• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R HELP - Honda CB650R WILL NOT START! *SOLVED*

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
After watching the video I stand by the original recommendation. Check the flood procedure. EXACTLY as mine was when flooded. Had to be coaxed back to life after what was a ridiculous amount of cranking combined with rolling throttle. Just my 2 cents

jbvdveen

CB650R
Nov 2, 2020
Riding Since
After watching the video I stand by the original recommendation. Check the flood procedure. EXACTLY as mine was when flooded. Had to be coaxed back to life after what was a ridiculous amount of cranking combined with rolling throttle. Just my 2 cents
Wow. Okay, thanks again for your immense help. So just to review the procedure, I should open the throttle fully while pressing the ignition starter for 15 seconds? And then, I should wait 15 seconds for the starter to recover, and then repeat?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Wow. Okay, thanks again for your immense help. So just to review the procedure, I should open the throttle fully while pressing the ignition starter for 15 seconds? And then, I should wait 15 seconds for the starter to recover, and then repeat?
yes, but wait more like 20 or 30 seconds

User18

CB650R ABS
Jan 29, 2020
I had the same problem with mine in early summer after standing for a little longer (approx. 3-4 weeks) .
After clicking 2 or 3 times and then turning on the gas tap at the same time, it started again as usual. It has not recurred since then. Possibly air in the fuel line?
In the car I pump with the accelerator.

Simply turn the gas tap on and off again several times, then try to start.
If it does not want to start yet, repeat the same process while starting. Good luck

Last edited:

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Exactly. Give it some time between, but then a gentle rolling throttle occasionally. Mine "coughed" a bit and after that throttle on and it started.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
View attachment 9145

SOLVED! My mechanic came by and noticed that my ignition pick up was upside down! I reinstalled it correctly and it fired right up! Runs like new. Thanks again for everyone who gave me suggestions.
That’s awesome!!!

So that is something I would have mentioned far earlier, it’s very easy to do, however I didn’t see anywhere where you said you replaced or removed it from the clutch cover. Did I miss it or was that not mentioned?

jbvdveen

CB650R
Nov 2, 2020
Riding Since
That’s awesome!!!

So that is something I would have mentioned far earlier, it’s very easy to do, however I didn’t see anywhere where you said you replaced or removed it from the clutch cover. Did I miss it or was that not mentioned?

Yah... I forgot to mention it! I assumed it only fit back in one way... I didn't realize you could fit it in both ways. I took it off when I was cleaning the surfaces and preparing them for mating.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Yah... I forgot to mention it! I assumed it only fit back in one way... I didn't realize you could fit it in both ways. I took it off when I was cleaning the surfaces and preparing them for mating.
So for future problems, seemingly little stuff like this makes a huge difference for others troubleshooting over the Internet. If you look back at other times people who have had issues starting after swapping the clutch cover I always mention the sensor. I replaced the cover on a CBR1000RR I rebuilt a number of years ago and managed to get it in upside down; same symptoms as you had, luckily someone brought it up and I fixed it fairly easily once I knew. The 600RRs have this issue as well.

Glad it’s sorted!!!

jbvdveen

CB650R
Nov 2, 2020
Riding Since
So for future problems, seemingly little stuff like this makes a huge difference for others troubleshooting over the Internet. If you look back at other times people who have had issues starting after swapping the clutch cover I always mention the sensor. I replaced the cover on a CBR1000RR I rebuilt a number of years ago and managed to get it in upside down; same symptoms as you had, luckily someone brought it up and I fixed it fairly easily once I knew. The 600RRs have this issue as well.

Glad it’s sorted!!!

Mike. Thanks so much for the advice! I'll be sure to keep that in mind should I come across any issues in the future!

Top Bottom