• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Buzzing / Resonance Noise 5.5K to 6.5K RPM ('19 CB650R)

thatyanguy

CB650R ABS
Jul 25, 2020
Riding Since
Hi Guys,

Complete newb and a bit of a mechanical idiot here, hoping someone can help me out. I've done a cursory check and don't believe anyone has posted about this on here, and I'm a bit too dense to make sense of this with the service manual. Know just enough to be dangerous but clearly not enough to fix this myself. Couple of caveats - live in an apartment building, don't exactly have a well lit / usable area to work on the bit.

Was out for a ride yesterday, noticed a strange buzzing / resonance vibration sound come in at around 5.5K RPM. Most noticeable in first gear, bit less in second, barely any in third (though I suspect that's because of general wind / environmental noise drowning it out). It's fairly high pitched, sounds like thin metal vibrating almost. I spent about 2 hours trying to figure it out and this is the information I gathered - hoping someone can comment and guide me to the right direction because it is driving me nuts.

Base information:
1) Bike is a 2019 CB650R, 5,000 kms on the odo.
2) Had it since last year, rode it last summer and now second summer of riding. Just noticed the noise yesterday, was never there before.
3) Bike isn't modded in any way, and generally doesn't get ridden hard - though I do let it rev through to redline here and there in 1st if I find a good empty stretch of road.

On the noise:
1) Doesn't seem to happen when bike is in neutral, though I do notice that the usual engine vibration is a noticeably less pronounced when it's in neutral and just standing still. My guess is that it takes less gas / consumption to get it revving up, which my affect vibration.
2) Most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear (when riding with the visor up specifically, much less audible with visor down, can't hear it when I have my riding ear plugs in) - comes in and is most noticeable in the above range, hard to say whether it persists above due to noise from engine / wind at higher RPM.
3) It seems to be specifically linked to vibration rather than throttle position or bike speed, as it comes in when you start feeling the usual chassis vibration (standard engine vibration has always been there, no issue with that). Almost like the resonant frequency of how the bike vibrates set something off buzzing / rattling (closer to a metallic buzzing - it basically sounds like distortion? Very hard to describe, and almost impossible to capture otherwise I'd post a sound file).
4) Poking around, I've noticed some kind of a sensor or module (I believe the technical term is "doohickey") that is loose - but not so loose that I turn the nuts with my fingers. It definitely wiggles - there's metal screws (one on each side) holding it to a metal bracket, and there are some rubber / plastic washers around the plate that the module is bolted to. This is very easy to wiggle and may be the source (haven't tried tightening it yet as it's almost impossible to get in there, but I will try and borrow an extra set of needlenose pliers and tighten it a bit).
The sensor / module can be found as follows:
a) Bike is parked, steering is in the "steering lock position (fully to the left). This opens up a space in the frame.
b) Under the key hole module (so kinda under the fuel tank), in a little crevice that's behind where the front forks mount to the frame.
c) If you look at page 1-28 of the service manual, it would be behind to the left of the Headlight 8P connector (when looking at the photo) inside of the little "triangle" that's made by the frame and the mount for the front fork - except I don't actually see it labelled on the diagram.
c) If you were to get at it from the "top", you would have to at the very least pull out the fuel tank

It's light plastic in colour at the front. I know it's a rubbish description, I will try to take a better photo tomorrow (I try to minimize leaving the apartment, COVID and everything). If somehow someone actually knows what I'm talking about, I would love to hear:

1) What is this thing? Is there a reason it's loose, or should it be tightened?
2) Any other ideas about this buzzing noise, other things to check?

I've tried looking for other loose bolts, rubbing cables, etc., holding onto the instrument panel and the two "air scoops" while riding to see if they're the source of the noise, and it doesn't appear to be the case.

Any help or insight would be appreciated. I will try to update with a photo tomorrow.

thatyanguy

CB650R ABS
Jul 25, 2020
Riding Since
Sorry - I kept googling, and I think I can add more detail. The loose part appears to be the bank angle sensor based on this:

(7 looks like the loose adapter)

And this definitely looks like the loose "module"

So, I guess my question is now revised to: should this be loose (it doesn't look like it's going anywhere, but it's very easy to wiggle with the tip of a finger)? And if yes, can you think of any other sources for this buzzing noise. It has been driving me crazy since I first noticed it yesterday.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I think you should located (the best you can) where exactly this noise is coming from...front end, engine area left/right side, rear... I mean it could be anything from your helmet whistling to some engine part grinding!

I'd check the chain first - when's the last time you've checked slack, lubed and cleaned?

As for the Bank Angle Sensor, check the torque to see if it's loose:

TORQUE: Bank angle sensor nut: 8.5 N·m (0.9 kgf·m, 6.3 lbf·ft)

thatyanguy

CB650R ABS
Jul 25, 2020
Riding Since
I think you should located (the best you can) where exactly this noise is coming from...front end, engine area left/right side, rear... I mean it could be anything from your helmet whistling to some engine part grinding!

I'd check the chain first - when's the last time you've checked slack, lubed and cleaned?

As for the Bank Angle Sensor, check the torque to see if it's loose:

TORQUE: Bank angle sensor nut: 8.5 N·m (0.9 kgf·m, 6.3 lbf·ft)

Hey, thanks for the reply. Chain was last adjusted about 2000 km ago, but has been lubed, cleaned and checked three times since. Definitely not the chain. Noise is coming from front end - just behind the headlight? - and only comes in once vibrations get strong enough. Not the helmet (I know its whistles and such).

I'll try to tighten the mounting on the bank angle sensor as best as I can with my limited tools and go from there, otherwise may just take it to the dealer and have the warranty argument (bike is still covered, but I know they're generally bad for looking at rattles and such). Thanks for the suggestions!

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Who did your chain the last time? It could be too tight. I had a really good motorcycle shop change a tire a few years ago. I was out of state so I didn't know them but they were super-friendly and took me right in. After riding with a new tire I never thought to check the chain and they, clearly, had it too tight! Didn't notice until a few miles down the road.

Anyway, sometimes you can hear noises from what you "think" is from one area when it's really coming from another! (Don't ask me how I know!)

If it's still under warranty take it to the shop and let them deal with it.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I believe I’ve read people mentioning the instrument cluster on the CBS can get a rattle to them at certain RPMs. Might check there.

Have you done anything to the bike? Has it been serviced again all? Tipped over?

I’d suggest this: find an empty parking lot, figure out how to make the vibration/oscillation noise happen repeatedly. Then I’d start touching things while it’s happening: headlight, cluster, mirrors, levers, turn signals, etc. until you (hopefully) locate it. Sometimes even moving things around will change whatever’s happening.

In my opinion, unless the tip over sensor was very loose, like falling off loose, that’s not your issue. They are fairly sealed, not much too them and if it was too loose you’d possibly start having running issues. Worth checking but I think it seems loose because it’s rubber isolated.

thatyanguy

CB650R ABS
Jul 25, 2020
Riding Since
Thanks for all the helpful tips guys. Gonna try and take it into the shop tomorrow and hopefully they won't be difficult about it.

Parking lot check is hard cause you need to hit 6K RPM at least to start checking and you tend to run out of room pretty quickly.

I can always reproduce it - rev to 6k while riding, will be audible in first and second.

Chain seems fine and had always been serviced by the dealer where I picked the bike up - the rattle wasn't there before two days ago and it's been a decent amount of time since they did the adjustment. Bike had not been dropped or ridden into anything.

I'm pretty sure it's the mounting hardware for the tip-over sensor. The bolts are fairly loose (very easy to move with a 10 mil) and while it is rubber insulated, there is a metal washer that can vibrate against the bolt head with enough vibration / resonance in the chassis based on how loose it is. The sound also appears to emanate directly from the area where this is mounted. There is space between the bracket and the sensor so I tried stuffing in some paper towel as best as I could (really awkward place to get your hands or tools into) and it seems to have made the vibration less prevalent but did not eliminate it all together (or maybe I'm just imagining things - wishful thinking and all that). Couldn't really try tightening the bolts as they're super awkward to get at and the tools, other than one tiny 10 mil wrench, couldn't fit in there and there was no way for me to hold the nut secure while tightening the bolt. Better access involved what looked like pulling the fuel tank cover and I wasn't that brave given my crappy tools / bad work area / general lack of experienced.

I tried the instrument cluster - all bolts are tight, holding it doesn't change anything. The only "issue" with it is the whistle at certain speeds, and that I can live with.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll see what the dealer says and report back - but if anyone with a CB650R is around it and feels like seeing how their tip / bank sensor is mounted in terms of tightness and play, I'd be interested in hearing back. But don't put yourself out, I'll see what the dealer has to say.

Andy c

CB650F ABS
Jul 19, 2020
Somerset
Riding Since
Hi
I had similar noise and found the source was my house key on my key ring vibrating on my top yoke / handle bar mounts

thatyanguy

CB650R ABS
Jul 25, 2020
Riding Since
Hi
I had similar noise and found the source was my house key on my key ring vibrating on my top yoke / handle bar mounts

I only have the bike key with no rings, but this does seem to line up with my washer on bolt theory. My riding gear and loadout is very consistent so it's unlikely to be that simple (I really wish it was). But thanks for chiming in. I'm sure I'm driving everyone here nuts, but I can be super OCD about wierd noises without explanation, especially when they interfere with what is otherwise a lovely engine note going through the revs (one of the reasons I chose this bike was the I4 and accompanying soundtrack). Thanks again everyone for helping out. Now it's time to hope the dealer demons aren't feeling too malicious tomorrow.

Bindir Dundat

CB650F
May 5, 2018
That vibration around 5k+ rpm is just the nature of I4's. Have that on my 2018 CB650F, 2012 CBF 1k , and '04 599. The only I4 without vibration in that range is my CB1 400. Just the nature of the beast I guess. Try putting heavier handle bar weights and it might dampen a little bit. Just speaking from experience. Most of my bikes were I4's.

thatyanguy

CB650R ABS
Jul 25, 2020
Riding Since
That vibration around 5k+ rpm is just the nature of I4's. Have that on my 2018 CB650F, 2012 CBF 1k , and '04 599. The only I4 without vibration in that range is my CB1 400. Just the nature of the beast I guess. Try putting heavier handle bar weights and it might dampen a little bit. Just speaking from experience. Most of my bikes were I4's.

Hey Bindir - just to be clear, the vibration itself is not the issue. That's always been there and I know it comes with the I4 territory. It's the buzzing / metallic distortion noise that's now begun showing up at around the RPM range where the vibration picks up, like something has shook itself loose and is now reverberating. Sounds kinda like a tin can vibrating if you were to wedge it between a loud speaker and a wall.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Well Thatyanguy, it looks like you have done a lot more than I would have done before taking it to Honda.I have had my

new cbr650f since 2014 and like you I ride it hard. After all this time I never had a metallic vibration,just the normal vibrations.

Please let us know what it was as this would bug the hell out of me also.

thatyanguy

CB650R ABS
Jul 25, 2020
Riding Since
Well, bike is going into the dealer next Tuesday. Earliest appointment I could get at the one dealer that actually answers the phone.

Only update I have: not being covered by the extended warranty as it's "loose bolts" and apparently the warranty only covers major components, so looks like I might be our 65 bucks for the inspection and fix (provided it only takes them an hour). Still a better rate than the other dealer around here, but not feeling impressed with the extended warranty. I may discuss with them after they find the cause and see if they can warranty it under "badly assembled" but who knows. At this point I'd happily pay 65 bucks to get rid of the noise.

thatyanguy

CB650R ABS
Jul 25, 2020
Riding Since
So, update. Had a terrible experience at the dealer and we're where we started. Long story short:

1) 65 bucks inspection turned into a 95 dollar per hour labour rate.
2) They rode the bike around the parking lot for 10 minutes, then rode another around the parking lot for 10 minutes, and declared they sound the same.
3) They didn't tighten the bolts on the bank angle sensor despite being asked to do so, as I found out when I got home (weather got bad and the dealership waiting area that they had for customers felt very claustrophobic so I just wanted to get the hell out, maybe they were counting on that?)
4) They charged me 95 dollars for a full hour worth of labour per "no fault found".

Are all bike dealers this shitty? This is the second official Honda dealer that has dicked me around on pricing and significantly overcharged for the little bit of work I had them do.

Anyways, not going there again. Will order a mini socket wrench and some long reach angled pliers on amazon and try to tighten the bolts myself, but if that doesn't get rid of the noise...let's just say I'm calling my insurance broker to get some quotes on other bikes. May be a bit of an over-reaction, but the noise is driving me nuts and seeing as I'm now 2 for 2 with shitty Honda vehicle ownership experiences, I'm very open to just getting rid of the damn thing. I will update after I get my tools if I'm able to get the hardware tightened.

Rant over.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
That sucks you are having this issue. I wish I could hear exactly what you're hearing because it may be something simple.

I won't rehash my Kawasaki story again but I know how you feel, sometimes it's a bunch of little things that just add up enough to make you say "Screw it, I'm done!". That's how I feel with Kawasaki.

Good luck in whatever you do and keep us posted!

thatyanguy

CB650R ABS
Jul 25, 2020
Riding Since
That sucks you are having this issue. I wish I could hear exactly what you're hearing because it may be something simple.

I won't rehash my Kawasaki story again but I know how you feel, sometimes it's a bunch of little things that just add up enough to make you say "Screw it, I'm done!". That's how I feel with Kawasaki.

Good luck in whatever you do and keep us posted!

I will see if I can find a way of recording it....best way to explain it though remains an intermittent but frequent metallic buzz at 6K+ RPM - like something is moving around when the vibrations get noticeable enough to push stuff around, and occasionally there's some sort of metal on metal contact and buzz. I might honestly just tape like a microphone from a headset or something to the area, go for a ride, and hope my phone manages to record it. Either way, I'll try to grab some photos if possible and document my attempt to get at it myself.

I'm just irritated because this aside, I absolutely love this bike.

Oh well, I did say I wanted to learn how to do my own "wrenching"....so here goes I guess?

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I will see if I can find a way of recording it....best way to explain it though remains an intermittent but frequent metallic buzz at 6K+ RPM - like something is moving around when the vibrations get noticeable enough to push stuff around, and occasionally there's some sort of metal on metal contact and buzz. I might honestly just tape like a microphone from a headset or something to the area, go for a ride, and hope my phone manages to record it. Either way, I'll try to grab some photos if possible and document my attempt to get at it myself.

I'm just irritated because this aside, I absolutely love this bike.

Oh well, I did say I wanted to learn how to do my own "wrenching"....so here goes I guess?

If you're up in the 6,000 rpm range chances are any recording will just be wind noise...or you may watch your phone fly off into the road side!

As for your own wrenching...I STRONGLY suggest you get involved more! The money you can save by doing your own work can be a lot. And...you'll learn a ton that is priceless. You have help from members on here and there's always YouTube.
Like I said, it may be an easy fix that, once YOU fix it, you'll get the double satisfaction of a non-whining motorcycle and the fact that YOU fixed it!

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
In Thailand it is much better. I have a great Honda dealer here .When I do a service I bring my tools with me
and we do it together.Today I am having trouble with my cbr250r abs brakes, so we will be working on that today.
I get on very well with the owner and there are plenty of sexy girls in the shop.Needless to say I buy all my bikes
there.Also they do not charge me for labor only parts.

skeletor

CBR650F ABS
Dec 13, 2018
In Thailand it is much better. I have a great Honda dealer here .When I do a service I bring my tools with me
and we do it together.Today I am having trouble with my cbr250r abs brakes, so we will be working on that today.
I get on very well with the owner and there are plenty of sexy girls in the shop.Needless to say I buy all my bikes
there.Also they do not charge me for labor only parts.

Wow , free training..... good deal.

thatyanguy

CB650R ABS
Jul 25, 2020
Riding Since
So, the saga continues. My "mini" enough to fit in there wrench got here, and while working on it, I managed to loose hold of it and for a couple of days had a mini wrench sitting somewhere above the valve cover.

Luckily, the long reach bent angle pliers I ordered came in today and after much finagling, the mini wrench is back in my hands and no longer in the bike - so back to square one.

I had managed to to take a couple of photos of the part I believe is giving me the trouble: it is the bolts on this that need tightening I believe. Don't want to go any dealers again, so will make another attempts once a smaller set of pliers show up to help hold the nut in place while it's tightened. If that doesn't work, the final ditch attempt may be removing the shrouds to get better access. On that note, I have a couple of questions:

1) How easy is it to remove the shrouds + air ducts, and more specifically
2) How easy is it to remove / replace (without breaking) the plastic clips that are used to hold chunks of the shroud together? I've looked through the service manual and it seems that there's a few plastic clips involved.

Please ignore the dirt, it's been wet the last couple of times I had to go out and I don't have an easy way of cleaning the bike where I live. You can see the head of one of the nuts inside there (silver) in around the middle of the first photo. Second photo is clearer.

20200808_183233.jpg20200808_183238.jpg

If anyone with a CB650R feels like checking to see if their bank angle sensor is pretty loose and very easy to wiggle, it would help with the troubleshooting.

Top Bottom