• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs Lowering CB650r suspension thoughts?

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
In my 2019 CB650R, I installed one of this lower shock mount (from T-Rex Racing), effectively lower the back +1 inch. This, combined with a lower seat (I trimed the foam about 1 inch), lowered front suspension, and my tall Daytona boots, allow me to reach one foot to the ground (no flat footed indeed). All of this, because I'm 5'1", with a 26" inseem. But a word of caution with this shock mount: because it raises the shock from the swing arm, the shock spring is now less than 1/2" apart from a lower transversal reinforcement of the rear chassis (the tubular structure holding the seat, battery and everything under the seat). Too much weigth, or hit a bump going too quickly, and the spring hit the reinforcement, causing a temporary "lockout" of the rear suspension, giving the same sensation of a very stiff shock (besides it's adjustment). Caught off guard, you can be thrown out of the seat. This lower reinforcement can't be cut, because it holds the rear plastic cage with the battery, electronics, etc. I'm conscious of this, and only speed the bike in very know roads....but in new ones for me, I'm very careful. Take in to account my weight is 59 kg (130 lb), and adapted my riding style for this situation...but at the first opportunity, I'll change this lower shock mount for a Lust Racing lowering kit.
So it is flawed and for somebody a lot heavier than you would be a real problem.

jfgarro

CB650R ABS
Jun 20, 2018
Costa Rica
Riding Since
Hey everyone!

I'm thinking about lowering my suspension to lower my ride height since I'm 5'5. I've been looking online to how to do this and din't get far.
Do I also need to adjust the front forks too?

should I just get a lowering kit instead?

Any advice is great!

What's your inseem? With 28", it wouldn't be a problem to reach the ground with one foot. Also, you can lower the rear shock rate for lowering the bike's back when you sit on it. Also, you can take out the main seat, take out the cover, and with one of those, shave the foam:

I shaved it about 1", and reduced the overall width for better reaching the ground. Is a messy job (little pieces of foam fly everywhere), but with patience and care, you can make it look as good as OEM, look to my attached pictures. For putting the vinyl cover back into place, I used contact glue. Hope this can help!

Jose
Miami

Attachments

• IMG_3705.JPG
    IMG_3705.JPG
    486 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3707.JPG
    IMG_3707.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3708.JPG
    IMG_3708.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 36

Recife79

CB650F ABS
Jan 25, 2021
United Kingdom
Riding Since
In my 2019 CB650R, I installed one of this lower shock mount (from T-Rex Racing), effectively lower the back +1 inch. This, combined with a lower seat (I trimed the foam about 1 inch), lowered front suspension, and my tall Daytona boots, allow me to reach one foot to the ground (no flat footed indeed). All of this, because I'm 5'1", with a 26" inseem. But a word of caution with this shock mount: because it raises the shock from the swing arm, the shock spring is now less than 1/2" apart from a lower transversal reinforcement of the rear chassis (the tubular structure holding the seat, battery and everything under the seat). Too much weigth, or hit a bump going too quickly, and the spring hit the reinforcement, causing a temporary "lockout" of the rear suspension, giving the same sensation of a very stiff shock (besides it's adjustment). Caught off guard, you can be thrown out of the seat. This lower reinforcement can't be cut, because it holds the rear plastic cage with the battery, electronics, etc. I'm conscious of this, and only speed the bike in very know roads....but in new ones for me, I'm very careful. Take in to account my weight is 59 kg (130 lb), and adapted my riding style for this situation...but at the first opportunity, I'll change this lower shock mount for a Lust Racing lowering kit.
Hello there. thats a lot for this post. Is there a lower seat which can buy and how do I lower the front suspension? Many thanks, Marcos.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Hello there. thats a lot for this post. Is there a lower seat which can buy and how do I lower the front suspension? Many thanks, Marcos.
I presume 'lowering the front suspension' means dropping the front end down on the forks.

Top Bottom