• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F Pgm Fi

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
It sounds like you are dealing with an independent motorcycle dealer because of your warranty. If that is the case haven't you got a Honda dealer nearby to have the code checked.

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
Bought from Honda Blackpool. I live about 90ish miles away. Looked at the service manual on here and I think TP sensor is probably the problem.

The bike had a restriction on it before I bought it and asked the dealer to take it off. Maybe the work they've done has effected it?

I'll let you know what is said. Not many Honda dealers up here in the lakes. Closest one to me is Carlisle but its quicker to get to Blackpool. The joys of living in the lakes when you need main dealers!!

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
They fobbed you off a bit the first time I think. The description they gave was from someone who had not got the answer. Fingers crossed they sort it, if not you will have to let Brammers guide you through the procedures and get your hands dirty. I think you have to get tough with them. When I bought my bike used from Honda I had to fill a questionnaire in detailing how I was treated. Honda UK like to think you are being looked after.

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
Just out of curiosity how much of a big job is it? Or how much to get fixed any ideas?

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
The tp sensor is easy to get to, it's the black plastic unit on the left hand side of the throttle bodies behind the engine.

You can see it with the fairing still in place.

A wiring check will need the tank lifted, and possibly the airbox removal. Couple of hours work maybe?

J

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
Thanks for your reply.

As I guessed the warning light was not showing after finishing night shift and ran good for 45 min commute (run out really but don't tell the wife)

I've got a feeling it is something to do with the throttle after spending 95% of my shift looking at TP sensor symptoms haha.

With it being intermittent I'm leaning towards wiring issue. Will speak to Honda today and see what they say. If they start fobbing me off will send a email to Head Office.

If it takes too long I will fix it, hopefully with the service manual on the pinned posts and a bit of guidance, and send my invoice to Honda.

Cheers for the chipping in with advice/support in this frustrating issue. Still LOVE the bike. Looking forward to the summer!

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
Craziest thing has happened. Trawling the Internet and see this one post. Not a cbr but flashing the same code 8-6.

Guy writes..... Turn bike on, do not run the engine and open and close the throttle twice. Turn ignition off. Turn ignition on then start engine a blam no light, no jumping revs or lulls in power.

Monday tomo so might ride to dealer and see what they say.

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
Update...

Spoke to Honda who have said to take it to Lancaster a week tomorrow. They will provide a courtesy bike whilst they look into it.

They asked me to keep a diary over the next week of how the bikes running. Manager also said if possible try and hit 120mph on the bike obviously on a private road 😉.

The manager at Lancaster is certain that Honda Blackpool have caused the issue with taking the restriction off before purchase. This is why I must push the bike just to be certain that's not the issue.

Either way happy with their response and will let you all know what's going on.

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
Bike is currently in garage dropped off at Honda Lancaster today. Fairings and tank off and he should be done by Monday.

Currently riding DCT 750X Automatic.

Let you know what is said.

anTONYo

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
Before i put my bike away for the winter, i noticed the ABS and CEL(MIL) lights flashing. Just got around to going over the readout process and came back as ABS (4-1 and 6-1) and the CEL (8-6).

I have since cleared the ABS faults as this is the first "repair" step laid out by the service manual to verify it was not just a false code so i will have to wait until I can get riding again to see if those come back.

Regarding the CEL 8-6 code and in reading the above thread, I recall towards the end of last season (October-ish) that the bike had a tough time starting a couple times like it would turn over and I could smell a strong gasoline smell out the exhaust and then after about 10 seconds of spinning it fired up and rode fine. This may very well be either a fueling or throttle position issue.

I changed the air filter towards the end of the season (cannot remember whether the starting issue was before or after replacing the filter).

Currently have an Akra full system and PC-V.

Did the throttle on/off sequence you mention remove the CEL? and did you just take it in for piece of mind after you cleared the code? or did Honda end up finding an issue which was triggering the 8-6 code?

Thanks guys.

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Dec 20, 2018
Honda did not find a code on my ecu but I was advised by work mates who've been riding bikes for 30+ years it is something to do with the throttle position. They test ride it when fault was showing.

Regards to Honda they believed the on/off sequence was a coincidence, a coincidence which worked over half a dozen times.

To add, Honda also replaced my throttle and leads although he didn't mention that that work had been done.

Apart from that I'm an absolute beginner to bikes and I'm loving it. The bikes had no issues whatsoever since getting it back from Honda.

Top Bottom