• Welcome - be sure to add your motorcycle to the Showcase!

CB650R New cb650r owner (first bike) in London

JamesL

CB650R
Aug 25, 2021
Riding Since
Hi guys,

So I take delivery on my new cb650r in 2 weeks but before it gets here I’m trying to figure out how to prevent my new pride and joy from being nicked. Unfortunately it’s mostly going to live on my driveway in London which I know isn’t ideal but that’s just the situation…

Does anyone have any tips (or pictures) of how best to chain it to a ground anchor? I’m thinking about getting the Pragmasis 19mm protector with ground anchor but looking at the pictures I can’t see how I’d get any chain (let alone a 19mm one) around some part of the frame? There doesn’t seem to be anywhere on the swing arm and the best I can see from pictures is the rear shock absorber - which seems an odd place to put a chain around to me and presumably would require a really long chain. I know I can just run one through the rear wheel but everywhere says frame is best since wheels can be taken off…

This will of course be on top of two disc locks and a datatool tracker.

I’ve checked through the threads and can’t see anything on this so very grateful for any advice!

Will be sure to post pictures of the new beauty when she gets here!

Cheers all,

james

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any tips (or pictures) of how best to chain it to a ground anchor? I’m thinking about getting the Pragmasis 19mm protector with ground anchor but looking at the pictures I can’t see how I’d get any chain (let alone a 19mm one) around some part of the frame?
I can help out with this one.

I have the Pragmasis 16mm protector (2m in length) with the Torc ground anchor which is resin fitted into the concrete floor. First up, it's a beast of a chain and I am very happy with it. My chain goes through behind the rear shock and I can 100% tell you that you won't get the 19mm through there. It's just too big as you can only just about manoeuvre the 16mm round the shock. There aren't any other places on the frame where you'll get that chain through. There aren't any places on the swingarm to do it either.

If you can get the bike near the anchor like I can then you're golden. It's much safer through the shock than through the wheels.

Pics attached to show you the set up. Couple that chain with disk locks front and back and you've done as much as you can to help protect your investment. Make sure you cover it too and find as plain cover as you can. A plain black cover helps make the bike blend into the night.

Attachments

• IMG_5852.jpg
    IMG_5852.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5857.jpg
    IMG_5857.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5864.jpg
    IMG_5864.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5866.jpg
    IMG_5866.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

JamesL

CB650R
Aug 25, 2021
Riding Since

I have the Pragmasis 16mm protector (2m in length) with the Torc ground anchor which is resin fitted into the concrete floor. First up, it's a beast of a chain and I am very happy with it. My chain goes through behind the rear shock and I can 100% tell you that you won't get the 19mm through there. It's just too big as you can only just above manoeuvre the 16mm round the shock. There aren't any other places on the frame where you'll get that chain through. There aren't any places on the swingarm to do it either.

If you can get the bike near the anchor like I can then you're golden. It's much safer through the shock than through the wheels.

Pics attached to show you the set up. Couple that chain with disk locks front and back and you've done as much as you can to help protect your investment. Make sure you cover it too and find as plain cover as you can. A plain black cover helps make the bike blend into the night.

Rafe you’re an absolute legend! This is exactly what I was trying to figure out.

Really appreciate the insight and the pictures. As you suggest I’ll get the 16mm chain to go around the shock and into the anchor and pair that with a couple of heavy duty disc locks front and back. I’ll have the Oxford stormex over it as well (although I take your point about trying to keep it plain so might try taping over the reflective strips) so hopefully all that should keep the opportunists away at least!

You’ve gone above and beyond sir. Much appreciated!

Cheers,

James

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
Rafe you’re an absolute legend! This is exactly what I was trying to figure out.

Really appreciate the insight and the pictures. As you suggest I’ll get the 16mm chain to go around the shock and into the anchor and pair that with a couple of heavy duty disc locks front and back. I’ll have the Oxford stormex over it as well (although I take your point about trying to keep it plain so might try taping over the reflective strips) so hopefully all that should keep the opportunists away at least!

You’ve gone above and beyond sir. Much appreciated!

Cheers,

James
My pleasure - glad I could help.

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019

I have the Pragmasis 16mm protector (2m in length) with the Torc ground anchor which is resin fitted into the concrete floor. First up, it's a beast of a chain and I am very happy with it. My chain goes through behind the rear shock and I can 100% tell you that you won't get the 19mm through there. It's just too big as you can only just about manoeuvre the 16mm round the shock. There aren't any other places on the frame where you'll get that chain through. There aren't any places on the swingarm to do it either.

That’s a very smart way to secure your bike 👍

Cc

CB650F
Jul 22, 2021
Riding Since
Also get a cover reduces theft. Disk lock through chain and sprocket rather than disk makes it more difficult. Welcome to the club and biking :)

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Does Datatag do any good deterring thieves? My bike was Datatagged from new by Suzuki last year.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
If mine was stolen I wouldn't want it back after some scum had done god knows what to it. I thought Datatag was a visible deterrent because bike parts are marked, or are you saying they would strip it and sell parts that aren't marked ?

Top Bottom