• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Help needed!! Issue with build quality on a 2019 CB650R.

EnglishBikerDan

CB650R
Mar 27, 2019
Surrey
Hi all,

So, I need some help. I have had my bike around a month or so, have only covered 880 miles, never been out in rain and always covered. However, I seem to have some rather bad corrosion on the water pipe that goes into the engine. While it may not be an issue technically, this is not a good thing to see on a brand new bike!

I've spoken to the dealer and their response was "This has happened with our demo bike". They have said they will look at it but from my conversation with the sales guy, I felt they were quite dismissive. Can I ask if anyone else has this issue and if not, could you post a pic and let me know mileage etc? I really want to head them off at the pass in case they come back saying "This is just how it is".

The area in question is towards the rear of the engine, there's a gap you can look through while crouching next to the bike.

I also found a missing bolt on the radiator and the header bolts were literally finger tight, I unscrewed all of them without a tool when fitting my new exhaust.

I love this bike but I am just a little worried about the QA!

Help would be very much appreciated.

Dan

Attachments

• 57649234_10155968480570957_4074864687529852928_o.jpg
    57649234_10155968480570957_4074864687529852928_o.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 326

GJP

CB650R ABS
Apr 25, 2019
I have only had mine a week Dan but will happily check for you later, just remind me when you need an update ok

58webbing

CB650R
Mar 10, 2019
England
I have just checked my bike out (400 Miles) and all is pristine. Your loose header nuts sounds to me like someone has been messing about. I would check other fasteners for signs of use, ie the rest of the exhaust etc. If they have been used the plating will show some small signs of distress. The only quality issue I have found so far was about 1/4 turn throttle play.

matt650

CBR650F ABS
Sep 5, 2018
Bedfordshire
Anecdotally when i collected my new 2018 CBR650F last September, i was quietly impressed that virtually every bolt i could find looked like it had been marked as checked for correct torque. Small blue markings everywhere on everything. Not sure if this was done by the dealer or the factory but it gave me a lot of piece of mind.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hi all,

So, I need some help. I have had my bike around a month or so, have only covered 880 miles, never been out in rain and always covered. However, I seem to have some rather bad corrosion on the water pipe that goes into the engine. While it may not be an issue technically, this is not a good thing to see on a brand new bike!

I've spoken to the dealer and their response was "This has happened with our demo bike". They have said they will look at it but from my conversation with the sales guy, I felt they were quite dismissive. Can I ask if anyone else has this issue and if not, could you post a pic and let me know mileage etc? I really want to head them off at the pass in case they come back saying "This is just how it is".

The area in question is towards the rear of the engine, there's a gap you can look through while crouching next to the bike.

I also found a missing bolt on the radiator and the header bolts were literally finger tight, I unscrewed all of them without a tool when fitting my new exhaust.

I love this bike but I am just a little worried about the QA!

Help would be very much appreciated.

Dan
For the most part, what you have noticed as far as corrosion is a bit typical for these Tailand built Honda's in salty environments. There's a reason these bikes cost 20% less than a comparable Japanese built Honda and the ones built in years past. Most of the "early life" corrosion cases were fixed by dealers so you should be able to go back and get the parts replaced. I know my 650F was built well, but parts on it oxidized and slightly corroded MUCH easier and faster than other bikes I've owned, also from different manufacturers, but I expected it based on the price/value and just kept up with it.

I do not ride or live in a salt water environment and don't ride in the winter, however.

On the other hand, the loose header bolts and missing radiator bolt is more troubling. I have yet to find anything wrong with the build quality on these "inexpensive" models (I had a Grom, NC700X and the CBR650F, all Tailand built) just that they weren't as "finished" as my Japanese built VFR's and CBR's of older days. Hoping it's just a fluke, but I'd take it to my dealer and have them go over it from front to back and insist on that. You may have some trouble since you have modified the bike but I would still try.

EnglishBikerDan

CB650R
Mar 27, 2019
Surrey
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to raise a warranty claim with Honda for these parts as they've used these horrid steel clamps all over the hoses and they have all corroded. Weirdly, my 2018 CB500X is totally fine. Some parts have gone that white colour but I rode all winter so to be expected. The CB650R however is new and hasn't even been washed yet! I'll let you know the outcome.

GJP

CB650R ABS
Apr 25, 2019
Anecdotally when i collected my new 2018 CBR650F last September, i was quietly impressed that virtually every bolt i could find looked like it had been marked as checked for correct torque. Small blue markings everywhere on everything. Not sure if this was done by the dealer or the factory but it gave me a lot of piece of mind.
Mines the same, all marked up

EnglishBikerDan

CB650R
Mar 27, 2019
Surrey
My bolts are all marked up, just all these hose clamps are rusted to shit. Seems common on quite a few bikes as the clamps are untreated steel. I might just get them replaced at some point with something decent.

Fasterclouds39

CBR650R ABS
Apr 5, 2019
Yes i think the thailand built bikes do lack build quality of jap built older bikes, i thonk its money saving idea feom honda im not very happy about it as i told the dealer

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
' For the most part, what you have noticed as far as corrosion is a bit typical for these Tailand built Honda's in salty environments.'
'Weirdly, my 2018 CB500X is totally fine' - so maybe it isn't typical of Thailand built Hondas !

EnglishBikerDan

CB650R
Mar 27, 2019
Surrey
These clamps are on all the large rubber hoses. So from the radiator and into the engine and also underneath the engine. Honda are getting replacements for me.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
'Save the old clamps and get them zinc (or similar) plated in case the replacements are no better than the originals.' - if that was the case wouldn't it be better to just replace the clamps with stainless steel ones ?

Top Bottom