• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650R Cbr 650r rear wheel feels unstable while cornering.

JDW0502

CBR650R ABS
Feb 23, 2022
Riding Since
Hey guys

I recently felt while taking a corner that my rear wheel started to lose grip while taking a corner. The feeling even gets worse when it the road is slippery. It only starts when i lean to a far enough point. I currently have the michelin pilot power 2ct tires on the bike. Did anyone experience the same thing?

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
Are your tyre pressures correct?
Are they new tyres? i.e. have they been 'scrubbed in'?

I find the stock tyres on the CBR terrible, but i wouldnt expect to feel like that on michelin tyres.

JDW0502

CBR650R ABS
Feb 23, 2022
Riding Since
Yes everything is correct. I have the tires for 2 months now and i ride daily but it just happend recently. The stock tyres are indeed terrible that is why i changed to these ones. I read alot of great things about these ones and my friends that use these also never experiences the same issue.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Yes everything is correct. I have the tires for 2 months now and i ride daily but it just happend recently. The stock tyres are indeed terrible that is why i changed to these ones. I read alot of great things about these ones and my friends that use these also never experiences the same issue.
I was going to mention tire pressure but you say that’s correct, so I’m not sure where else to go. What tire oressure do you use?

So let’s start from the top:

- Did the old tires feel this way?
- Are they actually “slipping” or do you feel like they are slipping?
- When you say the road is slippery, in what way: remain, snow, salt, sand?
- What is the temp when this happens?
- How early in the ride do you feel it? Does it get better the longer you go?
- Any other bike changes?
- What is the date code on the tire?
- Were they new when you put them on?

The Pilot Power 2CT is an old design, and personally I never really liked them back in 2011 or so when they came out. They were fine for the time but there are MUCH better tires available nowadays. Answer the questions above and we can see what we can help with.

JDW0502

CBR650R ABS
Feb 23, 2022
Riding Since
I was going to mention tire pressure but you say that’s correct, so I’m not sure where else to go. What tire oressure do you use?

So let’s start from the top:

- Did the old tires feel this way?
- Are they actually “slipping” or do you feel like they are slipping?
- When you say the road is slippery, in what way: remain, snow, salt, sand?
- What is the temp when this happens?
- How early in the ride do you feel it? Does it get better the longer you go?
- Any other bike changes?
- What is the date code on the tire?
- Were they new when you put them on?

The Pilot Power 2CT is an old design, and personally I never really liked them back in 2011 or so when they came out. They were fine for the time but there are MUCH better tires available nowadays. Answer the questions above and we can see what we can help with.
The old tyre just immediately lost grip when going over 1/4 throttle on a wet road even when going in a straight line. These ones don’t lose grip when going in a straight line but if I lean to a certain point the rear slips and then grips back all the time. It gets worse when the road is wet. It also doesn’t get better the longer the ride. It is mostly around 10 degrees celsius here. I bought the tyres new and the date code on the tyres is 1721 for the back and 2421 for the front. Nothing else has been changed on the bike other than the tires and exhaust.

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
The old tyre just immediately lost grip when going over 1/4 throttle on a wet road even when going in a straight line. These ones don’t lose grip when going in a straight line but if I lean to a certain point the rear slips and then grips back all the time. It gets worse when the road is wet. It also doesn’t get better the longer the ride. It is mostly around 10 degrees celsius here. I bought the tyres new and the date code on the tyres is 1721 for the back and 2421 for the front. Nothing else has been changed on the bike other than the tires and exhaust.
Check your rear suspension.
Also your riding style and Bodyweight distribution.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
I have had once or twice a sudden loss of power or what feels like a loss of traction when going in a straight line in 5th. Both out of the blue and when I looked down on the dash I dont see any flashing that would indicate TC has kicked in (not sure if a warning does pop up?)

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hello.

TC warning flashed during traction control event but disappeared immediately after the event ends. I've seen it a couple of time and all were justified by the circumstance, hard acceleration in poor grip surface.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Well, the OEM tires aren’t great but I wouldn’t think they’d break free over 1/4 throttle on a wet road, the bike doesn’t have that kind of power, so I’m stumped because TC should be stopping most slips. Im not sure how you’ve changed your riding style in wet vs. dry but any tire doesn’t like sudden and sharp throttle inputs on wet and slippery ground.

I’d say FogDucker @FogDucker is onto something with body position and suspension being likely causes.

By any chance are the slips always on a specific pavement in a certain area? Might be that particular road.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I have those 2s on my 600RR. 8K miles, no issues. Just replaced with a new one. My buddy runs them on is VFR he tracks it. I suspect you have something else going on.

trippy

CB650R ABS
May 2, 2021
Riding Since
If the tyre is actually slipping it might be a combination of low temperature and high pressure. You can try dropping 2-3 PSI.

If the tyre is not slipping and only feels like it does it could be an issue with the bearings, wheel balance or wheel alignment.

daLe32

CB650R
Mar 11, 2021
Riding Since
Sir what tire pressure do you use on front and rear tires?

baloo2650

CB650F ABS
May 14, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Riding Since
After you rule out the easy, mechanical stuff like checking tire pressure and making sure all the bolts and screws are tight, I'm going to suggest that you try taking a racing-oriented riding course. I promise it will be the best $ you can spend on getting the most from your bike and yourself. Learn how it feels when pushing things a bit. -And it's really good fun too!

OneyedK

CB650R ABS
Jun 19, 2021
Riding Since
The old tyre just immediately lost grip when going over 1/4 throttle on a wet road even when going in a straight line. These ones don’t lose grip when going in a straight line but if I lean to a certain point the rear slips and then grips back all the time. It gets worse when the road is wet. It also doesn’t get better the longer the ride.
I've got the '21 CB 650R version. Am I correct in assuming that your rider weight (with gear) is south of 80kg?

Top Bottom