• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Power Comander!!

Is the power comander V worth it??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
There definitely should be an o2 sensor eliminator in the kit.

The sensor can stay in the exhaust though. It just shouldn't be plugged in.

Is this only the case when not using autotune? I bought pc5 used and didn't get the eliminator but bought autotune new. I emailed dynojet. They said to leave both sensors installed which confused me. Two different and independent signals?

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
The auto tune replaces the stock o2 sensor (hence the eliminator for stock harness - possibly? ).

The new wide band sensor is wired directly to the auto tune module.

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Just got the following response from DynoJet:

"Thank you for your inquiry. We appreciate your interest and support for our products.
For the modern bikes with closed loop systems we have found in recent testing and analysis that most modern engines now have actually been designed to run at the leaner factory settings. In the closed loop area of the fuel curve we find they generally run better if the factory closed loop system is retained and not changed. That area is generally very low engine load conditions at the low rpm and throttle, so it does not require substantial fuel changes to run optimally like the high rpm, high throttle settings do. Due to this and ever tighter emissions regulations at the state and federal levels we now recommend the factory closed loop O2 sensor components be left connected, and if using our Auto Tune it would only make adjustments outside that area where they are truly needed for the high engine load conditions at higher rpm and throttle settings. Leaving the factory sensors in place and installing the Auto tune for fuel adjustments outside the closed loop area actually gives you the best overall compromise between fuel economy and power and performance when actually needed. You get maximum economy in the low rpm throttle range, and max power and performance in the high rpm, throttle range."

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
Just got the following response from DynoJet:

"Thank you for your inquiry. We appreciate your interest and support for our products.
For the modern bikes with closed loop systems we have found in recent testing and analysis that most modern engines now have actually been designed to run at the leaner factory settings. In the closed loop area of the fuel curve we find they generally run better if the factory closed loop system is retained and not changed. That area is generally very low engine load conditions at the low rpm and throttle, so it does not require substantial fuel changes to run optimally like the high rpm, high throttle settings do. Due to this and ever tighter emissions regulations at the state and federal levels we now recommend the factory closed loop O2 sensor components be left connected, and if using our Auto Tune it would only make adjustments outside that area where they are truly needed for the high engine load conditions at higher rpm and throttle settings. Leaving the factory sensors in place and installing the Auto tune for fuel adjustments outside the closed loop area actually gives you the best overall compromise between fuel economy and power and performance when actually needed. You get maximum economy in the low rpm throttle range, and max power and performance in the high rpm, throttle range."
I got the exact same response... word by word....

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Sounds like a sales pitch for AutoTune modules to me. Fair enough on the close-loop part.

Unless you are going to swap exhausts/filters every 2 weeks, just get a map done and loaded by a good tune-up shop. It'll cost less than an AT module and be a better job.

J

JB's CB650R

CB650R
Jul 15, 2019
but with there being no PC module to fit this bike what would the tune up shop load the map onto, im against ECU tampering due to warranty voiding.

Power Commander still in production development stage according to Customer Support.

going to remove my pair valve soon to see if it sorts out the snatchy low revs

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
All standard CB650r
Dont waste you money!... I am already regretful. It Doesn’t do anything substantial to your stock bike if you are a daily commuter. it may slightly change your bike’s behaviour at higher revs unless you get custom tunned dyno map. I strongly recommend downloading the power commander app and a map before purchasing any. you will find what I mean. If you think your bike is running lean, all the maps are much leaner at low rpms. .. so I dont see any point to pay that much money + installation (if u are not a handy man) . Its not a day and night change at all!!! at least with the generic maps on dynojet web site. The only use of it for me was adding more air to my mix at 0% throttle to reduce pops and crackles....

Last edited:

victorkkq

CBR650F
Oct 30, 2018
Dont waste you money!... I am already regretful. It Doesn’t do anything substantial to your stock bike if you are a daily commuter. it may slightly change your bike’s behaviour at higher revs unless you get custom tunned dyno map. I strongly recommend downloading the power commander app and a map before purchasing any. you will find what I mean. If you think your bike is running lean, all the maps are much leaner at low rpms. .. so I dont see any point to pay that much money + installation (if u are not a handy man) . Its not a day and night change at all!!! at least with the generic maps on dynojet web site. The only use of it for me was adding more air to my mix at 0% throttle to reduce pops and crackles....
Wow.. I was about to buy the PC5 this month. I did alot of asking around, the feed back is generally positive.. Hmm.. Now I am in doubt. I am using the Akra full system planning to custom tune it. Will it be ok?

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
Wow.. I was about to buy the PC5 this month. I did alot of asking around, the feed back is generally positive.. Hmm.. Now I am in doubt. I am using the Akra full system planning to custom tune it. Will it be ok?
Did u do what I told you? Download and analyze the map. Assuming you have a little knowledge already, it would be easy to read. Btw, your o2 sensor is capable of adjusting the AFR to some extent which is quite enough to what you have done ( no high flow air filter, right?). Wait for a year for your warranty to expire, and then either flash your ECU or get pcv if you were still interested. Read my words, it is not as noticeable if you are a daily commuter.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
It will be fine but be sure you get a custom tune because the “canned” ones you can download are only ok.

It’s like this: very few people notice, or have, a huge night and day difference in their bike and how it runs after a PCV install. Some have but it’s few and far between and most that do have done the exhaust at the same time or have had other bike issues that were addressed at that time.

What you will (should) notice is cooler running, a smoother throttle transition from on to off and an increase in overall smooth power delivery as it rids the bike of the stock ECU map weirdness that emissions testing requires. It won’t be an all out change and make the bike rip where it was tame before, but on a bike with a custom map the tuner should give you an overall smoother riding bike with a great throttle feel and control.

If you want you bike to run the absolute best it can, a PCV is a must have. If you’re fine with it as is, or are not looking for that last 5% perfect, I’d say on this bike skip it.

Last edited:

JB's CB650R

CB650R
Jul 15, 2019
I’m getting full black widow exhaust system plus sports air filter then once PCV have released one for this bike I will purchase and get full dyno map, not a generic downloaded one.

Top Bottom