• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs 2014-2023 CBR650R & CB650R Exhausts

feng9

CB650R
May 11, 2021
Riding Since
I'm thinking of getting my CB650R tuned with a PCV.

It's got the Akrapovic DB killer in now (being installed today lol), and I'm not sure if I would be able to manage having the DB killer out.

However if I ever decided to get the DB killer removed after having the tune done, would that make the bike run leaner (bad right?)?

It's information overload for a modding newbie like me haha. Been riding for years, just never modded until recently.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I'm thinking of getting my CB650R tuned with a PCV.

It's got the Akrapovic DB killer in now (being installed today lol), and I'm not sure if I would be able to manage having the DB killer out.

However if I ever decided to get the DB killer removed after having the tune done, would that make the bike run leaner (bad right?)?

It's information overload for a modding newbie like me haha. Been riding for years, just never modded until recently.
It’s not a for-sure thing one way or the other for how the bike will be tuned with the DB killer in vs. having it out. Usually, however, it will be a richer map with it out than with it in. If it were my bike (well I’d just leave the DB killer but that’s besides the point) I’d have it tuned to the way I’ll be riding it most often and deal with it not being right the other way.

You can run a 4 stroke motor lean for a long, long time and not do any damage to it other than it running hotter than normal. In fact it’s very hard, but not impossible, to damage one running lean fuel wise; a major air leak is a different story. But I wouldn’t worry about a not optimal PCV tune if it’s done right.

Talk to the shop and get their take. If they know what they are doing this should be an easy question for them.

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
How would you guys go about making this DB killer less effective? It's the one in the Arrow system. I've bought a spare to experiment with. Would simply drilling more holes suffice?
The reason I'm asking is that without DB killer the sound is a bit too much and with the DB killer inserted it's way too silent (can't really hear the engine past 100km/h, it's all wind noise at that point).
Tips or tricks? Thanks.
I would cut it shorter - 20% of the original size each time. However is hard to roll back. with holes, you can always glue them (JB Weld metal glue).

Cb650R-ABS

CB650R ABS
Aug 28, 2020
Riding Since
Hi guys, I’m looking at ordering the S-H6R12-HAFT which is advertised as for the CB650F years 2014/15 where i’m looking. Will this fit the 2019 CB650R? My research tells me yes but the fact it’s specified those years for the F model is making me think there’s been a change since then. Much appreciate any help, thanks in advance!

Jensen194

CB650R ABS
Aug 16, 2021
Riding Since
Hi guys, I’m looking at ordering the S-H6R12-HAFT which is advertised as for the CB650F years 2014/15 where i’m looking. Will this fit the 2019 CB650R? My research tells me yes but the fact it’s specified those years for the F model is making me think there’s been a change since then. Much appreciate any help, thanks in advance!
Hi there,

That will fit perfectly fine.
I just bought mine for the cb650r.

C99BDF96-81BB-4034-8384-7C10FF06F139.jpegAkrapovic Racing Line Steel&Titanium CB 650F 14/CBR 650F 14 Homologated Ref: S-H6R12-HAFT Full Line System Silver One Size

I bought it from a webshop in Spain by the way and was delivered at my house in the Netherlands for 920eu.

The sound without db killer is tremendous.

Jens

Cb650R-ABS

CB650R ABS
Aug 28, 2020
Riding Since
Thanks for confirming, IMO it's the best looking/sounding akra for this bike by a mile 🤩 Now need to find out if I'll have to pay duty when ordering from Europe, as the best price seems to be from a retailer in Italy. Fingers crossed nothing too bad.
Jack

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Just received my Akra exhaust and I'm honestly pretty disappointed at the finish. Is it normal to be so burnt up at the welds and to still have the pipe manufacturers printing on the pipes? It's hard to see in the pictures, but its also pretty scratched up. I've had custom exhaust on all my bikes but never had anything that I thought was questionable like what Akra delivered.

Attachments

• 20210818_071821.jpg
    20210818_071821.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 75
  • 20210818_071848.jpg
    20210818_071848.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 76
  • 20210818_071924.jpg
    20210818_071924.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 76
  • 20210818_071928.jpg
    20210818_071928.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 77

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Just received my Akra exhaust and I'm honestly pretty disappointed at the finish. Is it normal to be so burnt up at the welds and to still have the pipe manufacturers printing on the pipes? It's hard to see in the pictures, but its also pretty scratched up. I've had custom exhaust on all my bikes but never had anything that I thought was questionable like what Akra delivered.
Who did you buy it through? The spring welds look fairly normal to me, it’s stainless steel so apprears to be typical markings for TIG welds in my experience but the dings and tubing markings are not something normally associated with Akra‘s I’ve bought, seen and installed in the past.

It may be a COVID thing but it looks like that one missed the quality control department or final stage cleanup. Could be a knockoff or second; the pipe looks almost used to me.

I’d contact who you bought it through and see if they can send another. I’d also send the pics to Akra to get their take.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I bought it through Revzilla so a reputable seller. I thought the exact same that it missed the final stages. It looks completely unfinished and is actually worse in person. I'll see what Akra has to say about it.

Thanks for the second opinion! I was worried I was being too critical, but it just doesn't look like a $1000 USD exhaust.

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
I bought it through Revzilla so a reputable seller. I thought the exact same that it missed the final stages. It looks completely unfinished and is actually worse in person. I'll see what Akra has to say about it.

Thanks for the second opinion! I was worried I was being too critical, but it just doesn't look like a $1000 USD exhaust.
Not to doubt Revzillas reputation, however I'm pretty sure they have sold me knockoff parts, perhaps even unknowingly. I bought a RST gold visor for my HJC helmet, and the one that came was gold but with a red/pink color flip when you view it from certain angles. HJC's RST gold has no color flip to it, and they don't even make the RST red (which is closest to what I got) for my helmet.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
This would be a very convincing knock off. I zoomed in on one of the other pictures in this forum and it looks like my issues may be the new norm for Akra. Sadly I had high expectations considering their reputation, but it looks like an unfinished project in person. Nothing like the advertised pictures on Akra's website or anywhere else. So disappointing. I'll see if Akra responds, but honestly I'm not holding my breath.

I wish we had better options for this bike. I loved my Yoshimura systems on other bikes, but I'm not a fan of the version they're selling for the CB/CBR650.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
This would be a very convincing knock off. I zoomed in on one of the other pictures in this forum and it looks like my issues may be the new norm for Akra. Sadly I had high expectations considering their reputation, but it looks like an unfinished project in person. Nothing like the advertised pictures on Akra's website or anywhere else. So disappointing. I'll see if Akra responds, but honestly I'm not holding my breath.

I wish we had better options for this bike. I loved my Yoshimura systems on other bikes, but I'm not a fan of the version they're selling for the CB/CBR650.
I'd talk to RevZilla first, see what they say. Good things are the tubing markings will come off with the cleanup they recommend and the vast majority of the issues you should will be hidden because it's going on a CBR. Doesn't change the fact it's not right but if you can get some money back.......

Last edited:

volkein

CB650F ABS
Jan 28, 2020
I do agree with Mike but even if it's not hidden you shouldn't worry about it if you commute or even if you d'ont ride a lot, because there will be marks of rocks, oil, tire rubber, mud or whatever the road throw at you.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Agreed. I'm probably being over critical, but just shocked that at $1000 a consumer would need to do the final clean up. I guess I'm just spoiled by how flawless the Honda factory headers were and honestly I'm not sure I'm willing to swap them out for something that in my opinion looks inferior. All images of the Akra online indicated that their models would be equal to if not better aesthetically than our stock exhaust. Obviously not the case with what I received.

I wish Yoshimura would make a low mount system. Their systems are gorgeous all around. The one I have on my SV650 is over a decade old and still looks amazing.

JH09

CB650R ABS
Jul 29, 2020
Riding Since
dang that sucks you are left disappointed with such a high-dollar item. please keep us informed of what happens. i would also contact revzilla first, they have been pretty good to deal with in my experience. good thing it is not some ebay seller...

maybe the sound will make you forget all of this? 👌

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I want so badly to get to the sound point! But I just can't push myself to install something that is going to detract from the visual appeal of the bike. The waterfall headers are a huge reason I purchased the bike. From 5-7ft away I'm sure the Akra will look ok, but up close its just totally unappealing.

Dontpush

CB650R ABS
Mar 8, 2020
Riding Since
I want so badly to get to the sound point! But I just can't push myself to install something that is going to detract from the visual appeal of the bike. The waterfall headers are a huge reason I purchased the bike. From 5-7ft away I'm sure the Akra will look ok, but up close its just totally unappealing.
The welds look pretty normal. Have you tried cleaning it yet and did it help? In a few weeks of riding it's going to be discolored, dirty, and maybe have a few knicks from rocks in it anyway. Mine came mint condition from RevZilla and after a few weeks it looked like this. I've cleaned it a couple times but it discolors unevenly anyway so it'll never look pristine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210818-192451.png
    Screenshot_20210818-192451.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 50

trippy

CB650R ABS
May 2, 2021
Riding Since
[...] Sadly I had high expectations considering their reputation, but it looks like an unfinished project in person. Nothing like the advertised pictures on Akra's website or anywhere else.[...]

The problem you are facing is that the looks of the pipe don't match the expectations you created based on advertised pictures.

The akra aftermarket exhaust is considered a performance part: lightweight and with better flow. The headers for cb650 do not have the shine (chrome like feeling) of stock ones. No aftermarket one, of any reputable company that I know of, does actually, with akrapovic being on the lower part of... shine.

In time it will anyways change color. Mine looks a bit bronze(ish) when cold and a bit purple(ish) when hot.
If looks is your main focus you might as well return the one you bought, keep the stock headers and get a slipon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210819-082253.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-082253.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
I actually like the somewhat rough finished look of the akra header pipes in comparison to the stock exhaust with a chrome finish no welds look, (also very beautiful). But that’s personal taste. By the way, my akra was in good condition when I bought it (no lettering on the pipes or ugly scratches, just the somewhat rough/industrial/race finish.

A0A0EE44-FDEE-4CA8-ACF6-1D1C9BD65DB6.png

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
The problem you are facing is that the looks of the pipe don't match the expectations you created based on advertised pictures.

The akra aftermarket exhaust is considered a performance part: lightweight and with better flow. The headers for cb650 do not have the shine (chrome like feeling) of stock ones. No aftermarket one, of any reputable company that I know of, does actually, with akrapovic being on the lower part of... shine.

In time it will anyways change color. Mine looks a bit bronze(ish) when cold and a bit purple(ish) when hot.
If looks is your main focus you might as well return the one you bought, keep the stock headers and get a slipon.
I didn't create the expectation. That was created by the advertising. No where does any image or description show anything like what I received. I completely understand that the image is a golden / fluffed up sample, but this is a something completely different. This is an example of a company's quality department completely falling apart and stamping a product with a "meh... that'll have do" stamp of approval. Again, I've never had any level of disappointment from my other exhausts and that says a lot considering the vast range of products I've had on my cars and bikes over the years. Everything from Chinese ebay exhausts, to Yoshimura, Gibson and even Flowmaster from my cars. All have been manufactured with a level of quality that is missing from this Akra.

Top Bottom