• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Akrapovic S-H6R11-AFT exhaust Requires Re-Packing

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
Just an FYI as there is some confusion on whether the Akrapovic full system muffler needs regular re-packing or not. I emailed Akrapovic to ask. They sent their reply to a local (sort of) supplier for forwarding to me so I knew where to obtain the kit. This is their reply:

Hello,

I received a copy of your email from Akrapovic, they asked me to forward their reply

This exhaust system has a repack kit (P-RPCK141) which he can order additionally. We recommend replacing the damping material every 15,000km. Instructions on how to repack the exhaust are provided with the kit.

Mitch Rathje
Product Manager

www.partscanada.com

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
What is the benefit and/or reason for a repack?
They recommend a repack because the material they use for sound deadening will deteriorate over time with the heat and pressures in the muffler. That causes louder noise and reduced performance since the packing is no longer as dense and the pressures in the system have changed.

All aftermarket performance oriented mufflers require re-packing now and then. I used to run a full system Yoshimura on another bike and had to re-pack that, which required drilling out rivets and riveting it back together with new stainless steel rivets. That's a pretty typical method. Some use screws though. Re-packing can be a fiddly job; depends on the muffler. The carbon fibre type can be more delicate to reassemble. Some things to consider when choosing an aftermarket system.

Note: The intervals between re-packing vary with your riding. The system is designed for high performance race situations, so you'll likely get a bit more out of the packing than 15,000 kms, just riding on the street, even if you ride hard.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Just an FYI as there is some confusion on whether the Akrapovic full system muffler needs regular re-packing or not. I emailed Akrapovic to ask. They sent their reply to a local (sort of) supplier for forwarding to me so I knew where to obtain the kit. This is their reply:
Interesting. I dug through their website and install instructions and don’t see that info anywhere else.
All aftermarket performance oriented mufflers require re-packing now and then.
Some, not all. Scorpion and Remus are two I know of that use steel wool as a first layer (minimum, Scorpion is all steel wool) and do not have a repack requirement. I was under the impression Akra had moved to that style as well since there was nothing on their site or in their paperwork stating a repack requirement. I guess I was misinformed.

Thanks for the info.

Personally I’d leave it as long as the muffler is a titanium or stainless sleeve, it’s really the carbon ones or the big single cylinder bikes that blow out packing and can be damaged.

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
Interesting. I dug through their website and install instructions and don’t see that info anywhere else.

Some, not all. Scorpion and Remus are two I know of that use steel wool as a first layer (minimum, Scorpion is all steel wool) and do not have a repack requirement. I was under the impression Akra had moved to that style as well since there was nothing on their site or in their paperwork stating a repack requirement. I guess I was misinformed.

Thanks for the info.

Personally I’d leave it as long as the muffler is a titanium or stainless sleeve, it’s really the carbon ones or the big single cylinder bikes that blow out packing and can be damaged.
Yeah I guess I shouldn't have said "all" aftermarket mufflers. Cool that Scorpion doesn't require it. You're right, the clue that Akra does require repacking is well hidden in their site. You'd never find that info unless by accident as I did. I saw the part number for the repack kit on one of their pages, which prompted me to write them to confirm.

Underworld Taco

CB650R ABS
Mar 23, 2020
Portugal
Riding Since
I never heard someone with SC Project talk about re-packing too, and cant find any information about it, just akra i founded when was searching for an exhaust, but is curious to know and like u both said, some ppl can buy the exhaust and not even notice that

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
I never heard someone with SC Project talk about re-packing too, and cant find any information about it, just akra i founded when was searching for an exhaust, but is curious to know and like u both said, some ppl can buy the exhaust and not even notice that
Yeah it all depends on how hard you ride. It takes pushing the engine as it would be in racing to blow through the packing in the recommended re-pack time IMO. Conservative or semi hard riding will see the packing last much longer than the recommended 15,000 kms. Over time the packing will become carboned up of course even with conservative riding, so eventually it should be done. Lot's of owners don't put the mileage on a bike to experience the issue, so there's that.

Top Bottom