• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

UK - CB650R - BlackWidow low level exhaust legality concerns

pakyrs

CB650R ABS
Jan 28, 2024
Oxfordshire
Riding Since
Hi all!

I'd like to fit my bike with a low level BlackWidow short can (200mm), I have had a call with them to understand the legality of it all and since it's my first bike in the country I don't really know what the MOT test for it looks like.

The company said that their silencers don't BSAU, EU or TUV Type Approval and a short 200mm can is extremely loud even with an additional DB Killer sold separately.

Has anyone got this exhaust? or familiarity / suggestions for 3rd party exhaust in the UK?

Cheers

P

Brian C.

CBR650R ABS
Nov 26, 2021
Northwich
Riding Since
The official info is about as useful as a chocolate Frying Pan but it says:

8.1.1. Exhaust noise​

If possible, you should assess the exhaust noise by revving the engine to approximately half the maximum engine speed. The engine should be warm before you carry out this check.

It is not possible to rev the engine on twist and go type motorcycles.

The exhaust system and silencer should be in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the motorcycle is not clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition.

I have a bit of an aversion to noisy exhausts, so if you're asking far advice mine is don't! Plus from your own description it does not pass the above test.
But if you really want it, hang on to the Stock so you have the option to switch back, maybe?

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
I only fit exhausts that meet EU regs and come with a certificate and don't need a remap. They are all stated to be road legal, with the baffles fitted, not so without. So much is down to the individual MOT tester's opinion. These days with noise cameras being introduced I wouldn't risk anything that is not legal. As for my CBR I've kept the standard one. With the deliberately angled-up exit it's loud enough for me anyway. Straight through exhausts on inline fours are what really annoy people (me included). Insurance is going up significantly and a few won't touch bikes with non-legal exhausts, leaving the policy holder uninsured if this modification isn't disclosed. Even race bikes have to meet strict noise limits. Up to you.

pakyrs

CB650R ABS
Jan 28, 2024
Oxfordshire
Riding Since
Thanks, I did phone BlackWidow and I asked about a few aspects of it all, they obviously confirmed it's not road legal and the 200mm cans are super laud. Nevertheless I bought one! I will apply the second addutional baffle and perhaps change the primary baffle with a longer one from ebay. I'll investigate and report. I would have loved it to be having some eu stamps, but you can't beat the price (£360) and the look of these gp short cans. a full exhaust from other brands is a quarter of the bike price! I don't think insurance and MOT is the biggest concern, what was worrying me more is emissions a decat exhaust in my head fails, but they are all decat.

MotoDonner

CB650R ABS
Feb 10, 2021
Riding Since
The official info is about as useful as a chocolate Frying Pan but it says:

8.1.1. Exhaust noise​

If possible, you should assess the exhaust noise by revving the engine to approximately half the maximum engine speed. The engine should be warm before you carry out this check.

It is not possible to rev the engine on twist and go type motorcycles.

The exhaust system and silencer should be in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the motorcycle is not clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition.

I have a bit of an aversion to noisy exhausts, so if you're asking far advice mine is don't! Plus from your own description it does not pass the above test.
But if you really want it, hang on to the Stock so you have the option to switch back, maybe?
haha that description is hilarious :D

Top Bottom