• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs Oil leak

Ahn

CBR650R ABS
May 15, 2021
Riding Since
HI, is there some common things with cb/cbr650r that has leaking problem?
For example radiator cover or frame slider where engine side.
I think radiator cover might makes some stress to coolant system and the frame slider makes more vibrations to engine.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
HI, is there some common things with cb/cbr650r that has leaking problem?
For example radiator cover or frame slider where engine side.
I think radiator cover might makes some stress to coolant system and the frame slider makes more vibrations to engine.
Those things don't sound to me like they would cause leakage problems.

apexsurfer

CB650R ABS
Oct 15, 2020
Riding Since
So Update on my Bike: the Dealer looked after the leak in february and said it was chain lube that is hot and runs down. the Oil is still there, not dripping always a light oil smudge on there. My Bike has almost 26.000km so if it doesnt spill oil out in the future, I am fine with it.
From time to time i look after it and wipe it clean.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Well sad to say that just 4 months out of warranty and my water pump has started leaking in the same spot as pictured in this thread. Right at 3300 miles, but probably leaking for quite some time even though I never noticed any drops in the garage. I just opened a case with Honda since this appears to be pretty well documented defect on the 2019's. I honestly doubt they'll do anything, but at least it'll be another documented case.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Well sad to say that just 4 months out of warranty and my water pump has started leaking in the same spot as pictured in this thread. Right at 3300 miles, but probably leaking for quite some time even though I never noticed any drops in the garage. I just opened a case with Honda since this appears to be pretty well documented defect on the 2019's. I honestly doubt they'll do anything, but at least it'll be another documented case.
3300 miles is nothing !

Ian Skeldon

CBR650R
Nov 10, 2021
Riding Since
Here in the UK I wouldn't mess about if my 2020 cbr650r started to leak, I would point out that there seems to be a small number of failures in this respect and either fix it or see what the consumer goods act has to say about it along with me telling all of the riders that I ride with about it.
In law in the UK any item sold has to be able to perform the intended purpose for which it was made and sold, an oil leak on a low mileage or new bike clearly is just not acceptable.
Thankfully I have no such issues with mine at the moment 🤞

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I would have sworn my was bone dry and I had "checked" several times. It wasn't until I was completely underneath it looking up while changing the exhaust that I noticed the leak. Nothing has hit the floor, but the leak is obvious from below. I've also noticed a smell of burning coolant occasionally so I'm also probably leaking coolant from the same area.

I'm going to give Honda a couple days to respond and if they don't, which I highly doubt they will, and I'll go ahead and replace the water pump myself.

Underworld Taco

CB650R ABS
Mar 23, 2020
Portugal
Riding Since
28k km(17ish miles) on my ‘19 cb650r, no problem with the bike besides corrosive bolts, which Honda replaced before my warranty expires, but for sure oil leaks was the problem of the ‘19 650R

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
The pumps are meant to "weap" and a single drop of water/oil mix sat there is OK. It's even mentioned in the service manual.

Just before everyone goes on a panic.

J

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Agreed. Mine is definitely more than weeping. Started smelling coolant around July but didn't really think too much about it. Reservoir is bone dry and it's a mess of oil / coolant / grease off the bottom of the water pump. Also noticed that dried coolant is caked on the oil filter that was changed at the beginning of summer, roughly 1k-1.5k miles ago. I'm still shocked that given the condition underneath I have yet to have a single drop hit my garage floor.

Last edited:

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hello.

My August 2021 CB650R started from new leaking oil from water pump. I was aware of the problem with pump shaft seals leaking oil, I knew what was happening.
Pump was replaced under warranty at aprox. 2.500Km. Now with the 2nd pump and aprox. 4.500Km it´s leaking again.
Not so severe, this time I have "only" oil drops accumulation around the pump drain bolt, that spread all-over the surrounding components. I’ll probably don’t accept another pump replacement as I don´t believe a new replacement will add anything new. I'll probably change my mind in case Honda gives an official solution.

At least is not losing any coolant and honestly, the oil drops seem not to be causing oil level drop on the crankcase. I don´t like the idea of having a new bike being repaired several times.

Disappointment is what I feal. New bike was supposed to bring me freedom and amusement and in practice, I can´t stop checking the engine bottom looking for this sh...
I would have much more to say about this, but is useless. I’m just here sharing that this looks to be a systematic problem and Honda has no effective solution for it. If they do, I would like to know what is the solution!

Last edited:

motorider

CBR650R ABS
May 6, 2021
Riding Since
Hello.

My August 2021 CB650R started from new leaking oil from water pump. I was aware of the problem with pump shaft seals leaking oil, I knew what was happening.
Pump was replaced under warranty at aprox. 2.500Km. Now with the 2nd pump and aprox. 4.500Km it´s leaking again.
Not so severe, this time I have "only" oil drops accumulation around the pump drain bolt. If it doesn´t get worse, I’ll probably don’t accept any more replacements as I don´t believe a new replacement will add anything new.

At least is not losing any coolant and honestly, the few drops are not lowering oil level on the crankcase. I don´t like the idea of having a new bike being repaired several times. I’ll give just one example: they replaced the pump and sent me home. In the next say, I was back with an empty coolant tank! Circuit bleeding was not fully well done!

Disappointment is what I feal. New bike was supposed to bring me freedom and amusement and in practice, I can´t stop checking the engine bottom looking for this sh...
I would have much more to say about this, but is useless. I’m just here sharing that this looks to be a systematic problem and Honda has no effective solution for it. If they do, I would like to know what is the solution!
There is a mechanical seal that is likely leaking. When replaced it may leak at first until it seals itself after the engine is up to temp and has run for a while. If you have a leak after the first hour of riding then you should bring it back and have them fix it again. A new bike should not leak, Honda needs to know about the problem so they can fix it.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
They know about it! They just pretend they don´t know because they have no effective solution and they need to keep on making millions in profit and keep on feeding the myth of Honda reliability.

All bikes I've checked have a drop of oil, and they were several. Similar problem seems to affect also CB500X engines. Different engine, same pump solution, same problem! Have you noticed that newly developed engines have the water pump inside the engine case?! Check the new twin engine from the Africa Twin.
I guess most of the users don´t care, most don’t look at the bottom of the engine. I would like to be one of those. :-(
Not only Honda knows as it seems that they added this pin in the engine casting to direct oil to the floor instead of spreading all over. And I was able to confirm it works! Oil leak stream hits it and goes down! Isn´t that clever?! This is my bike prior to the pump replacement. Can you see that the crankcase is dry immediatly after this ingenious pin and the oil is directed down to the filter and then to the floor?! This is called "containment action". Doesn’t act on the root cause of a problem but minimises its effects.

CB crankcase.jpg

There is a mechanical seal that is likely leaking. When replaced it may leak at first until it seals itself after the engine is up to temp and has run for a while. If you have a leak after the first hour of riding then you should bring it back and have them fix it again. A new bike should not leak, Honda needs to know about the problem so they can fix it.THey ey

Last edited:

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
Coming from the Triumph world, if the bike isn't dripping/sweating a little oil, that means your bike is out of oil! We wipe it off and go for a ride. It should not however be mixing oil and coolant, or spewing oil ... man, my Street Triple 765 was the worst, minor oil leak both sides.

A @Atucker, losing coolant with coolant caked on the engine exterior, did you get that repaired, what was the issue?

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I opened a case with Honda and they promptly informed me that mine was the 1st and only report of anything like this with the CBR650. As soon as I called them out on that claim they completely ceased all communication and have been absolutely nonresponsive since.

I still plan to take it in to the dealer, but it's been too cold in Ohio to take it in and when I called they said service was scheduling a few months out at this point so I'll wait until the spring. I did order a bottle of coolant to replace what was low, but when I checked the reservoir it was almost spot on. I didn't run it to check the radiator, but I suspect that it's actually leaked very little. I'm more concerned with the dripping oil and the potential for mixing oil and coolant than anything else. Fairly certain the issue will end up being the o-ring, but too cold and too busy to really pursue for now. I'll keep everyone posted once I get back to the bike

Last edited:
Top Bottom