• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's PAIR VALVE REMOVAL (improved version)

CheccoG12

CB650F ABS
May 10, 2023
Riding Since
Wow that's a massive difference

makes me want to block the tube too
not sure though as I've read different opinions about blocking/disabling the pair valve with a kat installed :/
my idea was to block the pipe in order to verify that the noise did not come from the distribution.

now there are two ways:

1. Hold the valve blocked for a while and see how the bike handles. when I replace the exhaust with an aftermarket one, buy the whole kit for the pair.

2. replace the valve with a new one to check if the noise is due to the old original valve.

At the moment, from the first impression i don't see differences in the engine.

Last edited:

cryingman

CB650R ABS
Feb 13, 2023
Riding Since
Hello guys.
here i am again. after a few weeks I managed to find the time and the courage to investigate the pair.
I plugged the tube from the air filter box to the pair valve with a marble. The result is incredible...
I finally managed to get rid of that drag noise..
I upload a before and after video hoping it will help someone.
Thank you all.

to be honest- i cant hear any difference

chamikooo

CB650R ABS
May 14, 2023
Vancouver BC
Riding Since
Hello guys.
here i am again. after a few weeks I managed to find the time and the courage to investigate the pair.
I plugged the tube from the air filter box to the pair valve with a marble. The result is incredible...
I finally managed to get rid of that drag noise..
I upload a before and after video hoping it will help someone.
Thank you all.

Hi there! Is it just a regular marble you used? And Where did you get it from?

Cedar650

CBR650F ABS
Apr 26, 2023
Riding Since
Hi there! Is it just a regular marble you used? And Where did you get it from?
You just have to be creative and come up with some way to block the pipe. A correctly sized marble is one option. I used a rubber grommet/stopper within the airbox when I was testing though have now installed the block-off delete kit. You could also pull the pipe off the airbox, then cap the hole on the airbox and kink over the pipe with a zip tie to close it. Anything that simply stops air from being able to be pulled into the PAIR and stop air getting into the airbox.

Tpdo1996

CB650R
Jun 6, 2023
Riding Since
I blocked it with the marble, the sound is still there but when driving it seems quieter. Yesterday while driving it sounded like a steam engine, very annoying. give it a try for a few days.
Why ticking sound appear few day ago after i drive about 1500mile, it not happen in first time. Ecu open this??? Why some people have some not??

Last edited:

chamikooo

CB650R ABS
May 14, 2023
Vancouver BC
Riding Since
You just have to be creative and come up with some way to block the pipe. A correctly sized marble is one option. I used a rubber grommet/stopper within the airbox when I was testing though have now installed the block-off delete kit. You could also pull the pipe off the airbox, then cap the hole on the airbox and kink over the pipe with a zip tie to close it. Anything that simply stops air from being able to be pulled into the PAIR and stop air getting into the airbox.
did you get the "noise" every one is talking about after the block the pipe?

Cedar650

CBR650F ABS
Apr 26, 2023
Riding Since
did you get the "noise" every one is talking about after the block the pipe?
I think most people complain about having a noise before blocking or removing the PAIR. I didn't notice any noise before, but had a pretty severe jerkiness on deceleration which bucked and kicked as you coasted to a stop while in gear. Blocking the port solved the issue for me so I bought the kit and remove the PAIR altogether. Definitely no new noises after doing the delete either.

Tpdo1996

CB650R
Jun 6, 2023
Riding Since
Hey guys! i notice about someone say the pair valve sound will close on high rpm. Is that correct or are we just running too fast to hear it. I tested it in the warehouse today and the sound sync with high rpm. Now I'm thinking maybe the problem is not in the PAIR valve, its in head of the engine ( camshaft sound, etc). Or it just normal 4 cilinders engine working.

MotoDonner

CB650R ABS
Feb 10, 2021
Riding Since
Hey guys! i notice about someone say the pair valve sound will close on high rpm. Is that correct or are we just running too fast to hear it. I tested it in the warehouse today and the sound sync with high rpm. Now I'm thinking maybe the problem is not in the PAIR valve, its in head of the engine ( camshaft sound, etc). Or it just normal 4 cilinders engine working.

Mine stops making a sound above ~2000rpm

cryingman

CB650R ABS
Feb 13, 2023
Riding Since
what abouth just turn it off by programming ecu? my mate done for his yamaha r1- will it be the same as blocking kit? because i can get it professionally reprogrammed for 100 quid

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
what abouth just turn it off by programming ecu? my mate done for his yamaha r1- will it be the same as blocking kit? because i can get it professionally reprogrammed for 100 quid
To my knowledge, the setting in the ecu to disable the PAIR does not physically disable it, it just disables its check light. I think this is the normal in most ECU's, so I think physically disabling it is the only way. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
Brace yourself. You are about to enter a rabbit hole of multiple reared and googling on this subject. But essentially pair valve goes brrrrrrr. We want to stop pair valve go brrrrrr. Pair valve going brrrrr is bad.

Frances77

CB650F ABS
Aug 26, 2022
Riding Since
I'm going to attempt fitting plates soon, on order, and have a question. If the reeds are left in place will they still make a noise as there will still be a small vacuum effect between the reeds and cover plates? But also if the reeds are removed it means the sealing rubber is directly exposed to hot exhaust gases; can that be a problem? Or.. Am I just overthinking it all.

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
I'm going to attempt fitting plates soon, on order, and have a question. If the reeds are left in place will they still make a noise as there will still be a small vacuum effect between the reeds and cover plates? But also if the reeds are removed it means the sealing rubber is directly exposed to hot exhaust gases; can that be a problem? Or.. Am I just overthinking it all.
Remove the reeds from the rubberized plate. I did it and the bike still made the annoying buzzing. So you can keep them in place.

Also if plates are in place, there is no vacuum effect, it’s an empty sealed part of the engine.

Stop overthinking, it’s an “easy” mod.

Cheers!!

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hello.

Reed valves are activated by gas flow, in this case, clean air comming from air box.
If you leave them with the blanking plates over, there will be no flow so, they will be inactive. But as you are removing the entire system, I don´t see any reason the leave them on.
Also reed valves are not exposed to exhaus gases. Ther´s a galery between them and exhaust, where fresh air is "injected".

1695024592574.png

Last edited:

Frances77

CB650F ABS
Aug 26, 2022
Riding Since
Hello.

Reed valves are activated by gas flow, in this case, clean air comming from air box.
If you leave them with the blanking plates over, there will be no flow so, they will be inactive. But as you are removing the entire system, I don´t see any reason the leave them on.
Also reed valves are not exposed to exhaus gases. Ther´s a galery between them and exhaust, where fresh air is "injected".

View attachment 14255
Remove the reeds from the rubberized plate. I did it and the bike still made the annoying buzzing. So you can keep them in place.

Also if plates are in place, there is no vacuum effect, it’s an empty sealed part of the engine.

Stop overthinking, it’s an “easy” mod.

Cheers!!

Thanks guys, I feel much more confident now👍. One last thing I'm unsure of is the resistor, I know it's best to get 24ohm one for my model but unsure of exact type...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266181136737?hash=item3df9a1d161:g:j6YAAOSwznxkuSwM&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwMN+wFot3jyS1xd7leW+yB+J1gviEKh0abBDDnttuiZOhVyOICoM5nfgzAJLfFtIGz8BhV5XNfp2Q7/cYcx1TN87oNe+RjxWXRXGZql2lyS0biDIeWHQ9md9MY3L/TjNl5rhKILraLyxkdV/IpYsL1QTITfQzEN99WFNHM3I2AqSjG/vIuzHuurE0KJyFFTzCSSK88UT0/vPLiuar27ezPYP2fKQaTvZ2ywvxDvaVEgdADlROqOJQsEDND3p5WS4qQ==|tkp:Bk9SR-Sqw4fVYg

www.ebay.co.uk

10 Watt Wire wound Cement Resistors Axial 0.1 ohms to 10K ohms 5% J Full range | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 10 Watt Wire wound Cement Resistors Axial 0.1 ohms to 10K ohms 5% J Full range at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products.
www.ebay.co.uk

.. Would one those be ok, do I need to worry about wattage at all?

Top Bottom