Friend needs help fixing his first bike

Satilla

CB650R ABS
Feb 17, 2020
Title says it all. He was riding and popped the gear lever off on a downshift. His bike is stuck in third gear. I’m thinking that he needs some sort of OEM replacement hardware for that bracket that the lever mounts to. But I’m also confused cause it doesn’t even look threaded. He just picked this Yamaha xt250 up a week ago and obviously the previous owner rigged the shift assembly for a quick sale. Any help would be appreciated. If this isn’t allowed, just delete. This is the only bike forum I’m in so figured I’d give it a shot.

Attachments

• FAE967BB-B700-4A28-AFE1-0B37E60F7743.jpeg
    FAE967BB-B700-4A28-AFE1-0B37E60F7743.jpeg
    874.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 7ED54196-F34A-462D-9D92-F85FC42B42D5.jpeg
    7ED54196-F34A-462D-9D92-F85FC42B42D5.jpeg
    853 KB · Views: 26
  • 820EFB0B-A1D1-46AE-8985-F3383FD061C2.jpeg
    820EFB0B-A1D1-46AE-8985-F3383FD061C2.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 25

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
Title says it all. He was riding and popped the gear lever off on a downshift. His bike is stuck in third gear. I’m thinking that he needs some sort of OEM replacement hardware for that bracket that the lever mounts to. But I’m also confused cause it doesn’t even look threaded. He just picked this Yamaha xt250 up a week ago and obviously the previous owner rigged the shift assembly for a quick sale. Any help would be appreciated. If this isn’t allowed, just delete. This is the only bike forum I’m in so figured I’d give it a shot.

I'm thinking. Put in thread insert with thread lock red, then bolt with red lock thread, cut off bolt head, then re-thread a new hole.

Can you get closer pictures?

Last edited:

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
From your pictures it looks like that "shifter" is an entire piece??? To the right of the "hole" looks like a bolt that holds the entire part on. If this is the case why not look for the part and do it up the right way?

***Also, what make, model and year is that bike?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
So this is what it’s supposed to look like, you can see part #15 is what’s missing.

Here’s a link to the frame:

In the end, it’s a long bolt that goes into a plate. I’m still searching what that “plate” is so the year of the bike may help since I guessed at ‘09. They were all pretty much the same but obviously something is different because I don’t see it on the frame or footrest fiche.

It would be a VERY easy weld and retap job for a qualified welder, I’d just order a new bolt so it’s tapped right. Otherwise playing around with something like the screw, maybe a bolt with washers, etc. would do it.

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
So this is what it’s supposed to look like, you can see part #15 is what’s missing.

Here’s a link to the frame:

In the end, it’s a long bolt that goes into a plate. I’m still searching what that “plate” is so the year of the bike may help since I guessed at ‘09. They were all pretty much the same but obviously something is different because I don’t see it on the frame or footrest fiche.

It would be a VERY easy weld and retap job for a qualified welder, I’d just order a new bolt so it’s tapped right. Otherwise playing around with something like the screw, maybe a bolt with washers, etc. would do it.

Ignore what I posted. miweber929 message makes more sense.

Top Bottom