rest of the riding season as it appears to be a "cosmetic" issue only and the bike still rides just fine. Might be trading it in for a Street Triple next year or just accept that this is a very buzzy bike; depending on how things go with COVID Winter Edition (TM).

But if anyone has any ideas, I'm still open to trying to remedy it - I've just given up my own self guided attempts, but I'm glad I'm not the only one - nice to know I'm not completely crazy.
Hi, I am writing to find the cause.
In my case, the sponge on the windscreen became thinner, creating a space between the parts on the speed meter, so I was shaking because of the vibration. I bought a new sponge and attached it to the windscreen, and it hasn't been making any sound since then.

Swirl2402

CB650R ABS
Jun 19, 2021
Riding Since
Hey all,

Just writing to confirm that I have the same front located buzzing issue on my 2019 cb650r, I'll give it a go with the key solution and update you ! Also someone was suggesting to me that it could be the passenger pegs' washers rattling at 6k rpm but I'm yet to check that one. Cheers!

RAFHonda

CB650R ABS
Sep 19, 2019
London, UK
Riding Since
Hey all,

Just writing to confirm that I have the same front located buzzing issue on my 2019 cb650r, I'll give it a go with the key solution and update you ! Also someone was suggesting to me that it could be the passenger pegs' washers rattling at 6k rpm but I'm yet to check that one. Cheers!
I doubt the pillion pegs are the issue because I've taken mine off and I still get the noise 🤔

l3omtz

CB650R ABS
Jun 26, 2020
Riding Since
Hey all,

Having the same issue now and its just so annoying. Did the key solution work for you?

volkein

CB650F ABS
Jan 28, 2020
I've found a metallic buzzing noise around 8K RPM last week, this is driving me mad.

I've removed the radiator guard, then found that the Termi's downpipe n°2 has some freeplay so I've wake up early and tightned the flange, no more freeplay but still this goddamn noise. It's also look like the sound of the footrests washers (rears are removed) but mine is comming from the front. I don't know.

I'm thinking about removing the fairings and searching if I can noticing something in this mess.

Mods are Sato weights with bar ends and a Termi full system.

Edit : Found it ! It is my clutch lever who has up and down freeplay.
I have put lithium grease on the clutch lever, noise is gone. I think I'll change the lever.

Last edited:

icemankent

CBR650R ABS
Aug 2, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Riding Since
I have a 2020 cbr650r, now with about 13000 Km. My metallic static-y buzzing started about a month ago - around the 11000 Km mark.
It happens in the powerband rpms - around 8000 to be exact.
Very very annoying.
I have played around with trying to stablize the key - seemed to help minimally.
I see we are all struggling with this - but I have no idea what is causing it (now, after owning it for 2 years without ever having this noise).
Any updates from you guys ?

mikewchandler

CB650R ABS
Mar 14, 2020
Riding Since
I’m using a rubber band on my key. I had to get it just right with some trial and error but it fixed mine. I can’t lock the motorcycle with the rubber band on. But there are workarounds if it’s a big deal to you.

jakubox

CBR650R
Sep 25, 2021
Riding Since
yo guys, any updates? i was at honda, they told me some membrane within exhaust pipes was loose and the sound gone, but its still lol. I got it in 8-10k rpm. cbr 2021. Take they key ring off, same sound still. I was thinking about footpegs for driver, cause they got loose pads on it. it seems like the sound is at front-down-left side. Ill try left side footpegs with bigger pads under. Also with the key.

Last edited:

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
yo guys, any updates? i was at honda, they told me some membrane within exhaust pipes was loose and the sound gone, but its still lol. I got it in 8-10k rpm. cbr 2021. Take they key ring off, same sound still. I was thinking about footpegs for driver, cause they got loose pads on it. it seems like the sound is at front-down-left side. Ill try left side footpegs with bigger pads under. Also with the key.
Could it be windscreen, someone add a rubber block to the screen and his buzzing went away. Also Horn bracket might be loose, I had the issue with my CBR650F.

icemankent

CBR650R ABS
Aug 2, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Riding Since
Ok, let me try to experiment with a rubber band wrapped around the top of my key and see what happens.
Very weird if this turns out to be the solution ! (what's next, using duct tape, lol)

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
Ok, let me try to experiment with a rubber band wrapped around the top of my key and see what happens.
Very weird if this turns out to be the solution ! (what's next, using duct tape, lol)
There are two phrases I go by in life. One is "if a woman can't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy", and the other is "if you can't duck (duct) it, f**k it.". I'd say number two applies here 😜

icemankent

CBR650R ABS
Aug 2, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Riding Since
Update.
Tried the elastic around the key - many different configuations.
Nope.
The vibration noise is definitely (not) key-related.
Honestly, it really sounds like something further down / inside that is buzzing - like maybe the exhaust header bolts or something.

In any event, I just took my bike in for the 14,000 Km checkup - and got an oil change at the same time.
Whether they tightened something up that was loose, or perhaps it is (only) the oil change - but the static buzzing is now gone or "muffled" to the point it sounds (normal) again.
Maybe as our oil gets used, it starts breaking down and some parts vibrate more - who knows.

This is my experience, anyway - hope others can offer theirs as well so that we can figure this out - but for now, this is gone (for now) :)

Top Bottom