• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Review: touring tyres

iR72

650 Alumnus
Mar 15, 2015
Sevenoaks, England
Cannot fault the Metzlers I have had them on my green bike for two years first the Z8 interacts then replaced with the Roadtec 01..All weather all winter UK riding these thinks are awesome.
I will be considering the Sportec M7RR for the CBR

aaronlukemarshall

CB650F ABS
Honorable Discharge
650 Alumnus
Nov 22, 2015
United Kingdom
Cannot fault the Metzlers I have had them on my green bike for two years first the Z8 interacts then replaced with the Roadtec 01..All weather all winter UK riding these thinks are awesome.
I will be considering the Sportec M7RR for the CBR

The M7RR's are very good!!

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
Currently running my second set of Pilot Road 4 (soon coming to an end - about 1k to go I guess). Pretty happy with them.
I never rode with them in the rain and hopefully never will but I bought them because they last long (about 8-9.000 km / 4970-5590 miles for me). Because of the different compounds they still got good grip on the edge of the tire.
But I already decided to go for something different this time simply because I don´t ride in the rain.
Was looking at the Angel GT. Let´s see how this turns out.
Nice video but how the hell do they get 20.000km out of one tire???

Rob

Amateur
Apr 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've put 12,000 miles on my PR4 and they are starting to square a little bit now.

Summer is coming so I should be able to lean it over more now Winter is behind us!

I would sau they easily have another 12,000 miles left in them.

I managed 10k on the standard dunlops before a puncture was too close to a previous puncture to repair, and they still had a good 5,000 miles left in them.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
I've put 12,000 miles on my PR4 and they are starting to square a little bit now.

Summer is coming so I should be able to lean it over more now Winter is behind us!

I would sau they easily have another 12,000 miles left in them.

I managed 10k on the standard dunlops before a puncture was too close to a previous puncture to repair, and they still had a good 5,000 miles left in them.
Teach me master, what´s your secret? :wideyed:

Rob

Amateur
Apr 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I only commute and have never been out for a fun ride....yet!

So commute from Essex to London in traffic and you will get 58.5mpg and long tyre life. Lol

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
I only commute and have never been out for a fun ride....yet!

So commute from Essex to London in traffic and you will get 58.5mpg and long tyre life. Lol

Alright. I never rode because of anything but fun. That will probably explain it.
58.5 mpg.....oh boy
Really curious to see how much fuel I´ll use once my bike is unrestricted.
Got a bad prevision already :angelic:

Rob

Amateur
Apr 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Alright. I never rode because of anything but fun. That will probably explain it.
58.5 mpg.....oh boy
Really curious to see how much fuel I´ll use once my bike is unrestricted.
Got a bad prevision already :angelic:

I don't hang about, the bike just seems good on fuel. I still manage to cover 45 miles in rush hour in anywhere from 45 mins to an hour depending on traffic. The First 5000 miles the bike was getting low 50's, but it has crept up over time....either my riding has improved or the bike has bed in...I think it is the latter!

I need to get out and have some fun!

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Currently running my second set of Pilot Road 4 (soon coming to an end - about 1k to go I guess). Pretty happy with them.
I never rode with them in the rain and hopefully never will but I bought them because they last long (about 8-9.000 km / 4970-5590 miles for me). Because of the different compounds they still got good grip on the edge of the tire.
But I already decided to go for something different this time simply because I don´t ride in the rain.
Was looking at the Angel GT. Let´s see how this turns out.
Nice video but how the hell do they get 20.000km out of one tire???

I guess it depends on your roads.In thailand the gov. is very cheap,they put very little blue
stones in the mix,when they lay roads.So the roads are more slippery, but your tires last much
longer.So it really doesn't matter what tire i put on,i will still get good wear out them.I am
more concern with the grip on the road.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
Quick little update for you guys:
I planned to get, compare and review either the Angel GT or the Roadtec 01 to my PR4s.
Not gonna happen, the M7RRs looked to tasty. :smuggrin:
What I can say concluding the story PR4 - probably won´t get them ever again - they are ok. For what they are they are nice.
Also they last pretty long doing a burnout before changing. :angelic::angelic::angelic:
Can hopefully get the bike back tomorrow with a new chain and the RRs. Will update you on those after some time.

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
I no you guys are on these good tyres but don't you find the standard dunlops fairly good.?
Biggest issue I had was profile on the rear. it's a bit "square" by comparison which slows handling and how the bile feels when you start to lean it over.
It also bugged me that the "safety strips" were different from front to rear, indicating a poor match in profile.

As soon as I had a RP4 on the rear, the bikes handling was markedly different. something others have also reported from any of the other brands in the OP video.

As for the compound, it was slow to heat up and took more to keep it there.
It may be that ryan F9 does not review Dunlop due to access reasons (he does for his cruiser review), but he does not have a dunlop in his top sport or touring tyre videos.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I no you guys are on these good tyres but don't you find the standard dunlops fairly good.?
The standard Dunlops are "fine" unlike most of Honda's OEM tires of late but they don't do anything particularly well: mileage is ok, wet grip is ok, dry grip is ok, cornering feel is ok, compliance is ok.

Get my drift? :)

Personally I don't believe there is any real reason to swap early (unlike the Grom, NC, 600RR, CTX, ST1300, VFR, etc.) but you will notice a fairly big difference with better rubber when the time comes.

My opinion only.

Top Bottom