• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's I had a MIL(malfunction indicate lamp) on the clock twice and please advice.

Ahn

CBR650R ABS
May 15, 2021
Riding Since
Hi guys

I had a MIL on the clock twice after receive 2021 CBR650R.
Plese see below discription and i am so thanksful if someone who had similar experience reply any advices.

- I received brand new 2021 CBR650R In the early August and installed full system after market exhaust and convenience parts.
- First MIL has turned on around the 500km milage, and there was no engine fault and any visual problem. After few hours i fill the petrol and MIL has gone.
- Yester day 11th September i had a first service in the dealership and milage is around the 1200km on the clock. Scanned former MIL issue and change oil and etc.
The result of the scan is P0300-00 and meaning of Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected.
The mechenic said to me that might be cause after market exhaust and sometimes it happens to the motorcycles that installed after market exhaust.
He erased freeze DTC and told me the motorcycle needs more time for get use to after market exhaust.
- After finish first service and in the same day i rode my CBR650R and MIL has turned on again around the 1400km milage on the clock.
Same with the first issue there no engine fault and felt all mechanics work normaly.
- I didn't go delership because already closed and far from my home. I think all MIL has turned on in the same situation when i open more throttle for more speed around 8~9000rpm.

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20210911_162658508_01.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20210911_162658508_01.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 45
  • KakaoTalk_20210911_162658508.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20210911_162658508.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 44

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
It’s more likely the ECM had not properly learned the CKP profile than the exhaust being changed. The CKP variation is how the ECM interprets misfire, and P0300 sets when the overall sync is off or you have multiple cylinders misfiring and the ECM doesn’t know which ones.

Ahn

CBR650R ABS
May 15, 2021
Riding Since
A properly installed exhaust will not cause a misfire code to trip. An improperly installed one, or someone who did other work that didn’t get completed correctly could.
I added Mivv GP Pro exhaust and phone charger, driving recorder. There was nothing special when i install exhaust and i had a double checked oxygen sensor and replace the gasket. Should i need to check ignition parts too?

Ahn

CBR650R ABS
May 15, 2021
Riding Since
It’s more likely the ECM had not properly learned the CKP profile than the exhaust being changed. The CKP variation is how the ECM interprets misfire, and P0300 sets when the overall sync is off or you have multiple cylinders misfiring and the ECM doesn’t know which ones.
Does ECM needs more time and experience for learning CKP? I didn't ride with stock exhaust because i replaced the after market exhaust just after recieve my bike.

Ahn

CBR650R ABS
May 15, 2021
Riding Since
Clear DTCs and ride it normally. It should learn all its values in 150 miles or so.

Clear DTCs and ride it normally. It should learn all its values in 150 miles or so.
Yes, i will erase that code as soon as possible until i get back from work. I think that is the only way i can do now in my situation because there is no any mechanical fault. That is so getting on my nerves :/

Ahn

CBR650R ABS
May 15, 2021
Riding Since
I couldn't ride my cbr650r because i have to work in the another city last 5 days. Today i started my cbr650r after get back from work and there was still MIL.
I was heading to gas station immediately and fill the petrol because i remember that the first MIL has gone after fill the gas. And finally the MIL has gone !
Exactly MIL was still on during the riding heading to home, i was so disappointment and just waited for cooling fan stop it self after arrived home.
After stopped the cooling fan i started engine again and the MIL has gone as if nothing was happend. I am not sure why the MIL was off after fill the gas, and maybe that
might have been a coincidence?

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
The ECM will run a series of Diagostics when the engine is started. DTCs will set if any test routines fail. Misfire diagnostics run continuously and will set DTCs when a specific number of cylinder misfires are detected. If there are no noticeable misfires then either the CKP profile hasn’t finished learning or the sensor itself has output issues (like an erratic signal).

Reactions: Ahn

Ahn

CBR650R ABS
May 15, 2021
Riding Since
The ECM will run a series of Diagostics when the engine is started. DTCs will set if any test routines fail. Misfire diagnostics run continuously and will set DTCs when a specific number of cylinder misfires are detected. If there are no noticeable misfires then either the CKP profile hasn’t finished learning or the sensor itself has output issues (like an erratic signal).
I will request to the mechnic for check CKP when i visit dealership later. Thanks :)

pim555

CB650R ABS
Jul 20, 2022
Riding Since
Hi Ahn,

Curious to hear if you have found the root cause. I have recently gotten a new cbr 650 r, all stock which exhibits the same issue. MIL on at higher rpm, went away after refuel. OBD code reads as P0300.

Best
Pim

Ahn

CBR650R ABS
May 15, 2021
Riding Since
Hi Ahn,

Curious to hear if you have found the root cause. I have recently gotten a new cbr 650 r, all stock which exhibits the same issue. MIL on at higher rpm, went away after refuel. OBD code reads as P0300.

Best
Pim

Hello Pim, you have exactly same problem with mine. But i'm sorry i couldn't find the cause of the problem and sold the bike last October.
I had a phone call with the buyer early of this year and he told me the bike still has MIL sometimes without any mechanical issues.
I'm going to send the message to him for ask about the issues and if there is good news i will leave the reply :)

Ahn

CBR650R ABS
May 15, 2021
Riding Since
Thanks for replying
Buyer answered me and the bike still has MIL and also can't find the cause because the all function is seems normal :/
I suggested him inspection the crank position sensor and try replace if need. He told me the mileage is around the 13,000km. i thought the crank position sensor needs time to get use to with the new after market exhaust or the rider's propensity but it seems not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom