• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650F 2018 CB650F Exhaust

DRyker

Amateur
Jun 17, 2017
Arkansas
Just one other thing,if the cops pull you over for any reason and they see your exhaust, they will know it is not
stock if they see multi-colors.You will be fined and have to change it,is it worth the hassle?

I don't know about other places, but I know for a fact that in the majority of the US there's no law against running a custom exhaust. Some cops can ticket you for a noise violation, but those don't stick because officers don't have the equipment to measure how loud an exhaust is so they can't prove its too loud.

California and New York, and maybe a couple of other states too, have emissions requirements that may or may not require a stock exhaust.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
DRyker, You are right you can have aftermarket exhaust,but the ones in thailand that are multi-color are
so loud it's like running straight pipes. Even scootors get fined here everyday.And the cops take your bike,
you have to change it at the police station to get you bike back. I have been pull over many times at road
blocks and not once have the police even looked at my Termignoni carbon exhaust,Why because it looks
and sounds Great!

Last edited:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I don't know about other places, but I know for a fact that in the majority of the US there's no law against running a custom exhaust. Some cops can ticket you for a noise violation, but those don't stick because officers don't have the equipment to measure how loud an exhaust is so they can't prove its too loud.

California and New York, and maybe a couple of other states too, have emissions requirements that may or may not require a stock exhaust.
That’s absolutely incorrect and can, and will, eventually get you a fix it ticket at the very least, if not an impound at the worst.

EVERY state has a law against tampering with the emissions system and your exhaust, catalytic converter and muffler is all part of that. Some states enforce it rigorously, California, Arizona and New York come to mind, but if your bike is ridiculously loud (like fucking-Toce-stupid-loud, loud) or you get a cop on a bad day, you can be ticketed for your aftermarket exhaust. There’s always a large stamp on every aftermarket pipe that says “Not Legal For Road Use” and it’s there for a reason, not just looks.

It happens, trust me, I’ve seen it, heard it and experienced it. I had a SWEET sounding TBR Carbon high mount system for a very short time on my old Superhawk. Got pulled over just north of Madison, Wisconsin and got a fix-it ticket for something I paid about two months salary for at the time. Had to pull it, go back to stock and eventually sell it and got a used Staintune system which started me down the road of buying good quality, reasonable sounding, stock looking, aftermarket pipes.

And it’s only going to get worse as time goes on and more states start enforcing laws already on the books. Harley riders are getting ticketed more and more in the Midwest and these stupid sportbike riders who run open pipes are causing states to crack down.

I’m not saying don’t get a pipe, but saying don’t kid yourself into thinking it’s somehow legal because its not.

Last edited:

Thecult

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
I talked to a wholesaler Rep today about exhaust options.

The only option he could recommend at this point is the Akrapovic one.

According to him it could be upwards of 4+ months till we see other major name brands releasing exhaust for the 2018 CB650F. And recommended on leaving the exhaust alone for now until more stuff comes out. Unless shelling out 1500 cdn for a akra is what you want to do.

RHOSH

CBR650F ABS
Apr 26, 2018
I have the Two brothers yes it’s full system but two things it’s under and tucked away never been a problem re hitting and the big bonus of full system is you drop all the weight of original system it’s so heavy

Johnboy82

CBR650F
Dec 26, 2017
Bedfordshire
I spent hours looking at exhausts and after going through pages and pages off info I opted for the full race akrapovic pipe for my 2017 650f
like mentioned before it is expensive ( plus I paid to get mine fitted to insure I had some kind cover ) .
best money I have spent on the bike , I have kept the baffle in , plenty loud enough for my liking without being crazy loud ,
don't see the point of having a pipe that bursts your ears sitting at lights etc , that said when you open it up it sings !!!!

thats just my opinion anyway

DRyker

Amateur
Jun 17, 2017
Arkansas
That’s absolutely incorrect and can, and will, eventually get you a fix it ticket at the very least, if not an impound at the worst.

EVERY state has a law against tampering with the emissions system and your exhaust, catalytic converter and muffler is all part of that. Some states enforce it rigorously, California, Arizona and New York come to mind, but if your bike is ridiculously loud (like fucking-Toce-stupid-loud, loud) or you get a cop on a bad day, you can be ticketed for your aftermarket exhaust. There’s always a large stamp on every aftermarket pipe that says “Not Legal For Road Use” and it’s there for a reason, not just looks.

It happens, trust me, I’ve seen it, heard it and experienced it. I had a SWEET sounding TBR Carbon high mount system for a very short time on my old Superhawk. Got pulled over just north of Madison, Wisconsin and got a fix-it ticket for something I paid about two months salary for at the time. Had to pull it, go back to stock and eventually sell it and got a used Staintune system which started me down the road of buying good quality, reasonable sounding, stock looking, aftermarket pipes.

And it’s only going to get worse as time goes on and more states start enforcing laws already on the books. Harley riders are getting ticketed more and more in the Midwest and these stupid sportbike riders who run open pipes are causing states to crack down.

I’m not saying don’t get a pipe, but saying don’t kid yourself into thinking it’s somehow legal because its not.

Texas Transportation Code states the following:

"Sec. 547.604. MUFFLER REQUIRED. (

a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

(b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle."

However, "excessive noise" is not defined under Texas law and it is widely known that Texas has no decibel restriction. Unless you're running open headers or gut your exhaust, you aren't committing an offense as far as noise goes. The next section of the code does state, however:

"Sec. 547.605. EMISSION SYSTEMS REQUIRED. (a) The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be equipped and adjusted to prevent the escape of excessive smoke or fumes.

(b) A motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, shall be equipped to prevent the discharge of crankcase emissions into the ambient atmosphere.

(c) The owner or operator of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, that is equipped with an exhaust emission system:

(1) shall maintain the system in good working condition;

(2) shall use the system when the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated; and

(3) may not remove the system or a part of the system or intentionally make the system inoperable in this state, unless the owner or operator removes the system or part to install another system or part intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions.

(d) Except when travel conditions require the downshifting or use of lower gears to maintain reasonable momentum, a person commits an offense if the person operates, or as an owner knowingly permits another person to operate, a vehicle that emits:

(1) visible smoke for 10 seconds or longer; or

(2) visible smoke that remains suspended in the air for 10 seconds or longer before fully dissipating.

(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $1 and not more than $350 for each violation. If a person has previously been convicted of an offense under this section, an offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000 for each violation."

So while there is a law regarding emissions systems, there is no requirement to specifically prevent tampering with your exhaust system provided you are in compliance with subsection 3 of the preceding code. As far as what exhausts are in compliance and what exhausts are not, the wording says "intended to be just as effective." This does not specifically state that you must prove that the exhaust is in compliance. It simply must be intended to be effective in reducing emissions. Of course, if you are cited for a violation under this part of the code, burden of proof will most likely fall to you to prove you had sufficient reason to believe your specific system was intended to be equal to your stock system when it comes to reducing unnecessary emissions. You will not, however, be required to prove that the system IS equally as effective.

Some exhausts, I believe Akropovic is one of them, have the option of adding a catalytic converter which would put you in full compliance with every bit of Texas code related to the matter regardless of whether or not the system turns out to be equally as effective.

I know that not all exhausts have that option. The one that I purchased does not. However, that is not to say that those systems are in violation of the code. Your mileage may vary, but the odds will 99 percent of the time be very much in your favor if you are for some miraculous reason cited under either of these sections of code.

Keep in mind that this does not take into account any local ordinances that may apply to specific areas. Some areas, such as Dallas, do have more strict emissions requirements than the rest of the state. That said, many of these ordinances may or may not apply to motorcycles.

Edit: The maximum penalty for these sections of the code are a fine of $1 to a maximum of $350 or, if you have been convicted for a violation of this specific section before, a fine of $200 to $1,000. There is absolutely zero risk of impound regardless of how many times you break this specific law.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Texas Transportation Code states the following:

"Sec. 547.604. MUFFLER REQUIRED. (

a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

(b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle."

However, "excessive noise" is not defined under Texas law and it is widely known that Texas has no decibel restriction. Unless you're running open headers or gut your exhaust, you aren't committing an offense as far as noise goes. The next section of the code does state, however:

"Sec. 547.605. EMISSION SYSTEMS REQUIRED. (a) The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be equipped and adjusted to prevent the escape of excessive smoke or fumes.

(b) A motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, shall be equipped to prevent the discharge of crankcase emissions into the ambient atmosphere.

(c) The owner or operator of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, that is equipped with an exhaust emission system:

(1) shall maintain the system in good working condition;

(2) shall use the system when the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated; and

(3) may not remove the system or a part of the system or intentionally make the system inoperable in this state, unless the owner or operator removes the system or part to install another system or part intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions.

(d) Except when travel conditions require the downshifting or use of lower gears to maintain reasonable momentum, a person commits an offense if the person operates, or as an owner knowingly permits another person to operate, a vehicle that emits:

(1) visible smoke for 10 seconds or longer; or

(2) visible smoke that remains suspended in the air for 10 seconds or longer before fully dissipating.

(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $1 and not more than $350 for each violation. If a person has previously been convicted of an offense under this section, an offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000 for each violation."

So while there is a law regarding emissions systems, there is no requirement to specifically prevent tampering with your exhaust system provided you are in compliance with subsection 3 of the preceding code. As far as what exhausts are in compliance and what exhausts are not, the wording says "intended to be just as effective." This does not specifically state that you must prove that the exhaust is in compliance. It simply must be intended to be effective in reducing emissions. Of course, if you are cited for a violation under this part of the code, burden of proof will most likely fall to you to prove you had sufficient reason to believe your specific system was intended to be equal to your stock system when it comes to reducing unnecessary emissions. You will not, however, be required to prove that the system IS equally as effective.

Some exhausts, I believe Akropovic is one of them, have the option of adding a catalytic converter which would put you in full compliance with every bit of Texas code related to the matter regardless of whether or not the system turns out to be equally as effective.

I know that not all exhausts have that option. The one that I purchased does not. However, that is not to say that those systems are in violation of the code. Your mileage may vary, but the odds will 99 percent of the time be very much in your favor if you are for some miraculous reason cited under either of these sections of code.

Keep in mind that this does not take into account any local ordinances that may apply to specific areas. Some areas, such as Dallas, do have more strict emissions requirements than the rest of the state. That said, many of these ordinances may or may not apply to motorcycles.

Edit: The maximum penalty for these sections of the code are a fine of $1 to a maximum of $350 or, if you have been convicted for a violation of this specific section before, a fine of $200 to $1,000. There is absolutely zero risk of impound regardless of how many times you break this specific law.
Great research, glad you looked into it, must don’t. Why are you quoting Texas laws when your profile says Arkansas?

Two things specifically on what you linked:

- Section 3 is exactly my point, you are removing the exhaust system which contains a factory catalytic converter, you’re removing it thus tampering with the emissions system and are therefore rendering your emissions system uncompliant with the law you quoted. Yes, Akra is the only one making an aftermarket pipe for the 650 that’s possible to have cat installed. Also note: if you bypass the O2 sensor, you’re modifying the emissions, as does a PCV.

- If your cycle is considered “unsafe for the road” or not in compliance with emissions systems for instance, it can be impounded until modifications are made to make it compliant. That can and does happen, even in Texas.

Two things I’ll also add:

- Define “excessive noise” as stated above? I think it’s a loud ass Toce pipe , my neighbor hates my to me quiet TOR pipes on my Thruxton but there’s a lady at work who rides a straight piped 650 V-Star who thinks her pipes are fine but are crazy ass loud. You know why it’s vague and doesn’t specify a dB number? Because its open to interpretation, get a cop on a bad day that doesn’t like motorcycles and plenty of laws can be twisted. You may win in court but you may not if the judge lives in a route with lots of bikes running up and town the block. An angry neighbor calling the cops every morning as you start your bike could be considered “excessive” noise as an example.

- Any aftermarket exhaust is specifically stamped “not legal for road use” and therefore illegal no matter what you think your pipe meets as far as regulations.

Again, get the pipe you want, make as much noise as you want, but know ANY aftermarket pipe or modified factory pipe is, in fact, illegal and CAN get you in trouble with the law. And the louder it is, the more likely you are to get noticed. Just FYI, I have an Akra on my 650, I’m not against pipes, I’m for people knowing the laws before they make a costly mistake.

I’ve said my peace on cheap exhausts and loudness issues so I’m done with this last post on the subject. If being louder for this summer is worth you throwing away your money at a cheap pipe that will most likely hurt performance and not help, more power to you pun intended). I’ve been there, done that, been through this stuff and would like to help others not waste time, money and effort where I can. Whether you listen or not is up to you.

Last edited:

Dr Molotov

CBR650F ABS
Mar 27, 2018
Anyone actually heard what the yoshimura r77 sounds like on the bike in the flesh? Any idea how it compares to the akra? On youtube it sounds better to be. Looking to buy one or the other at some point, but leaning towards the yoshi.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Why does most on this site compare every exhaust to the akra? It's not the only top of the range exhaust out
there.I have a akra on my cbr250r and it is just ok very noisy even with the baffle in.But my cbr650f has a full
carbon Termignoni exhaust and it has a deep smooth sound that doesn't need a pc-v and you can feel the
extra power.

Thecult

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
For one it’s the only good quality exhaust you can get for the CB650F

Also it’s a solid standard to hold other exhausts too. You know what you will get with a akra. And they design it well for every model/year. So you don’t need a PC-V with it either.

My bike doesn’t have a PC-V and I can say when I road my bike after putting the akra on I thought someone swapped my bike in the night. It made a very noticeable difference.

There may be better exhausts for certain bikes. But with akra you can at least guarantee it will be good no matter the bike you install it on.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Food for thought! After riding with a new akra on my cbr250r for 5 years and not being happy with the sound coming out the
exhaust why would i buy another one. So buying the termignoni for the 650 was a no brainer but more costly than the akra.
at least here in thailand. Again it's always up to you and if you have a budget.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Food for thought! After riding with a new akra on my cbr250r for 5 years and not being happy with the sound coming out the
exhaust why would i buy another one. So buying the termignoni for the 650 was a no brainer but more costly than the akra.
at least here in thailand. Again it's always up to you and if you have a budget.

If your 250’s Akra is noisy with the baffle in and only OK, my thought is you may have a knock off because those are EVERYWHERE, especially in Thailand, and once you see one, install one and use one, you know.

Termi is a nice bit of kit but I’ve not seen them be any better than Akra and actually a friend with a 996 had a bunch of issues with his full race Termi. To each their own, it’s not just us who consider them the industry standard.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
You know that was my first thought when i put it on.But not the case the knock off's are cheap and i got mine
through the akra dealer here and paid full price. I am still running my 650 termignoni with baffle out ,great sound!
and it is less noisy than my 250 akra. baffle in.

Thecult

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Even with my baffle out and it’s a full akra pipe it’s not insanely loud.

My friend with a full Leo Vince is much much louder.

Be fun to try a bunch of the same bikes just with different exhausts to hear and feel the changes.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
You know that was my first thought when i put it on.But not the case the knock off's are cheap and i got mine
through the akra dealer here and paid full price. I am still running my 650 termignoni with baffle out ,great sound!
and it is less noisy than my 250 akra. baffle in.

I suspect that your dealer pulled something on you or didn’t even know they bought a knock off because this:

Even with my baffle out and it’s a full akra pipe it’s not insanely loud.

My friend with a full Leo Vince is much much louder.

is what an Akra should be like and every “real” Akra I’ve seen and purchased is like this. If you read every review, look at every video, read their website, whatever, wherever, everything about them is about “reasonable” volume even with the baffle out and a high quality product. Maybe it’s an install problem?

I'd find someone else with one to compare. Or try another dealers opinion. Or contact Akra directly, they’d love to know if one of their dealers is shady.

Last edited:
Top Bottom