• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs Oil leak

Jp8

CBR650R ABS
Apr 1, 2023
Riding Since
Yeah goblin I think I had been riding for a while with the leak as I never saw any drips on the garage floor. I will contact the dealer. It’s an awesome bike I just hope I don’t end up in an infinite loop of getting new pumps that leak…

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Yeah goblin I think I had been riding for a while with the leak as I never saw any drips on the garage floor. I will contact the dealer. It’s an awesome bike I just hope I don’t end up in an infinite loop of getting new pumps that leak
Don’t worry about it to much, your problem is solved with a new pump. Just don’t agree with only an o-ring replacement, let them know that you know about this issue! The Honda bikes are solid 👊

Jp8

CBR650R ABS
Apr 1, 2023
Riding Since
Don’t worry about it to much, your problem is solved with a new pump. Just don’t agree with only an o-ring replacement, let them know that you know about this issue! The Honda bikes are solid 👊
I’ll make sure they replace the pump, thank you for the advice!

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hey guys, I believe I have this same water pump issue with my brand new 2023 cbr650r 😪. The day after a 2 hour long and very “spirited” ride in the mountains I checked my oil level and the dipstick was dry (coolant level seems to be steady). These pictures show what I found, does this seem to be the same issue and has anyone else had it happen with the 2023 models? Of course I’m well within the warranty but I’m not optimistic about replacing seals or the whole pump after reading this entire thread… This is very frustrating and I’m worried if I’ve done any damage by riding with low oil level.
Hello.

Sorry to know you have the infamous oil leak.
What you show on the images is a very small leak and won’t be enough to cause your oil level to drop, 2 or 3 drops of oil are enough to cause this but not drop the level fast.
Probably you are measuring the level the wrong way. Don´t worry about riding the bike. Just go to your dealer and show them the leak and ask for a pump replacement. In the meantime, you can ride it with no issues. That is a minor leak.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Yeah looks like your pump is leaking oil, but I also see some oil coming out of the oil sump sealant. Let the dealer sort it out. If your dipstick is dry then the bike is leaking for some time or the oil level was low to begin with. Glad the bike is still under warranty!
No, the oil leak tends to migrate through the sump sealing line, because oil finds it as a progression barrier ans travels throug it.
Mine was the same.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Agree with the fact that replacing the fitting O-ring doesn’t fix it.

Disagree on the affirmation that the pump replacement will (absolutly) solve it. Many, including me, didn´t had it fixed with the pump replacement!
Seems that the pumps in stock, have a similar failure rate than the ones fitted on the bikes.

I don´t know what to say about this and other coolant pumps quality. I tested the new Honda Transalp, the engine cover was covered in blue gunk (dry coolant), recently saw in a show room a new CB1000R with a dry blue puddle beneath it! A close friend 2022 CB500X is also leaking oil as ours!
What is wrong with this Honda?!

sp1d3r

CBR650R ABS
Apr 5, 2023
Riding Since
Make sure you’re checking the oil with the bike level - I doubt it would leak so bad to be bone dry unless you were riding hard like this for 5k miles or more without topping off, but yeah looks to be the same issue. I also had it on my 2022 CBR650R. I ended up trading the bike for a Ninja 1000SX because I thought it was absurd Honda hasn’t fixed this issue for years and probably never will. I was able to trade the bike in, with the oil leak, at the same dealership I bought it at with no issues, they were aware of the problem and still gave me the fair value price. The N1k obviously makes more power than the CBR650R but I do miss the bike a lot because I’d done a lot of work to it to make it mine. I’ll probably never buy another Honda again after dealing with this whole situation.

Doyouevenride

CB650F
Mar 15, 2023
Riding Since
Sup y’all!
Interesting reading this tread. I have a 2015 CB650F with 70k km and with the infamous droplet of oil. Living with it, but this will be my last Honda.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Sup y’all!
Interesting reading this tread. I have a 2015 CB650F with 70k km and with the infamous droplet of oil. Living with it, but this will be my last Honda.
It’s your choice to swear off Honda but just to be clear the “infamous” droplet of oil due to a poor water pump connection is a ‘19+ phenomenon and normally doesn’t affect the 14-18 models.

With 70k km, or like 45,000 miles, on an almost 10 year old bike I’d say an easy to change water pump is a minor repair, and hardly indicative of a massive issue. My ‘16 Silverado with 105,000 miles on it just needed an alternator that i installed last week, I wouldn’t not buy a Chevy because of that. Waterpumps, alternators (or stators), tires, shocks, bearings, bushings and brakes are all pretty much wear parts.

But that’s your call to make.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
It’s your choice to swear off Honda but just to be clear the “infamous” droplet of oil due to a poor water pump connection is a ‘19+ phenomenon and normally doesn’t affect the 14-18 models.

With 70k km, or like 45,000 miles, on an almost 10 year old bike I’d say an easy to change water pump is a minor repair, and hardly indicative of a massive issue. My ‘16 Silverado with 105,000 miles on it just needed an alternator that i installed last week, I wouldn’t not buy a Chevy because of that. Waterpumps, alternators (or stators), tires, shocks, bearings, bushings and brakes are all pretty much wear parts.

But that’s your call to make.
What I experience, for the 2nd time, is not a fitting leak. It's a pump shaft seal leak. I was able to confirm that the oil is comming from the weep hole. But in the replacement pump, the leak is really minor. I can only see the bottom pump screw is oily. Nothing major. Apart from that, the bike has been totally fine after 29kkm.

Top Bottom