• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

flashing fuel bar

fez

CBR650F ABS
Sep 9, 2020
Riding Since
When the fuel is getting low the last bar starts flashing on my 650 f abs 2017 and the trip A goes to zero then starts counting up ie 0.1,0.2 etc.
What does this mean please and can it be turned off??Annoying that the trip zeros!!!Thanks.

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
When the fuel is getting low the last bar starts flashing on my 650 f abs 2017 and the trip A goes to zero then starts counting up ie 0.1,0.2 etc.
What does this mean please and can it be turned off??Annoying that the trip zeros!!!Thanks.

From the owners manual, always read it for help and tips.

Reserve fuel consumption [RES], 2.1 litres (0.55 US gal, 0.46 Imp gal)
Displays the fuel consumption since the 1st (E) segment of the fuel gauge starts flashing.
When the 1st (E) segment of the fuel gauge starts flashing, the current fuel mileage, average fuel mileage, fuel consumption, average speed or elapsed time switches to the reserve fuel consumption.
You should refill the tank as soon as possible.
● Flashes from “0.0” gal or L.
When the amount of consumed fuel is more than 0.42 US gal (1.6 L, 0.35 Imp gal), the “RES” mark on the display blinks faster.
After refueling more than the reserve amount, the display returns to normal.

Last edited:

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
You can change it so that the trip doesn't reset to 0. I don't remember how, but it's in the owner's manual somewhere. It's a simple process. I don't think there is a way to make it not flash and start metering the fuel usage.

Rogue

CBR650F ABS
CBR650F
Sep 3, 2017
St Albans, Herts, UK
Your trip meters are not actually returning to zero. Trip A and Trip B are still at whatever values they were at before fuel gauge went to empty. You now just have a "new" display which is a fuel usage counting up from zero. You can press the select button and cycle round to see your other displays Trip A, B, fuel efficiency etc. It's just that the display will automatically revert to this "new" count up of fuel usage after a few seconds and continue to do this until you re-fuel.
Slightly annoying but you get used to it. I'm a long distance commuter and encounter this often. My display is showing this in litres and as someone already mentioned there should be just over 2 litres left in the tank when this happens. Common wisdom is to never run a vehicle completely dry (risk sucking crap up from the bottom of the tank) but I often ride until this fuel usage is somewhere between 1 and 2. The nearer I get to 2 the more my anxiety goes up about pushing it too far though. I believe that the rate of flashing of the red segment also increases as you approach 2

Top Bottom