• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Gear Shoei GT AIr II visor lock problem

quigonquinn

CBR650R
Feb 17, 2020
So, I've developed a strange issue. For some reason, pushing down on the visor to lock it into place, isn't working easily. The visor moves up and down seamlessly, until the very last bit, where it pops into the lock on the left of the chin bar, to make a tight seal. I can close it by pushing down on the whole front of the visor, but that pulls on the whole helmet and my head. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas what it could be? Didn't have this problem at the beginning of my ownership of the helmet, it just started happening

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I have one too, no issue. Make sure the shield is correctly locked in the slots. The Shoei design is overcomplicated in my opinion and doesn’t always seat when you install it.

quigonquinn

CBR650R
Feb 17, 2020
it is so over complicated. I havent taken it off since I got the helmet. And since it was working, I didnt think of that. I'll try taking off and putting it back.

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
Same helmet, same issue, took visor off once and haven’t got it quite right. Works okay when stopped but if I have any wind resistance it’s a push to close properly.

quigonquinn

CBR650R
Feb 17, 2020
tried taking the visor off and back on. no help.

Couldn't figure out what to call each piece I'm talking about, so included a diagram!

Looked at it more closely. It is definitely a design flaw. The bit (#1) for closing the visor is angled such that pulling down on it, ends up push the visor inward, which is counter to the visor needing to move outward a bit to get over the locking bit (#2) on the chin bar. Also, both of the bits on the inside of the visor (#3) and the top one on the chin bar (#2) are both too big. Even pushing straight down on the center of the visor, it is still very difficult for the visor to deform enough to lock into place.

Attachments

• Inked041919-Shoei-GT-Air-II-First_Position_Shield_Opening_LI.jpg
    Inked041919-Shoei-GT-Air-II-First_Position_Shield_Opening_LI.jpg
    794.7 KB · Views: 27

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
present the issue right to the source ........................https://www.shoei-helmets.com/service-support/

quigonquinn

CBR650R
Feb 17, 2020
here goes the rollercoaster:

Note, only gonna argue with the poor customer service rep so much. Seems I can't fight it, and will have to shell out to have it shipped to Shoei to fix...

Hi,

I bought a GT-Air II in July. After first buying it, everything was working fine. I have only ridden about 500 miles in that time. But, over the last 2 weeks or so, I have had a problem with the visor lock.

I move the visor to the 2nd to last closed position. Then push on the tab to lock the visor closed. It does not move into the locked position. The only way to completely close it, is to push from the top center of the visor.

The manual offers adjustment options for the visor, adjusting the base plate on either side. I have adjusted it as far as it will go in any direction, none of which solves the problem.

I have asked around, and am not the only one who is having this problem. I am hoping we can work together to fix this.

-----

<[email protected]>
Thank you for contacting Shoei helmets. Sorry to hear about your issue. Unfortunately you can't really adjust this shield by hand and once you loosen the base plate screws the shield it will not be centered and this is why your shield lock is now very difficult to operate. The best solution is to send the helmet in so we can put a template on it and realign the shield mechanism. As a side note it is common that when people push on the shield tab they tend to push off to the right a little which causes the shield to ride too high on the lock and this will also make it tougher to close.

Shoei offers a free inspection service on any Shoei helmet. This includes crash, impact and general inspections. You may submit your helmet to Shoei for a free inspection by shipping it to:

SHOEI SAFETY HELMET CORP.
ATTN: INSPECTIONS
3002 DOW AVENUE
SUITE 128
TUSTIN, CA 92780

Along with the helmet we will need a note with your name, return physical address, daytime phone number and the nature of the incident (including type of bike, speed problem occurs and any other pertinent info). We cannot ship your helmet back to PO boxes, FPO, APO etc.

Once we have received your helmet there will be an inspection performed on the exterior fiber composite shell and the interior polystyrene to see what condition the helmet is in. It may take up to three business days to inspect a helmet after which it will then be returned to you via UPS ground along with paperwork detailing the findings of the inspection.
Don Bailey
----

Hi,

To clarify. I was having this problem before I tried adjusting it. So this problem was in place directly from the factory. I only attempted to fix it myself because of the directions I found in the owner's manual.

I have attempted closing the visor from all angles of the tab, and it does not work.

How do I go about getting the helmet sent to you? Will you be sending me a prepaid shipping label and box?

Thank you

------

Hi,
You will need to send the helmet to us by the shipper of your choice and we will get it back to you by UPS ground so please make sure to include a physical return address.

-----

Hi,

Since this is a factory defect on the helmet, this should be considered a warranty return. Why would I need to pay for a return that should be covered under warranty?

Thank you

-----

his is the process that Japan has set up and it would be the same for a distributor that sells 100,000 helmets a year or an end user regardless of what the issue might be, repair, warranty, impact inspection etc. We are always happy to take a look at something for you but it will need to be done within our company guidelines.

Last edited:

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Why don't you take your helmet down to a Cycle Gear and have them give it a once-over. I want to say that Cycle Gear sells more helmets than any other product so I'm sure even the young employees may be familiar with this issue.

Gixerste

CB650F ABS
Sep 3, 2020
Riding Since
Did you get your helmet sorted .. I've just bought a GT Air 2 and after fitting the Pin Lock had the same issue as you, I took it in to Sportsbike Shop were I bought it from and 10 minuets and a slight adjustment later it was perfect again. The mechanism that the visor fits into can be adjusted.

Reactions: Ive

quigonquinn

CBR650R
Feb 17, 2020
I actually ended up wearing it without problem lately. So, not exactly sure why. Possibly the change in temperature making it slightly fit together differently. But, we shall see when summer comes back around...

CBJojo650RRR

CBR650R ABS
Apr 26, 2020
Riding Since
You need to reset the base plates to it's original neutral position. Same thing happened to me. All I did was read the manual on how to reset it. After that the visor locks again. Be careful when unfastening and fasten the screws. It's super easy to strip.

nikitsobaka

CB650R ABS
May 29, 2020
Riding Since
Hi! I've also owned air2. All that you need to do is move the hinges baseplate more may be backward (it depends on your hinges position right now)

CBJojo650RRR was right in the post above.

Ian Warren

CBR650R ABS
Mar 12, 2022
United Kingdom
Riding Since
So, I've developed a strange issue. For some reason, pushing down on the visor to lock it into place, isn't working easily. The visor moves up and down seamlessly, until the very last bit, where it pops into the lock on the left of the chin bar, to make a tight seal. I can close it by pushing down on the whole front of the visor, but that pulls on the whole helmet and my head. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas what it could be? Didn't have this problem at the beginning of my ownership of the helmet, it just started happening
Had the same problem with my new Shoei X-Spirit 3.
Having removed the visor to fit the Pinlock EVO it wouldn’t push down to close and I had to pull down on the top of the visor and it was too tight.
Problem is that when you re engage the visor the lug moulded into the visor often sits on top of and doesn’t engage with the sprung ratchet mechanism!
Raise the visor all the way up.
Some light pressure on top of the lug over the ratchet makes it drop into place in front of the sting ratchet mechanism and then works perfectly.
Do one side of the visor then the other rather than trying to do then both at once.
See the pics below for what your looking for.
First pic highlights the lug on the visor and the ridged ratchet mechanism with the visor up.
The send shows how the lug needs to be in front of the spring ratchet to work smoothly. Before I pressed it in to make it engage it was on top of the ratchet not in front of it.

Any questions please feel free!

I can probably reproduce the issue and video the solution if required.

Cheers
Ian

Attachments

• 023018E5-0BF7-4369-933F-C0FCF7689C73.jpeg
    023018E5-0BF7-4369-933F-C0FCF7689C73.jpeg
    627.7 KB · Views: 9
  • A533E0A0-6A6D-4488-AA92-855767FDC378.jpeg
    A533E0A0-6A6D-4488-AA92-855767FDC378.jpeg
    624.6 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom