• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R CB650R vs CB1000R Neo Sports Cafe - what was your main reason for buying ?

User18

CB650R ABS
Jan 29, 2020
Hello board, :)

i would like to hear your pros and cons between the two neo sport models.
What was the decisive point for you when choosing one of the two ? Someone switched ?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I would be 95% of people choosing chose the 650 over the 1k because of two factors:

1. Cost
2. Engine size

The initial in will be more expensive, your insurance will be much higher and you’ll go through tires like they are made of butter on the 1K. And a liter takes skill and experience to use, lots of people on the 650 are newer riders and that intimidates them.

Other than name, they are really two different bikes with different purposes.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
That hit the nail on its head.
My CBR650F was my first bike ever. It was both affordable for me and not as ludicrous as a 1000cc bike.
Additionally, I prefer the look of a faired sportsbike over a naked one. If you put the CBR1000RR into the picture, things go beyond ludicrous and into... uh... plaid? ;)

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
I too would have to choose the cb650r as well, as the price over here is less than half that of the

of the cb1000r.Also with the police radar units growing at a supersonic rate. the tickets would put

me in the poor house. Seeing that I would be going at much higher speeds I would be sucking up

a much higher volume of air and this would shorten my life by a few years. Other than that iIwould

go for the cb1000r!

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
The main reason I choose the CB650R:
1: Because I already own a liter bike (CBR1000RR)
2: Just sold my second liter bike (Buell lightning) and had some money to spend 😁
3: I wanted something practical and easy to handle
4: The retro/cafe looks
5: The price
6: The silky smooth 4 cylinder

Last edited:

User18

CB650R ABS
Jan 29, 2020
I had a brief moment when i was thinking about a possible change in the beginning of the year, but i rejected the idea soon. I don't know why and where the idea came from.. maybe because of my self-imposed driving ban because of bad weather.
the aesthetics of the 650 is unmatched in that model series. the 1000 look compressed and less dynamic, with a incredibly ugly looking exhaust system (sorry:angelic:).
4 cylinders, a fantastic sound (<3) already from the manufacturer, great handling, good middleweight with the right portion performance (i love the smooth eninge with the higher rpm kick). honda simply made a great job to fill the gap.
i had seen the neo sport cb650r last year, watched a lot of videos, listened several times the exhaust sound example on their website - i fell in love. ordered her without having seen or taken a test drive - i haven't regretted it for a day so far.
had to say this. i would buy a second one just for the showcase if i had the money for it.

and btw: im glad i found this 650 board with a great worldwide ative community, share and love the same passion for this class

its high time for spring..... !!! :borg:

blackvyper

CBR650R ABS
May 1, 2020
Regensburg, Germany
Riding Since
I thought about getting a Fireblade, but then I remembered that I'm poor and cheap as hell so I just got what jumped out at me.

Note: The wife was looking over my shoulder :p

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1586784815638.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1586784815638.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 88

EnglishBikerDan

CB650R
Mar 27, 2019
Surrey
For me I wanted one bike that I could do most things on. I had a CB500X at the time (was trying to be sensible). I wanted a little more power and fun at the weekends but still have the fairly sensible power/fuel consumption to make it a viable option for commuting on all year round too. Been riding for around 16 years now, owned all sorts and while the 650 isn't pant-wettingly quick, it's quick enough for most situations and I love how it looks.

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
The only thing kept me from not having a liter bike was the insurance cost in Ontario / Canada.
We are talking about almost $400 CAD/MONTHHHH for a 37 years old guy like me. (if someone insures you!)

blackvyper

CBR650R ABS
May 1, 2020
Regensburg, Germany
Riding Since
The only thing kept me from not having a liter bike was the insurance cost in Ontario / Canada.
We are talking about almost $400 CAD/MONTHHHH for a 37 years old guy like me. (if someone insures you!)

You just have to put things in a matter of persepctive. If you moved clear across the Atlantic like I did and settled down in Germany then you could ride as fast as you wanted AND have cheaper insurance. Which sounds funny considering that I thought $95 (US) a year for a 650 was a lot. I pay about the same for my 2000 Yamaha Fazer 600. I really don't know how they make up the prices unless they're computing random numbers close enough to your breaking point. On the upside, you've got beavers.

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
You just have to put things in a matter of persepctive. If you moved clear across the Atlantic like I did and settled down in Germany then you could ride as fast as you wanted AND have cheaper insurance. Which sounds funny considering that I thought $95 (US) a year for a 650 was a lot. I pay about the same for my 2000 Yamaha Fazer 600. I really don't know how they make up the prices unless they're computing random numbers close enough to your breaking point. On the upside, you've got beavers.
I am straight, but who cares. Would you marry me? Need the passport ....

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Haven't ridden a CB1000R but it will obviously be heavier and more expensive to buy and run than the 650. As far as 1000cc or bigger bikes go it depends on the bike obviously, but they can be more stable and planted than a smaller bike and I haven't had any trouble riding bigger bikes - 1200 Suzuki Bandit, 1100 Yamaha Bulldog, and my last bike a Honda CBF1000FA was an easy bike to ride. You can get a nearly new 650 for the price of a quite old 1000cc bike usually as well.

BT67

CB650R
Apr 24, 2019
Hadn't ridden a bike for 31 years until a couple of years ago. I bought a KTM Duke390 for my 50th. Mid life crisis maybe but my thinking at the time was now or never! I kept the Duke for a year but soon realised I wanted something with a bit more power. The CB650R ticked all the boxes for me. First and foremost loved the looks and secondly it is quite an affordable bike to buy and run. A lot of bang for your buck!
Atb
Trev

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
I rode an Aprillia RS125 for 2 years on a CBT when I was 18. Gave it up at 20 when I met my girlfriend, now wife. I decided to give up the bike in order to save for my first house. Then it was saving for a wedding. Then for children.

At 35 I was financially in a good position to finally get back into riding last year and was so close to pulling the trigger on the F when I saw the red CBR650R and knew instantly that was the bike for me. I love the looks, the riding position and how it handles. The insurance was reasonable for effectively a new rider and it's not silly fast, nor too heavy to handle.

I'm always looking back at the bike when I walk away from it and gives me such a buzz knowing it's mine. I grin from ear to ear when I'm on it and I haven't once regretted my decision. It's what being a biker is all about.

BT67

CB650R
Apr 24, 2019
I rode an Aprillia RS125 for 2 years on a CBT when I was 18. Gave it up at 20 when I met my girlfriend, now wife. I decided to give up the bike in order to save for my first house. Then it was saving for a wedding. Then for children.

At 35 I was financially in a good position to finally get back into riding last year and was so close to pulling the trigger on the F when I saw the red CBR650R and knew instantly that was the bike for me. I love the looks, the riding position and how it handles. The insurance was reasonable for effectively a new rider and it's not silly fast, nor too heavy to handle.

I'm always looking back at the bike when I walk away from it and gives me such a buzz knowing it's mine. I grin from ear to ear when I'm on it and I haven't once regretted my decision. It's what being a biker is all about.
I know what you mean Rafe. Life gets in the way! I do sometimes wish I'd gone for the CBR, a lovely looking bike. I test rode both but the CB edged it for me at the time. Maybe the CBR next time round?
Ride safe
Trev

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
I know what you mean Rafe. Life gets in the way! I do sometimes wish I'd gone for the CBR, a lovely looking bike. I test rode both but the CB edged it for me at the time. Maybe the CBR next time round?
Ride safe
Trev

Cheers Trev. I don't commute for work or anything so my bike is purely my toy so I couldn't justify the expense. There was always something else to pay for but my opportunity came and went for it. I too was at the point where it was do it now or I'll never do it.

I was never into naked bikes but having been on this forum for a while now and seen everyone else's rides I've started to have my head turned. I think the CB looks stunning so maybe the next one will be a naked?

Top Bottom