• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F Slipper clutch

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
So one else will tell me that what do you suggest I do or what do you think the other issue could be..someone said a front sprocket could have fallen off but that's not what it was and I adjusted the cables to be bare minimum..and it moves but barely
What does that mean "adjusted the cables to bare minimum"?

What could it be, I don't know unless I look at it, see it for myself and hear what is going on. I'm just saying it's pretty hard to fry a clutch with 4 or 5 drag starts unless you have never done it before and just slipped the crap out of it in which case no amount of adjusting will get it back.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Agree with miweber929 @miweber929. It would take a lot of abuse to completely fry it in that few launches.

I'm leaning towards it was burnt to the point of slipping and then improperly adjusted. Hopefully that's all as it'll be a lot cheaper than replacing!

RoadRunnerRant

CBR650R
Apr 26, 2021
Riding Since
Agree with miweber929 @miweber929. It would take a lot of abuse to completely fry it in that few launches.

I'm leaning towards it was burnt to the point of slipping and then improperly adjusted. Hopefully that's all as it'll be a lot cheaper than replacing!
I hope so cause clutch plates are 1,400 from honda and I haven't seen any aftermarket clutch kits for the 650r...any suggestions ?

szyowe112

CB650F ABS
Mar 2, 2020
try look at EB Racing or Amazon Performance , I saw the clutch plate are around 40 bucks or so
I have never changed one, but I don't think they cost 1400

C(B)hris

CB650R ABS
Aug 17, 2020
Denmark
Riding Since
I dont know anything about the reason of your problems. But, on this side of the pond, yes the hole clutch could be around 1400, but a plate kit would cost way less than 100.
Find a local mc mech you trust, ask around, and have him drain the oil and pull the clutch cover off and have a look. That will only cost you a gasket and a bit if oil to start with.

Good luck and keep us posted..

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Here's a clip

The fact that it’s a slipper clutch could be causing this without a cable putting the arm in the right place. The cable will never be long enough to slip into the lever and the actuating arm, even at full loose so you have to either disconnect it at the lever or push the arm forward to put the cable back on.

You need to get the bike to someone who knows newer Honda’s and is familiar with their clutch system. If the bike was in front of me I’d try a bunch of things but without that I’m guessing. How did you get the cable out in the first place?

I looked up the parts fiche and yeah, Honda has the clutch pack setup for $1,400. I’d be talking to a dealer about that, something doesn’t make sense because that’s 4x what it should be.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
If its moving the clutch is good. You just need to get the cable back on the actuator. I'm at a loss for how it came off in the first place, but getting it back on shouldn't be a big deal.

RoadRunnerRant

CBR650R
Apr 26, 2021
Riding Since
If its moving the clutch is good. You just need to get the cable back on the actuator. I'm at a loss for how it came off in the first place, but getting it back on shouldn't be a big deal.
I took it off that's the only way I could get it to move it I put the cable on it just revs in any gear...no resistance

RoadRunnerRant

CBR650R
Apr 26, 2021
Riding Since
The fact that it’s a slipper clutch could be causing this without a cable putting the arm in the right place. The cable will never be long enough to slip into the lever and the actuating arm, even at full loose so you have to either disconnect it at the lever or push the arm forward to put the cable back on.

You need to get the bike to someone who knows newer Honda’s and is familiar with their clutch system. If the bike was in front of me I’d try a bunch of things but without that I’m guessing. How did you get the cable out in the first place?

I looked up the parts fiche and yeah, Honda has the clutch pack setup for $1,400. I’d be talking to a dealer about that, something doesn’t make sense because that’s 4x what it should be.
I took it off that's the only way I could get it to move it I put the cable on it just revs in any gear...no resistance..and the cheapest I found in America was 998 for the clutch plates but its 105 in Japan and the uk..for the same part number...I dont understand why lol..gotta love america

szyowe112

CB650F ABS
Mar 2, 2020
Here's a clip

this is so strange.
usually, you want to start the bike in-gear, you have to pull the clutch cable in

may be you want to take off the clutch plate, see each plates are in good shape, and reinstall it by yourself, google it.

I am thinking what causes the problem is something big:android:

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Again, if your bike is moving with the clutch cable removed the clutch is good. It is transferring power as designed to the transmission. The problem is that when you attach the cable the clutch is disengaged even when the clutch hand-lever is released. I would start by adjusting the tension at the hand lever all the way back to zero and attaching the cable. Then adjust as needed to get the correct free play and clutch engagement.

Hagen

CBR650R ABS
Apr 11, 2021
Riding Since
Again, if your bike is moving with the clutch cable removed the clutch is good. It is transferring power as designed to the transmission. The problem is that when you attach the cable the clutch is disengaged even when the clutch hand-lever is released. I would start by adjusting the tension at the hand lever all the way back to zero and attaching the cable. Then adjust as needed to get the correct free play and clutch engagement.
Why should the clutch be good when he can give it full throttle and won't pass 20kph?

Maybe thats a slipper clutch thing as stated before (dont know about that) but either way, it should grip and not just about transmit power.

Also @op have you maybe changed non Jaso certified engine oil? Motorcycle wet clutches need special engine oil to grip, otherwise they will slip. This probably wont fix your clutch but prevent the next from breaking.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Why should the clutch be good when he can give it full throttle and won't pass 20kph?
His problem is that the adjustment is causing the clutch to be partially disengaged when the clutch lever is not pressed. It's basically slipping the clutch at all times. Step one is to return the cable adjustment back to zero and trouble shoot from there.

I'm assuming the OP figured this out as he appears to be long gone.

Top Bottom