• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R CB650R vs CB1000R Neo Sports Cafe - what was your main reason for buying ?

BT67

CB650R
Apr 24, 2019
Cheers Trev. I don't commute for work or anything so my bike is purely my toy so I couldn't justify the expense. There was always something else to pay for but my opportunity came and went for it. I too was at the point where it was do it now or I'll never do it.

I was never into naked bikes but having been on this forum for a while now and seen everyone else's rides I've started to have my head turned. I think the CB looks stunning so maybe the next one will be a naked?
Yeah, same here Rafe. Only use my bike for leisure - weekends and evenings only through the summer months - never use it in the wet. I think the only downside is you never get super confident like when riding day in day out?
Perhaps we'll have to swap bikes in a couple of years! 😂
Cheers
Trev

Mattstang

CB650R ABS
Apr 20, 2020
I must admit - I was all set on wanting a street triple.
But did my test on the cb650r.
I had never seen it before - and thought it looked amazing!
I then of course researched it and found the bigger brother of it - and I love the single swing arm at the back!
Had a sit on the 1000r and it felt really comfy and suited me.
Went to a big bike show in london - and just sat on loads of bikes - got to sit on the newest street triple - and hated it!
Felt like everything in the wrong place - felt like my legs were too far back etc.
Sat back on the 650 (and the 1000) was just right.

Danny Linguini

CB650R
Apr 26, 2020
Riding Since
As I noted in an earlier post in another thread, I almost quit riding altogether last year. Sold a 2014 Valkyrie outright and didn't replace it, with no intentions of ever getting back in the saddle. But a few months later I got the itch again, which I scratched with a new Monkey, which I rode for the last few months of last season. First ride of this season uncovered the sad truth that the Monkey, as fun as it is, wasn't quite up to the kind of riding I do. I'm not a hoolgan (any more), but I ride a lot of twisty, hilly back roads, and the Monkey just didn't cut it on those hilly parts. I don't need to pull my arms out of their sockets when I crack the throttle, but I do want to feel something, and the Monkey just didn't deliver that.

I knew I did not want another large-displacement land barge, as I've had plenty of those, and the last few got ridden very little. I wanted something fun, but not too fun (i.e., I'm at the age where I no longer need to ride on the edge of death). I was actually looking for a used CB1100, as that seemed to check all the boxes, but there were none to be found nearby. Then I caught sight of the CB650R, which immediately got my attention. After doing a lot of research, it seemed to also check all the boxes. Looks, right size, light weight, not too death-tempting, and of course, the looks. So here we are. So far it feels like I made the right choice.

Last edited:

Underworld Taco

CB650R ABS
Mar 23, 2020
Portugal
Riding Since
cb650r is my first bike, still restricted, bought with the vision of get A License and remove the restrict kit and get a new bike, because it doubles the hp basically, and liter bikes i see no point on the streets, i cant hear it screams without killing myself, i love cbr650r but i love more the cb because i never saw anything similar looking to it, its super unique, cbr is one more faired bike, just my opinion, still love the cbr look tho

Underworld Taco

CB650R ABS
Mar 23, 2020
Portugal
Riding Since
No point for riding around town and in the real world the 650's are fast enough but there is something about riding bigger bikes like 1000cc that does have an appeal.
i believe, but for me the A2 cb650r is already fast, i imagine what feels like a 1000cc, but ye, you dont need a 1000cc, but is what ppl say to me, " do i need this power? nop, do i want it? Yes" xD. T
The good thing about A2 CB650R is i can hear it screams and im still in legal speeds xD,outside town speeds( restricted 650r is 47hp and 43nm instead of 95hp and 63nm)

Danny Linguini

CB650R
Apr 26, 2020
Riding Since
i believe, but for me the A2 cb650r is already fast, i imagine what feels like a 1000cc, but ye, you dont need a 1000cc, but is what ppl say to me, " do i need this power? nop, do i want it? Yes" xD. T
The good thing about A2 CB650R is i can hear it screams and im still in legal speeds xD,outside town speeds( restricted 650r is 47hp and 43nm instead of 95hp and 63nm)
I don’t even need the power of the 650. But I’m glad it’s there, in case I ever feel like getting silly. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, I always say. 😁

interfilip

CB650R ABS
Nov 29, 2019
I just finished my first all weekend tour. I agreed with most of the reasons here and i still do. Its a lovely looking bike with just the right balance. It it's never out of place, not in town, not on the Autobahn. But. It seriously hates my butt. Still sore a few days after. (I'm a bit tall but not freakishly.)
And i had the pleasure of riding a cb1300 a few times.
But for once, this time, i was looking for a new bike and the current big bikes are just way too powerful for my riding needs. That said, riding left lane on the Autobahn with my 650 works fine but it's a lot of work. It is possible but not effortless in the way it was on the 1300.
I don't know, after all. I love my 650 for a lot of reasons. But i don't know if we have a future together. Will have to look at the seat.

wrapfee

CB650R ABS
Oct 6, 2019
I've never ridden the CB. But I recently picked up a 19 Fireblade. It's ridiculous. That much power is useless on the street. It's comfortable for a superbike, and the power is controllable, especially with rider modes.

But I'm glad I didn't trade my 650R in for the Fireblade. The 650 is just an awesome all around bike. It's comfortable enough. Looks every bit as good as any super sport on the street. It's fast, but not so fast that you can't rip on it (of course, use good judgement on the street if you aren't going to the track). It's not too expensive to buy, nor insure.

I currently have a CBR500R, CBR650R, and a Fireblade. All have their place, but I can't say enough good about the 650R. And if I could only have one, that one would be it...by a mile.

(with a full Akrapovic system of course, no baffle...thanks English Biker Dan!).

Locomaaan

CB650R
Sep 10, 2020
Riding Since
I chose the CB650R as my first bike for the following reasons:

1. Safety- i am a new rider and the 1000r would get me into trouble not only with the law but my health lol, im not experienced enough for the 1000. the 650r is not a sluch by any means but im 6'3 and 220lbs with some riding experience so i figured a 500 or less would be a bit small and i would get bored quick as i am a fast learner.

2. Price - it is substantially cheaper than the 1000R and also cheaper on insurance

3. Re-sell - around where i live mid-size bikes have a huge market especially now, there are a lot of new riders also riders upgrading from 500s or less and dont plan on going up to a 1000 so they are easy to sell on the used market and fetch a good price because after all it is a reliable Honda

4. Looks - i guess both the 650R and 1000R look great, the Neo-Sports Cafe style looks amazing and cafe style is huge around here right now so this will not only make you look awesome lol but will help in the re-sell if you are looking to upgrade.

5. I got a STELLAR deal on mine - The dealer was liquidating his 2020 inventory on the show room floor and i paid $8889 CAD + taxes and fees, i couldnt say NO!!

6. Its simple, im a Honda guy, what can i say

Top Bottom