• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Oil filters

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
I use oem with the oem filter socket adapter. That one can take the right torque (on and off) and will not damage the filter.

There's an oem part for the kit. It's about £13 (includes filter).

chris.cestero

CBR650F ABS
Jan 9, 2018
Bath UK
This will be the only time I will link this, I typed “service manual” into the search box and this was the fourth or fifth title in the search results:

https://650f.bike/threads/2014-service-manual.100/

It’s for a 2014-2016 but the engine is 99% the same so oil spec and proceedure wise, it’s the same. The specs and procedure should be in your owners manual as well.

10w-30 or 10w-40 will work just fine for your needs, full synthetic, dino or semi synthetic is a personal choice as any will work just fine as long as you change it at the recommended interval.

The K&N oil filter is good as well provided you are CAREFUL with the 17mm nut, it’s not meant to be torqued nor will it stand up to any large force put on it and can, and will, leak if overtightened. Search for the K&N recall on the KN-204 filters for info on what can happen. It had been going on for years before they finally did something about it.

Lots of people love them but there’s a reason OEMs have not gone that route even though it would cut costs by never having to have multiple wrenches for filters and the ease of removal the wrench provides: too easy to overtighten. I used K&N oil filters for years because of the nut, availability and price but stopped several years ago because of the failures I had been seeing happen. I am careful and even had a small leak a couple times.

YMMV.
I've seen this manual before, it's pinned to the top- it's what I've been basing my info on however I just wanted to be sure that there are no differences between 2014 model and my 2017 (2018 in the USA- the 90hp model).

I also didn't receive a owners manual, which is why I've had such a hard time finding the info out, as well as that, Honda doesn't have a download page for their bike manuals.

Lastly, regarding the filter from K&N, the nut is meant to be for undoing, not tightening. I'll tighten it by hand, which will be enough to keep it tight but not damage anything - the same as I've always done. Again, the reason I was asking about this, is due to the fact that on the K&N website, a CBR650F wasn't listed in the models it fits.

Thanks to all for helping!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I've seen this manual before, it's pinned to the top- it's what I've been basing my info on however I just wanted to be sure that there are no differences between 2014 model and my 2017 (2018 in the USA- the 90hp model).

I also didn't receive a owners manual, which is why I've had such a hard time finding the info out, as well as that, Honda doesn't have a download page for their bike manuals.

Lastly, regarding the filter from K&N, the nut is meant to be for undoing, not tightening. I'll tighten it by hand, which will be enough to keep it tight but not damage anything - the same as I've always done. Again, the reason I was asking about this, is due to the fact that on the K&N website, a CBR650F wasn't listed in the models it fits.

Thanks to all for helping!
Ok, thanks for the info. I didn’t know if you didn’t see the manual link or if there was some other factor. The CB and CBR are the same motors with the same parts and the 14-16 and 17-18 are the same with the exception of the ECU tune, gearing and some intake changes. Anything oil related will transfer.

I apologize on the owners manuals, they must have pulled them because for a while if you clicked on the manuals tab they were there, I see they are not anymore. Talk to your dealer, they are cheap and good to have for minor needs.

Lots of people do not understand that about the nut on the K&N so I am sure to let people onus you can easily overtouque them. Glad to know you are aware. The recalled filters worked fine for MOST people, again, the ones that use the nut to tighten had the majority of the problems. I work on a lot of bikes, some I own, others I work on for people I know, and I’ve had issues with the K&N filters which is why I don’t recommend them as well. Looks like their application chart is outdated as well.

I have no idea anyone’s level of knowledge on a forum, my response to you was not meant to offend, I apologize if it did. Been a long week at work, I may have come across more terse than I meant it.

Happy riding and wrenching.

Last edited:

chris.cestero

CBR650F ABS
Jan 9, 2018
Bath UK
Ok, thanks for the info. I didn’t know if you didn’t see the manual link or if there was some other factor. The CBR and CBR are the same motors with the same parts and the 14-16 and 17-18 are the same with the exception of the ECU tune, gearing and some intake changes. Anything oil related will transfer.

I apologize on the owners manuals, they must have pulled them because for a while if you clicked on the manuals tab they were there, I see they are not anymore. Talk to your dealer, they are cheap and good to have for minor needs.

Lots of people do not understand that about the nut on the K&N so I am sure to let people onus you can easily overtouque them. Glad to know you are aware. The recalled filters worked fine for MOST people, again, the ones that use the nut to tighten had the majority of the problems. I work on a lot of bikes, some I own, others I work on for people I know, and I’ve had issues with the K&N filters which is why I don’t recommend them as well. Looks like their application chart is outdated as well.

I have no idea anyone’s level of knowledge on a forum, my response to you was not meant to offend, I apologize if it did. Been a long week at work, I may have come across more terse than I meant it.

Happy riding and wrenching.
I appreciate your reply brother, no need to apologize. I know it's common for people to ask questions when there are already forum posts relating to it. Again, I really appreciate you and everyone who's replied to this post trying to help me out.

I'll update this post once I've done the service as to whether or not these new k&n are working any better.

Take it steady bud, and don't let work get you down! :)

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
I torqued mine using the nut and haven't had any issues, but will bare that in mind next time. My old Fiesta and 1 series have nuts to torque the filters up too so maybe it's just a K&N build quality issue.

chris.cestero

CBR650F ABS
Jan 9, 2018
Bath UK
I torqued mine using the nut and haven't had any issues, but will bare that in mind next time. My old Fiesta and 1 series have nuts to torque the filters up too so maybe it's just a K&N build quality issue.
Yeah could be, I've never torqued mine up, I remember one of the old packets actually used to warn you about that

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
There's even a place to store it under the seat, pillion end. I find it bizarre some are sold without one considering how much important information is in them.

Top Bottom