• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

What to do now....?

rustyeyed

CBR650F ABS
Oct 14, 2015
United Kingdom
So I am almost done with all the modifications on the bike, all performance/functional modifications, I don't count aesthetic mods as modifications.

1. Akrapovic Full Exhaust
2. K&N
3. HEL Stainless Steel Brake Lines
4. Power Commander 5
5. DID Chain + Sprocket
6. Ohlins Front Fork Spring
7. Heated Grips
8. Windsheild
9. PAIR Removal
10. EBC Brake Pads

Things not required to be changed:

1. Rear Shock
2. All the aesthetics (yet! - but I have done a little bit)
3. Wheels
4. Brake calipers

I was just wondering after 2.5 years of owning this bike and 12000miles later where all the miles are pure touring and weekends escapades done only in the UK summer.

Wondering what do I do now? I am getting bored............................................................:facepalm:

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
Only performance mod (at least plug and play) that comes to my mind and which is not on the list is a steering damper. Don´t know if you feel the need for one of those.
Edit: Still one thing, I got a shiftholder for my CB1000. There are also some avaiable for the 650. Don´t know tho how big the difference is after installing it on the 650s.

Aesthtics are personal and up to you. It´s a barrel without a ground.

rustyeyed

CBR650F ABS
Oct 14, 2015
United Kingdom
Only performance mod (at least plug and play) that comes to my mind and which is not on the list is a steering damper. Don´t know if you feel the need for one of those.
Edit: Still one thing, I got a shiftholder for my CB1000. There are also some avaiable for the 650. Don´t know tho how big the difference is after installing it.

Never had a reason to put a steering damper on this machine, the bike never tank slaps because it's extremely stable.

Does it make a big difference and in what way ?... Just curious :)

rustyeyed

CBR650F ABS
Oct 14, 2015
United Kingdom
Edit: Still one thing, I got a shiftholder for my CB1000. There are also some avaiable for the 650. Don´t know tho how big the difference is after installing it on the 650s.

What is a shiftholder?

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
1533824050913.png
That´s the shiftholder.
It supports the gear shaft. There are some bikes where it sticks out quite far.
With the additional support it can help you to make your shifts even cleaner. Many people with a CB1000R / RR (SC57) installed it and the feedback from them was great. So I thought to myself, why not risk it and try it out myself.
And I have to say, while I didn´t had real issues before, I feel like it got even better. The occasional misshifts once in a while got reduced to almost nothing.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
Never had a reason to put a steering damper on this machine, the bike never tank slaps because it's extremely stable.

Does it make a big difference and in what way ?... Just curious :)

I don´t have one myself. Never felt the need on the 650.
With the new bike the front sometimes gets a bit light, it would be nice sometimes - but not nessecary. Still manageable.

rustyeyed

CBR650F ABS
Oct 14, 2015
United Kingdom
I don´t have one myself. Never felt the need on the 650.
With the new bike the front sometimes gets a bit light, it would be nice sometimes - but not nessecary. Still manageable.

The lightness in the front in the corner is due to 'chattering', I put Ohlins FSK springs on and adjusted the preload and now superbly stable. This bike doesnt need a steering damper. All it needs is proper suspension set up.

rustyeyed

CBR650F ABS
Oct 14, 2015
United Kingdom
View attachment 2086
That´s the shiftholder.
It supports the gear shaft. There are some bikes where it sticks out quite far.
With the additional support it can help you to make your shifts even cleaner. Many people with a CB1000R / RR (SC57) installed it and the feedback from them was great. So I thought to myself, why not risk it and try it out myself.
And I have to say, while I didn´t had real issues before, I feel like it got even better. The occasional misshifts once in a while got reduced to almost nothing.

That's awesome, i do have miss shifts once in a while coz sometimes I shift too quick... any link ? ebay ?

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany

rustyeyed

CBR650F ABS
Oct 14, 2015
United Kingdom

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
Looks interesting.

What it says it does:

Gilles Tooling Shift Support Brackets: Tired of missing gear shifts? Don't want to risk blowing your engine? Gilles Tooling Shift Support Brackets reinforce the gear shaft to prevent unwanted flex and ensuring smooth shifting. For absolutely flawless shifting

Model is #SHIHO-SC59-KIT

Gilles Info at:

https://www.gillestooling.com/produ...ts-and-shiftholder/1980/shiftholder-kit?c=185

For Usa and Canadia users get it at:

https://www.oppracing.com/product_display/193818-gilles-tooling-shiftholder/

E-bay listing shows it fits CBR650F only, but it should CB650 cause we use the same engine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shiftholder-kit-shiho-honda-HONDA-CBR-ABS-Gilles-Tooling/263794273783?hash=item3d6b5d2df7:g:mUoAAOSw8P9bO~Xq&_sacat=0&_nkw=shiftholder&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xshiftholder.TRS0

Last edited:

rustyeyed

CBR650F ABS
Oct 14, 2015
United Kingdom
Looks interesting.

What it says it does:

Gilles Tooling Shift Support Brackets: Tired of missing gear shifts? Don't want to risk blowing your engine? Gilles Tooling Shift Support Brackets reinforce the gear shaft to prevent unwanted flex and ensuring smooth shifting. For absolutely flawless shifting

Model is #SHIHO-SC59-KIT

Gilles Info at:

https://www.gillestooling.com/produ...ts-and-shiftholder/1980/shiftholder-kit?c=185

For Usa and Canadia users get it at:

https://www.oppracing.com/product_display/193818-gilles-tooling-shiftholder/

E-bay listing shows it fits CBR650F only, but it should CB650 cause we use the same engine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shiftholder-kit-shiho-honda-HONDA-CBR-ABS-Gilles-Tooling/263794273783?hash=item3d6b5d2df7:g:mUoAAOSw8P9bO~Xq&_sacat=0&_nkw=shiftholder&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xshiftholder.TRS0

So basically it just takes out any play in the shaft :bookworm:

But wondering if the gear shift misses are to do anything with the play in the shaft or just mid way gear changes rather than a full solid shift (usually happens in a hurry) ?

£70 is not cheap - and people cry about exhausts being expensive hahaha!

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
So basically it just takes out any play in the shaft :bookworm:

But wondering if the gear shift misses are to do anything with the play in the shaft or just mid way gear changes rather than a full solid shift (usually happens in a hurry) ?

£70 is not cheap - and people cry about exhausts being expensive hahaha!

I had missshifts due to play in the shaft. Especially while doing multiple fast clutchless upshifts. I always (at least tried to) do full shifts but sometimes it just didn´t work as planned.

Of course I can´t say that every shift ist 100% perfect now, but the Shiftholder really improved my riding experience. Sure, all might still be imagination - but as said, multiple people recommended it. It also took me a while until I decided to go for it.
So the problem may or may not be the result of play in the shaft.

Yes, 70 bucks is a lot of money, especially after seeing the package and the size of that thing.
ps: Once you start again with the visual modification of your bike, you will see that there are much worse ways to spend your money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom