• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's PAIR Valve Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronlukemarshall

CB650F ABS
Honorable Discharge
650 Alumnus
Nov 22, 2015
United Kingdom
Updating from old site as a few people have enquiries about the mod:

Reasons For:

Throttle is buttery smooth all the way up and down the line in all gears. No garbled noises or stutters on deceleration just smooth linear transitions.

Approx 6 hours maximum to complete.

It's a simple mod in theory but I wouldn't say it for beginners or non mechanically minded people there's a few things that can go horribly wrong if your not careful

You can order them from eBay for £25-$30 ish.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/252363217562?_mwBanner=1

Follow the Service manual to take out the air box.

Once they arrive you need to fit them in tight this will mark then aluminium plates with the screw marking.

You'll need to use a 12mm drill bit and drill down 2-3 mm for screw clearance.
Use wet and dry paper to clean off sharp edges use P320 paper or better.

IMG_2318.JPG
•Plates after drilling

To check they seal is ok wipe a light oil in the plate surface press the reed valve and rubber seal into the plate on both sides you should see a oil ring appear where there is a good seal. This means you'll achieve the correct engine seal when mounting on.
IMG_2320.JPG
•Oil Seal Marking on Plate

IMG_2319.JPG
•Reed Valves with Seals

IMG_7202.JPG
•Blanking Plates fitted.

IMG_2323.JPG IMG_7205.JPG •Blanking plates underneath airbox.

IMG_7206.JPG
•Airbox Blanking Cap.

IMG_7215.JPG
•1Kg of Gubbins Removed.

Follow the service manual and replace everything back to how you started.

For *completeness you can add a 27ohm Resistor 10w thin film to complete the circuit however it's not monitored by the bikes ECU so doesn't affected daily riding or error messages.
*I have OCD so I needed to completed the loop.
IMG_7227.JPG
•27Ohm Resistor (Optional)

Secure with zip tie and use amalgamation tape to finish off.
IMG_7228.JPG
•Resistor Tied on.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
I skipped the resistor part with no ill affects.

Also I went a different route and removed the screws instead of drilling the plates.

This does destroy the reeds valves though, needing new ones to revert to stock.

Everything else Aaron says is spot on.

J

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
To cover off the use of the PAIR valve, as we understand them.

• it "injects" air into the exhaust flow. this happens from the low pressure behind the exhaust gas pulse.
• The extra oxygen is used to heat the O2 sensor and the Cat'Converter to operating temp. In the EURO4 market, start up is the most critical part of the bike non-compliance period.
• The valve is set to be open on no current, thus no error code and no real need for the resistor. only when the throttle is opened should the valve close.

• If you remove the cat converter, you remove most of the need for O2 "injection" altogether. except for the O2 system being a bit out for a few minutes till up to temp.

• there is an anecdotal issue with a slight lag in getting on the throttle when cold, which suggest PAIR & ECM are not always on the same page below 5000rpm. the OP reports that some related issues getting cross port scavenging working reopening throttle are improved.

Thanks for putting the OP together Aaron.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Full exhaust here, no remap or pc5 (yet).

Duncan is right about the warm up... It idles a little rough from cold for a minute or so, then settles down nicely once temps come up.

J

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
the effect of the exhaust, through scavenging, can help draw air/fuel charge into the combustion chamber.
the pair valve disrupts scavenging, particularly when you just crack the throttle. Its effects are not just on the exhaust side.

it also plays silly games with the O2 sensor, but the correction sampling seems slow to react.

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
Awesome topic & info. Though that is far, far deeper into the bike than I ever trust myself getting.
if you have replaced your air filter, or lifted the tank, the pair valve is just under the air box. about 4 more screws. Then you will see what is in the picture tagged "•Blanking plates underneath airbox."
it's also where you get to to replace the spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom