• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Arai helmet drop from handlebar

soriku

CB650R ABS
Mar 28, 2022
Riding Since
Hi guys,

Yes… my first motorcycle fell :( while I was stopped in the garage. Had to happened right…

The CB650R is fine, a minor scratch on the exhaust, 99% of the drop was covered by evotech protection.

My helmet dropped and when I was trying to catch it the motorcycle fell as well. The helmet has a minor point of contact where the paint has come off.

Do you think it is something major? Replace helmet? I mean it was from the handlebars high… and it was empty

I did not see any helmet inspection company in Netherlands.

Attachments

• 54EEA0E1-2321-40E5-81DC-235E578F557B.jpeg
    54EEA0E1-2321-40E5-81DC-235E578F557B.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 26

Brian C.

CBR650R ABS
Nov 26, 2021
Northwich
Riding Since
I am really interested in this as mine fell from my Handlebars onto a gravel car park, some tiny chips to the paint, but no other visible damage, the general consensus seems to be as follows (nicked from another forum)
"Short answer: it's probably fine. Without a head inside it, the EPS is not subjected to major decel forces. Now, if there are structural damages to the outer shell, like cracks, major chips, etc., then you might have an issue."
Also worth reading this article on Benetts, and this (timestamp 7 minutes in approx.) but there is no definitive answer that I have been able to find. Very interested to see what more experienced riders think?

Last edited:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
The problem for both of you is no one can or will say anything definitive because there is nothing definitive to say. Sometimes they fall and are fine, sometime not. The only way to know for sure is to send the helmet back to the manufacturer and have them Xray it or they do a full inspection and clear it. The only other way you know if it's compromised is to crash in it and have it not protect you fully. The chipped paint may be just that: chipped paint. Or it may have a whole bunch of cracks in the shell emanating from that point.

This doesn't help the situation but I have dropped a number of helmets over the years and some I felt were fine, some I was worried about based in the sound and damage they took. I've personally never sent a helmet in to get inspected, I just replaced them if I was concerned. And this is exactly the reason I won't buy a super crazy, high priced helmet anymore because if I have $600+ in something I just dropped, bumped or smacked into a wall, I will most likely choose to keep using it, even if I think it may be suspect. If I buy that same helmet as a plain colored, or 2 year old model closeout for $250, I don't have as big an issue getting rid of it.

Food for thought.

Halliparta

CB650R
Apr 10, 2022
Riding Since
I don't know how it works where you live, but here you would get a new one from home or bike insurance, if you have fully comprehensive insurance.

Brian C.

CBR650R ABS
Nov 26, 2021
Northwich
Riding Since
I am perfectly happy to keep my helmet, if it hadn't been black you would not be able to see the damage, it has literally just scratched the paint. I dabbed some Black marker on it and will be keeping the helmet. If I had been in any doubt I would have got a new one. As a new rider I see Kit literally every day and have to restrain myself, any excuse will do! :)
Still toying with a Flip Front, but because I hear they are quieter, but Must Not Spend!

soriku

CB650R ABS
Mar 28, 2022
Riding Since
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have full-coverage insurance so I will check with them, considering I do have clothing and helmet covered.

CBR650r82

CBR650R ABS
Jun 14, 2022
Riding Since
I would not let someone else make the call. Nor make the discision on the insurrance paying for it or not. The helmet is there to keep you safe. If you hesitate (guess you do, because you asked ) Just replace it.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Still toying with a Flip Front, but because I hear they are quieter, but Must Not Spend!
Interesting, because I’ve always heard, and experienced, the opposite with the modular units. I like the idea of them, but every one I’ve tried on just feels off to me.

Brian C.

CBR650R ABS
Nov 26, 2021
Northwich
Riding Since
I was thinking specifically of the Schuberth C5 and have read several reviews that the redesigned and Larger Neckroll offers a significant reduction in Noise. not tried it myself yet.
From Motostars website "We have no doubts that this will be a quiet helmet. Schuberth has its own wind tunnel for noise testing, and the C5 comes with the tight neck roll and chin curtain that serve to stop air entering the helmet."

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
Hi guys,

Yes… my first motorcycle fell :( while I was stopped in the garage. Had to happened right…

The CB650R is fine, a minor scratch on the exhaust, 99% of the drop was covered by evotech protection.

My helmet dropped and when I was trying to catch it the motorcycle fell as well. The helmet has a minor point of contact where the paint has come off.

Do you think it is something major? Replace helmet? I mean it was from the handlebars high… and it was empty

I did not see any helmet inspection company in Netherlands.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I was thinking specifically of the Schuberth C5 and have read several reviews that the redesigned and Larger Neckroll offers a significant reduction in Noise. not tried it myself yet.
From Motostars website "We have no doubts that this will be a quiet helmet. Schuberth has its own wind tunnel for noise testing, and the C5 comes with the tight neck roll and chin curtain that serve to stop air entering the helmet."
Schuberth is really the one manufacturer that really works hard at making their helmets quiet, even with Arai, Bell, Shoei and AGV you will pretty much need ear plugs to comfortably wear the helmet.

That may be a good choice, but I don’t think it will be quieter than their standard full face counterpart would be.

MidsMikey

CB650F ABS
Aug 10, 2022
Riding Since
I did exactly the same as you op, I dropped my Arai from my handlebars and it took a huge chunk out of my lid, gutted as it cost me over £500 and was about 9mths old

Top Bottom