• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Cleaning your chain

redbeardmark

Moto3
Jun 2, 2016
Kassel, Germany
I used to get kerosene(Jet A) from the airport for free(they drain a little from the fuel tanks daily to ensure there is no water), and used it to clean the chain on my dual-sport. Stinky stuff. If you can tolerate the smell, ask at your local small airport.
Now, I am a city slicker. I buy my chain cleaning/oiling supplies at the motorcycle supply store.

Does anybody use WD40 for... fishing?

Avtech

CBR650F ABS
Apr 25, 2018
Has anyone used Silkolene http://www.silkolene.com/motorcycle/chain-lubes/chain-lube?

i have used/am using Wurth High Perfomance wax - a dry lube -low fling - however it is non durable(as its dry- a wax) so requires application more frequently - i believe after @4 hours riding and i am looking to find something that is relatively low fling but a little more durable and needs applying less frequently.

Dont have the time to spend frequent hours cleaning but try to keep on top as top of the chores as I go along..

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
I use old diesel to clean the chain. Had a friend who filled his motorcycle with diesel, drained and kept it to clean stuff.

Then I used a beat up rice cooker to heat gear oil, then apply lube to the chain with a brush.

The gear oil is 80W90. It's thick and doesn't fling much.

6000197248693.jpg

bobstrax

CB650F ABS
Oct 1, 2017
Lincolnshire
I use old diesel to clean the chain. Had a friend who filled his motorcycle with diesel, drained and kept it to clean stuff.

Then I used a beat up rice cooker to heat gear oil, then apply lube to the chain with a brush.

The gear oil is 80W90. It's thick and doesn't fling much.

View attachment 1879
I know an old Racer who used to have all his chains off the bikes and into a shallow trough of Diesel over the Winter, never tried it but he swore by it.

Baby Vanta

CB650F
May 20, 2020
Riding Since
I’m a little late to the party but,

I just use the Honda branded chain cleaner and lube aerosols. Highly doubt they work any better than the cheaper stuff but it’s what I got in the garage...usually.

mako

CB650R ABS
Dec 19, 2019
FL
Kerosene (paraffin) works great and is dirt cheap. Put in a spray bottle, apply while spinning the tire, let sit for a minute if needed, use chain brush to scrub all 4 sides.

Rinse off with water from the hose.

Spin tire while applying chain wax to the inside of the chain (not the outside). Spin tire while gripping the chain with a rag to soak up excess wax.

Let dry for ~15 minutes.

I don't use chain "lube" or "oil"... Too messy with no benefit.

Maxima 74920 Chain Wax - 13.5 oz. Aerosol Amazon product

Pretty much the way I do all my chains, bicycles included. Kerosene/heater oil has no = as a degreaser, IMHO, and is uber cheap. Paraffin is top notch for chain lube and doesn't leave a mess anywhere. You won't be cleaning it off your swingarm, wheels, suspension etc. Maxima works extremely well in that regard.

Only thing I have added to my routine would be a Grease Ninja for the lube application. Pretty amazing little tool that puts the lube where you want it and nowhere else.
132993306.jpg

ghehen

CBR650F ABS
Jun 27, 2019
Vietnam
i can not get Kerosene from my local gas station so i bought diesel instead, my chain now 13000+km and keep going well. 10 minute per week with diesel may not hurt orings.

koofdome

CB650F
Apr 27, 2020
Chicago, USA
Riding Since
What do you use to clean your chain? I see so many different suggestions but there's always someone that says "oh no, you should never use that". So what do you use? S100, WD40, diesel, petroleum, kerosine?
The MAXIMA brand chain cleaner, comes in a blue can. I spray that as I rotate the rear wheel (on stands of course) a few cycles. Then I poke a hole in a water bottle cap and just spray the chain clean until the goop dripping into the ground is clear. Then I know it's clean.

Then let it dry, let the water clear out. After about a half hour I will check if it's dry, then hit it with a nice coating of the MAXIMA wax in the brown can.

My chains have always been SPOTLESS and never once failed me.

Plasma

CB650R
Nov 8, 2020
Riding Since
I just use a old sock with 80-90 gear oil keeps the chain clean and well lub'd,thats what Honda say to use.

Plasma.

44_pixel

CBR650R ABS
Apr 18, 2020
Riding Since
I use break pad cleaner, they're cheaper than motorbike chain cleaners and better in my opinion, but I use Motul racing chain lube, i find Motul to stick to the chain much better than iphone and other brands, and it also doesn't spoil your rear end as much.

JasCBR650R

CBR650R
Jun 12, 2020
Riding Since
Ive just purchased some Muc-off products the chain cleaner and the chain lube, then used a chain brush a cloth and it did the trick just fine. Only thing I regret is not having an ABBA stand. But that will be sorted soon as Ive just ordered one!

Karbyn_Blak

CBR650F ABS
Apr 6, 2022
Canberra, Australia
Riding Since
I watched a video on the weekend that suggested using kerosene as a degreaser for the chain. Let me tell you, it works perfectly!!
Gave the chain a good soaking all over with kero in a spray bottle, then used a Penrite chain brush to clean it all up. Gave it another spray with kero to get all the loosened grime out. Wipe off all the excess and allow to dry (20-30 mins) and then applied Penrite Factory racing lube to it. Also adjusted the chain slack...it rides like a brand new bike now! :happy: 🍺

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
I watched a video on the weekend that suggested using kerosene as a degreaser for the chain. Let me tell you, it works perfectly!!
Gave the chain a good soaking all over with kero in a spray bottle, then used a Penrite chain brush to clean it all up. Gave it another spray with kero to get all the loosened grime out. Wipe off all the excess and allow to dry (20-30 mins) and then applied Penrite Factory racing lube to it. Also adjusted the chain slack...it rides like a brand new bike now! :happy: 🍺
Been using kerosene for cleaning and gear oil for lubing the last 3 years. They work well and are the cheapest options

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Been using kerosene for cleaning and gear oil for lubing the last 3 years. They work well and are the cheapest options
Hello everyone. I am convinced kerosene is the best and cheapest choice for cleaning chains, from what I learned online.
Problem is that I don´t know what is Kerosene here in Portugal :-( I know it´s a very common product is US, Australia, but here, or we don´t have it or we call it another thing :-(
Can someone clarify? TIA

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
Hello everyone. I am convinced kerosene is the best and cheapest choice for cleaning chains, from what I learned online.
Problem is that I don´t know what is Kerosene here in Portugal :-( I know it´s a very common product is US, Australia, but here, or we don´t have it or we call it another thing :-(
Can someone clarify? TIA
I think it may also be called paraffin oil. In my country we use it for domestic home heating you can buy it at the pump in some fuel stations or agri co-OP group. Few euros will buy you 5 litres. That will last you years.

Top Bottom