• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's 4000 miles of pleasure, now come the real fun part (service maintenance!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam
Hi lads,

I got my bike for nearly a year already. I am about to reach 4000 miles or 6400kms (I rode mostly on weekends). 95% of my ridding session is in the city with no rough terrains. There maybe a few times I hit some decent holes which I nearly crash + I ussually go hard on the rev when the light turned green :happy:. I am dummy for bike maintenance but I did most of the services by myself.

- changed oil at 1000km (+ oil filter) and 3000km already. I am going to make another change in oil at 4000 miles
- clean and lube my chains every wash (around 1 per month)
- replaced the air filter at 3000km along with the full system Akrapovic system

I hope you fellow riders and shred some lights on what parts should I check and fix when I reach 4000 miles. I am looking at changing up my chains with spockets but do you guys think it is a bit too early ?

Please excuse my shoes and socks :woot:

z1764980742852_d10e34becdf915779572b7771eeeb02b.jpg

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam
A good guide is the back of the Owners Manual, which provides maintenance intervals. Changing chain/sprocket at 4K is unnecessary.

thanks man but I felt like the owners manual is not detail enough. And the period it takes until service is way too long ? Or it should be like that ?

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
thanks man but I felt like the owners manual is not detail enough. And the period it takes until service is way too long ? Or it should be like that ?

I trust the manual for chain slack & tire pressure settings my life depends on. Don't you?

So why stop trusting it for maintenance intervals?

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
You are servicing the bike twice as often as required.

These are solid bikes, the engine is not really a high power, high stress unit.

Oil gets done once a year, filter every other year... and most other things are at 16k miles or more.

You are over spending by a massive margin!

J

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Oil gets done once a year, filter every other year...
Just had my bike serviced at 2 years old 13,000 miles and they didn't do the air filter. Basically oil and filter change ,brakes cleaned and lubricated (with copper grease ! ) and general check over . Had new chain and sprocket kit fitted as some links on old chain links kinked and sticking ( had hoped the chain could have been resuscitated but presume dealer thought it would have been too much trouble or not possible ) New chain came with factory preservative grease coating only , but I have a Scottoiler fitted. (oils outer side of chain but outside of inner links soon go rusty if left without further treatment )

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Air filter is every 16k. Surprised they didn't do it a bit early, otherwise you need it done in 3k time (with another strip down)

Doesn't sound like your scottoiler is adjusted correctly if the inside of the chain rusting.

J

User26

CBR650R ABS
Aug 8, 2019
Riding Since
Don't you guys lose the warranty if you do the maintenance yourself? I'm pretty sure it would be a problem over here if the maintenance was not done by an authorized dealer and something went wrong with the motorcycle. So for the first 2 years, I won't do any of the maintenance myself. (Except chain maintenance ofcourse)

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Don't you guys lose the warranty if you do the maintenance yourself? I'm pretty sure it would be a problem over here if the maintenance was not done by an authorized dealer and something went wrong with the motorcycle. So for the first 2 years, I won't do any of the maintenance myself. (Except chain maintenance ofcourse)
In the US you don’t, as long as you can prove you did it (receipts, pictures) and they can’t prove what you did caused the issue.

So if you change the oil and have a fuel system issue, you’d be fine. However if you replace a tire yourself, not at a professional shop, and the rim cracks, you’re probably screwed.

I changed oil myself in my Ducati at 450 miles because I would be way past the 600 mile service when I got back from my trip. Bought the oil and filter from the dealer, took a pic of the receipt and the odo then when I got back from the trip the dealer did the “annual” service and 600 mile service around 875 miles or something like that. They wanted to skip the oil change since I had just done it, but that was their choice they made, and I refused, made them change it.

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
*Prior* to my 600 mile oil change I communicated with my dealer (good people) . They allowed a DIY, I bought both oil and filter from them, kept receipt, documented date performed and ODO reading (598 miles). On my '19 CBR650R model...full easy access to both drain plug and filter...no fairing removal required at all! Kudos to Honda on that design with access in mind! 600 mi service went without a hitch, near effortless.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Air filter is every 16k. Surprised they didn't do it a bit early, otherwise you need it done in 3k time (with another strip down)
Don't think there was any strip down to change the oil and filter and clean the brakes !

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
On my '19 CBR650R model...full easy access to both drain plug and filter...no fairing removal required at all! Kudos to Honda on that design with access in mind!
That's the least they could do, some other things aren't so easily accessible though! (that applies to a lot of bikes of course )

ghehen

CBR650F ABS
Jun 27, 2019
Vietnam
oil change every 4000km and filter after 8000km. Traffic is so bad in Hanoi, Vietnam. Traffic jam, bad road, high temperature effect the oil quality. My chain and sprocket doing just fine at 13.000km. OEM chain maybe use X-ring seal so i think it can reach 20.000km with my style of riding, adjust 4 times since i got the bike - clean and lube every 300km or after a rainy day.
Clutch cable/clutch lever clean and lube every 3000km - keep decent feeling like new.
With air pollution at my country and also bad quality fuel, i brought the bike to workshop for service at 10.000km - air filter replaced, cleaned spark plugs, fuel injection, throttle body/valve.
Schedule to replace my tires, iridium NGK spark plugs, chain & sprockets at 20.000km with the second service

Arnie

CB650F
Mar 30, 2020
Riding Since
It must be different in each country but if it is like the way it is here in AU, I wouldn't trust the dealer workshop at all. My dealer did the 1st service @ 1000 kms and said that it didn't need anything until 12000 kms. I just replaced the oil with Castrol Racing 1 Full Synthetic 4w50 and the difference is like day and night. It runs much much smoother now, same goes for the clutch.

ghehen

CBR650F ABS
Jun 27, 2019
Vietnam
It must be different in each country but if it is like the way it is here in AU, I wouldn't trust the dealer workshop at all. My dealer did the 1st service @ 1000 kms and said that it didn't need anything until 12000 kms. I just replaced the oil with Castrol Racing 1 Full Synthetic 4w50 and the difference is like day and night. It runs much much smoother now, same goes for the clutch.
3rd party oil absolutely better than oem oil of Honda. Keep working with easy maintainance job, you will love your bike more than before :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom