• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Help needed!! Issue with build quality on a 2019 CB650R.

Drewster123

CBR650F ABS
Feb 16, 2018
There is certain people on here and no matter what bike u will own you will find faults. It's rich coming from me but just enjoy the thing 😂😂😂😂

Junior J

CB650F ABS
Jan 19, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland
I agree to this too Drewster can find faults but there are some clear manufacturing issues with not just bikes, look at tech such as mobile phones etc. but can see this on any owners forum. Reasons may be people tend to look after their bike better are invested in their purchase and genuinely care about it.
Apart from this secondly is aftercare by owners/ dealers I'm lucky enough to have had older guys like my grandpa educate me in tools/ maintenance then studied engineering though have a different career now. Little things in maintenance can make a world of difference but it's personal choice. I like semi rural in Scotland so need to do things around house and garden example is have saws which are 100 plus years old from grandpa which have just been well looked after - every use cleaned then wiped over with oiled rag then stored properly mate left his in damp shed and rusted through after laughing at me and my ocd/ routine had to borrow one to trim back tree in garden. I don't tend to moralise just allowed him to ponder difference. Learned same tool maintenance in college for drill bits, hand tools etc.
Cars and bike have been same dad insisted if if owned it better know how to fix it so learned from around 11/12 how to work on cars net result do most jobs myself have trusted mechanics for jobs outwith my capabilities and glad the OG's from grandpa, dad then college taught me well

niels

CBR650R ABS
Jun 13, 2019
I just noticed that I'm suffering the same issue of corrosion at the exact same location. I only have about 700 km on it with 2 rides in the rain.

I've an appointment for the 1000 km service in about 10 days, so I will point out this issue and hope to have a decent solution.

- Niels

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
Well my bike has slight corrosion on the side of the hose clamp, after about 800 miles of riding. I just put some ACF50 type grease all over the clamp to prevent the corrosion progressing. Think I will be going back out to the garage to check other things members have noticed!

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
Ok, so checked gear selector linkage and that seems fine, but when I checked the radiator, lo and behold a bolt appears to be missing from the upper left mount! Attached a picture so members can see, I would recommend all those with a new bike to go and have a look. Am a bit surprised considering it has already had the 600 mile service as well as pre-sale check and they missed it on both occasions at the dealer.

Guess i will have to contact the dealer and get them to send a new bolt!

CBR650R radbolt.jpg

58webbing

CB650R
Mar 10, 2019
England
I have just checked mine and there is no bolt. I dont think that it should have a bolt as it looks like a fixed hollow spigot that fits into a rubber grommet on the rad, so the radiator is located securely and is held in place with the 1 upper and 1 lower bolts .If these bolts are removed the rad should slide to one side until the spigots are free of the grommets allowing removal. If that makes sense.

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
Yep, I have come to that conclusion too having just removed the bottom bolt, and found that the threads don't locate into anything when inserted in the hollow tube.

Cones

CB650R
May 10, 2019
Hi,

I think that is how it is supposed to be. The welded nut and bolt is only on one side. The other side had a welded boss with no threads for a bolt to fix to. It will not fall off until all the other side and base fixings are undone.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Yup, that’s just a locating pin like others said.

If you think the dealership went over EVERY bolt at the 600 mi service, I have a bridge I’m looking to sell you might be interested in.

They have it a cursory check at best, and definitely didn’t remove any bodywork to check anything under it. Just giving you the truth.

Ok, so checked gear selector linkage and that seems fine, but when I checked the radiator, lo and behold a bolt appears to be missing from the upper left mount! Attached a picture so members can see, I would recommend all those with a new bike to go and have a look. Am a bit surprised considering it has already had the 600 mile service as well as pre-sale check and they missed it on both occasions at the dealer.

Guess i will have to contact the dealer and get them to send a new bolt!

View attachment 3546

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
True, and of course I dont expect panels to be removed but it doesnt take much to look up between the front forks and check the radiator for damage etc.

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
For those worried about scratches on the new models dash, I have got one of these speedo angel protectors. Works just like those you get for mobile phones and fitting is relatively easy. I had some very fine scratches that are now hidden behind the protector. Worth the small price, got mine off Amazon.

20190716_195955.jpg

niels

CBR650R ABS
Jun 13, 2019
For those worried about scratches on the new models dash, I have got one of these speedo angel protectors. Works just like those you get for mobile phones and fitting is relatively easy. I had some very fine scratches that are now hidden behind the protector. Worth the small price, got mine off Amazon.

I second the choice of Speedo Angle screen protectors. I did order the clear version via eBay and I must say I'm very happy with it. It went on very easily, without any bumps or bubbles. It's only on the bike for a few weeks, so time will tell if it stays on properly.

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
While we are talking about the new generation dash, why is there so much negativity about them in bike magazines? I have a feeling they just review the bike with the factory setting, as once you adjust the brightness they are fine. Even with factory settings I was able to read the dash with no issue, in direct sunlight it is easier to read. I guess all these journo's are used to the bright TFT colour ones on more expensive bikes.

Top Bottom