• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR 650 R Engine Reliability

Man_Down_

CBR650R
Jun 19, 2022
Germany
Riding Since
Hello guys,
im driving a Cbr 650 r 22' EU Version. I know that Honda Bikes and Cars are very reliable when it comes to their engines. Im driving very sporty with my bike, but i usually dont rev it over 9.000+ RPM. It is restricted anyways and it feels like the torqe is pretty much not there when im going above 9k rpm. Of course not always.... just when i wanna go fast. I got my bike since 4 months now and already killed alot of tires. So anyways. Every 3k Km i do an oil service with the filter. but know im curious. Did anyone had any major engine damage due to high milage/km's? Tbh im a little bit scared because i really love the bike and love riding it a lot. My last bike, ktm duke 125, had engine damage after 15.000km. thats why im afraid. What can you guys tell me when it comes to engine reliability? should i be afraid or can i sleep in peace :D
I only rev in the high rpms with my track bike. Thanks for replys. Sorry for bad eng.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I've not heard of any major concerns. I bought mine new and now have ~6000 miles. I am far from conservative on the throttle and it hasn't missed a beat nor does it feel like it will in the foreseeable future. Mine is geared 14/43 so it rev's higher and still shows really no signs of anything other than being a rock solid Honda! Do the required maintenance and in the event something does break just fix it and move on!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
If your bike is being properly maintained according to the schedule in the Honda service manual there is no reason not to see 100,000 miles plus without a major issue.

We had a member early on with 75k km on his bike in just 2 years, with no major issues.

AndyNZL

CB650R ABS
Mar 10, 2022
Riding Since
I have seen one with more than 62 000Km and no issues and doesn't consume any oil according to its owner

Last edited:

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hello guys,
im driving a Cbr 650 r 22' EU Version. I know that Honda Bikes and Cars are very reliable when it comes to their engines. Im driving very sporty with my bike, but i usually dont rev it over 9.000+ RPM. It is restricted anyways and it feels like the torqe is pretty much not there when im going above 9k rpm. Of course not always.... just when i wanna go fast. I got my bike since 4 months now and already killed alot of tires. So anyways. Every 3k Km i do an oil service with the filter. but know im curious. Did anyone had any major engine damage due to high milage/km's? Tbh im a little bit scared because i really love the bike and love riding it a lot. My last bike, ktm duke 125, had engine damage after 15.000km. thats why im afraid. What can you guys tell me when it comes to engine reliability? should i be afraid or can i sleep in peace :D
I only rev in the high rpms with my track bike. Thanks for replys. Sorry for bad eng.
Hello.

If in 4 months you already "killed alot of tires", don’t´ worry with the engine, you will probably trash the entire bike sooner than the engine ;-).
Hope not, obviously ;-)

Tony650r

CBR650R
Nov 30, 2021
Riding Since
I’m very curious to know how many km’s you’ve done in 4 months “To kill a lot of tires”? 🤯 And how many is a lot of tires? 😅

Hello guys,
Hello guys,

Man_Down_

CBR650R
Jun 19, 2022
Germany
Riding Since
Hello.

If in 4 months you already "killed alot of tires", don’t´ worry with the engine, you will probably trash the entire bike sooner than the engine ;-).
Hope not, obviously ;-)
yeaaah i already had some slippery moments. :D not in the rear because restricted. but in the front XD

Man_Down_

CBR650R
Jun 19, 2022
Germany
Riding Since
I’m very curious to know how many km’s you’ve done in 4 months “To kill a lot of tires”? 🤯 And how many is a lot of tires?
7600km ODO now :D . I trew the stock ones away after 500kms bacause they are trash in my opinion. then i bought rossos super corsa 2. they last minimum 1.500km-2000km. so i got my third stack now on my bike and they are already little bit hard because they went tru alot of heat cicles. front tire wears out more because i still drive restricted 48hp. the roads here where very hot. which made it a little bit worse. also the tire is done on the outsides and not on the inside. :D

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
I've got 39500 miles on my 650f (year 2014... One of the first UK bikes).

It's solid. No leaks, it's bedded in and doesn't use any oil now. Original clutch. No gearbox work done.

Change the oil and filter every year and it'll be solid all year every year.

J

Man_Down_

CBR650R
Jun 19, 2022
Germany
Riding Since

It's solid. No leaks, it's bedded in and doesn't use any oil now. Original clutch. No gearbox work done.

J
Oh damn. I change my oil every 3000km. I know is seem kinda weird. But I’m really careful when it comes to engines on bikes due to the ktm dying on me after only 15k km xD.
Also the high rpm’s and stuff..

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Oh damn. I change my oil every 3000km. I know is seem kinda weird. But I’m really careful when it comes to engines on bikes due to the ktm dying on me after only 15k km xD.
Also the high rpm’s and stuff..
KTM reliability and Honda reliability are two different things, as are high revs between a single and a multi cylinder bike. If you don’t rev it past 9K very often you’re not into “high rpm’s and stuff” like it seems like you are, the bike doesn’t even notice. And changing oil every 3,000km isn’t doing anything but draining your wallet unless you’re a racer banging it off the rev limiter ever 15 seconds in a race.

So as far as the SuperCorsa V2 tires going “hard” after 1,500-2,000 km (1,000-1,200 miles????) I also think you are way, way, WAY over analyzing what’s happening because unless they are pure race tires you are not heating them up to the point the oils come out and they become hard and unusable in such a short time. Not on a sub 50hp power on a tire designed to work on a 150hp plus twin like the Ducati V2 as original equipment on it. If a shop is telling you to change them they are outright stealing from you in that low mileage. Back in the day of the original Pilots, Pilot Power, BT010s, Dunlop Qualifiers, etc. when we used to run those on liter bikes we’d still get 1,500+ miles out a rear before they’d be down to the wear bars and that was beating on them to death with 135hp and tires are MUCH better nowadays.

A lot of times a newer rider really thinks they are riding extremely hard, wearing things out and being very aggressive and beating on their bike when 9.9 times out of 10 they are not. Unless you slide the tires into and out of every corner, bang the bike off the rev limiter every shift, pull power wheelies off of every stop light and are running true race slick tires you’re not as aggressive as it seems. Use the maintenance schedule in your owners manual as a guide to how to properly maintain your bike and it‘ll live a long, and very healthy, life.

Man_Down_

CBR650R
Jun 19, 2022
Germany
Riding Since

KTM reliability and Honda reliability are two different things, as are high revs between a single and a multi cylinder bike. If you don’t rev it past 9K very often you’re not into “high rpm’s and stuff” like it seems like you are, the bike doesn’t even notice. And changing oil every 3,000km isn’t doing anything but draining your wallet unless you’re a racer banging it off the rev limiter ever 15 seconds in a race.

So as far as the SuperCorsa V2 tires going “hard” after 1,500-2,000 km (1,000-1,200 miles????) I also think you are way, way, WAY over analyzing what’s happening because unless they are pure race tires you are not heating them up to the point the oils come out and they become hard and unusable in such a short time. Not on a sub 50hp power on a tire designed to work on a 150hp plus twin like the Ducati V2 as original equipment on it. If a shop is telling you to change them they are outright stealing from you in that low mileage. Back in the day of the original Pilots, Pilot Power, BT010s, Dunlop Qualifiers, etc. when we used to run those on liter bikes we’d still get 1,500+ miles out a rear before they’d be down to the wear bars and that was beating on them to death with 135hp and tires are MUCH better nowadays.

A lot of times a newer rider really thinks they are riding extremely hard, wearing things out and being very aggressive and beating on their bike when 9.9 times out of 10 they are not. Unless you slide the tires into and out of every corner, bang the bike off the rev limiter every shift, pull power wheelies off of every stop light and are running true race slick tires you’re not as aggressive as it seems. Use the maintenance schedule in your owners manual as a guide to how to properly maintain your bike and it‘ll live a long, and very healthy, life.
Thanks for reply bro. Even why is there a difference between a 1 cyl and 4 cyl high revs. I’m really curious
And yeah i changed a lot of oil and no the dealer didnt convince me to do it :D im doing everything by myself.
I changed it because i really had a lot of false neutrals where the gear just banged in while going 120kmh or so. And I mean alot alot of false neutrals. And because the Tranny and Engine share the same oil I did it

Bran

CBR650R ABS
Aug 31, 2022
uk
Riding Since
My 650r's only got just over 2000miles but has done a day at Cadwell in red hot (for uk) temperatures.20220712_104116.jpg. typical Honda for me, they are bomb proof if warmed before thrashing and oil change is done to manufacturers. I have an old 650 FX that will go back on the road for winter with something like 82,000 miles and goes streight through the MOT every year. I've ridden about 5000 per year on it in all weathers bar snow and ice and bounced the rev limiter form time to time in first and second and the thing just runs. only issue I have is the tyres drops anout 1-2 psi over a week so need to check the tyre pressure weekly.

Top Bottom