• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Will adjusting the shock pre-load change the ride height?

HarareDave

CB650F
Dec 3, 2021
Riding Since
I have read all the forum threads on lowering kits and shock pre-load but still looking for this answer.

I am a height challenged rider who would do anything to get just a half inch lower seat height so I can flat foot at a stop. The bike came with the shock set a five and just wondering if setting it to one will do this. I'm not really a sport rider so not concerned how it will affect the handling on turn 8 at Laguna Seca.

The reason I haven't just changed it to see for myself is the bike didn't come with a the tool.

Cheers,

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
It won't change the height, but you can check for yourself using a pair of channel locks and a towel over to prevent scraping. It rotates surprisingly easy.

OneyedK

CB650R ABS
Jun 19, 2021
Riding Since
Sorry for the late reply...

Setting shock preload is actually setting sag, so yes, it alters the ride height.
In my case, 105kg, CB650R '21, the difference in ride height between a sag of 50% and 35% is about 19mm.
I wouldn't set sag over 50%, a shock bottoming out at the wrong moment wil give you an oh-shit-moment at best...

Top Bottom