• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F Trouble Starting (same as others...)

User3

CB650F
Mar 27, 2018
Hey everyone, I hope that your holidays have been great so far!

For the last few weeks, my bike hasn't been starting. It'll crank until the battery dies (the battery does need to be replaced, but it isn't the issue), but it won't start up.

I can smell gas and at times, I can hear it trying ever so hard to turn over, but it just won't catch.

I have tried the 5 sec. full throttle + ignition > start normal routine 3 times over the last week or so, but despite it sounding promising, it just turns into a fireball shooting out of the exhaust with an explosive sound.

1) Is this normal/okay? Should I continue trying?
2) Any additional tips for me to try?

Thanks!

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
If it's throwing a flame, that's a clear indication of serious flooding.

Keep going until it starts. Might be worth jump starting it from a car so you can keep cranking it for longer than the battery will last.

Remember to give the starter motor a break after a minute though!

J

dadger

Moto3
Sep 22, 2014
Southampton
All I did was keep trying over a few days, charging in between, but the flames might suggest a little help from a mechanic could be in order!!! Any water ingress possible on last ride?

Be lucky.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
A new set of spark plugs will help. A lot of cranking over long periods does tend to wash the bores,and that can aggravate the problem. A little squirt of oil down the bores wouldn't hurt when the plugs are out.

Last edited:

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
You need spark, fuel and compression (correct valve timing). Check all three, starting with the easy ones (spark, fuel). How old is the gasoline and did you fill up from a different place before it started acting up? Pull the plugs and dry them out or replace them as they are now fouled.

Last edited:

norcorider

CB650F ABS
Jul 26, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I am facing same issue. With temperatures going up, wanted to start the bike and letting it run for few minutes, but it wouldn't start. Its cranking and I can smell Gas and see smoke coming out of exhaust but that's it.
I had put in stabil and battery was on tender throughout winters.
Please advise.

Bindir Dundat

CB650F
May 5, 2018
I am facing same issue. With temperatures going up, wanted to start the bike and letting it run for few minutes, but it wouldn't start. Its cranking and I can smell Gas and see smoke coming out of exhaust but that's it.
I had put in stabil and battery was on tender throughout winters.
Please advise.

Is the bike inside or outside the garage? It's going to be warmer in the next few days so I recommend trying it again in a couple of days. But, if you can't wait and the bike is in the garage, use an electric heater to heat up garage for a couple of hours, and then try it again. With the winter we had, there could be a lot of moisture inside the cylinders. That's how I do it. But if it's still being stubborn, pull the spark plugs out and dry them with a hair dryer or just put new ones in. Or just have a few beers and wait for spring.

That`s all I`ve got to say about that.

norcorider

CB650F ABS
Jul 26, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Is the bike inside or outside the garage? It's going to be warmer in the next few days so I recommend trying it again in a couple of days. But, if you can't wait and the bike is in the garage, use an electric heater to heat up garage for a couple of hours, and then try it again. With the winter we had, there could be a lot of moisture inside the cylinders. That's how I do it. But if it's still being stubborn, pull the spark plugs out and dry them with a hair dryer or just put new ones in. Or just have a few beers and wait for spring.

That`s all I`ve got to say about that.

Thanks, going to wait it out for warm weather.

norcorider

CB650F ABS
Jul 26, 2018
Ontario, Canada
**update- I read a suggestion on some old Honda forum to disconnect battery , so that ecu resets and does not send rich mixture. It actually worked. Started on first try after reconnecting battery.
Lots of smoke for first few minutes and then it settled. I could see some gas under the exhaust, probably unburnt gas which was causing the issue.

I hope it helps others. Ready for spring. :)

Bindir Dundat

CB650F
May 5, 2018
Yay, thumbs up! :D I saw a few bikers on the road today.
Meh. I'll wait until after the spring showers come and washes away the salt and sand. That's just me. No rush.

Vicep3

CB650F ABS
Apr 28, 2018
I've had this issue twice now. This past weekend and a year ago. I use my bike daily year round here in Victoria BC down to just below freezing. Stored inside an unheated garage. The start seems to hiccup more during the colder but humid weather. Since the Manual says to use minimum 87 Octane fuel (up to 10% ethanol) that's all I've been using. I wonder if the ethanol is what causes the flooding with the fuel injected engine.

Going through this thread I did the various steps as suggested. Throttle pinned for 5 sec and wait, then try to start normally. Did this many times and no effect, except the occasional massive backfire. Tried disconnecting the battery to reset ECU, no effect. Finally removed the 20A FI fuse and cranked the starter for 5 sec. Started first try after that. A bit rough but once it was going I've had no issues.

You would think with the fuel injection and ECU that spark would work no matter the octane. But I am going to use Premium with no ethanol during the winter to see if that makes a difference. Frustrating when it doesn't start.

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
Could fuel that sat over winter be somewhat resistant to combustion? Does your winter storage procedure include filling the tank in order to protect exposed metal from corrosion/rust? Do you use any stabilizer/ethanol treatment? Siphon old fuel and replace with new before starting in spring time?
The modern ethanol fuels breakdown in alarmingly short periods. I dunno, something to consider, maybe some preemptive action on your part may prevent your start difficulties.

Mine sitting since December (winter storage) tank filled, stabilized fuel, same...covered, unheated garage. Lets see how we make out.

Birdierider

CBR650F ABS
Aug 14, 2018
Denmark
I've had the same problem with my '18 cbr650f over the last four days. First start since november after storage in a cold toolshed only protected by at bike cover. Power on the battery was ok, starter motor ran just fine and everything else seemed in regular shape. Engine not starting though. Tried 5-10 sec, waited, throttle pinned, tried again with a LOUD explosion comming from the Acra, still no start, tried over and over again. same result. Recharged battery between every other session to avoid draining it completely.

Today when the sun came out, I took the bike outside of the shed i keep it in. I thought the moderate heat from the sun (temperature is only 5-8 degrees Celsius) could help against possible moist in the tank and in the air intake. I lifted the gastank up, gave it a good shake, replaced it, and then I opened the fuel cap to prevent eventual vacuum. I removed the baffler/DB killer from the Acrapovic, only because of my frustration. I thought the increased potential airflow out the system could somehow be an advantage.
The engine finally started and ran as stable as ever.
The final conclusion: Be patient if you store your bike in a cold and moist place over a longer period. I hope my experience can help others as all the advice I found on this site has helped me.

icemankent

CBR650R ABS
Aug 2, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Riding Since
SAME problem here.
Bought new bike in 2020.
Stored for the winter (Nov,Dec,Jan,Feb,Mar). NO-ethanol fuel, to the top, with K-100 stabilizer. (Battery removed, on battery tender).
April 2021. Trouble starting - as described above.
Basically no issues turning over - but would not "catch".
Must have tried about 7 times before I thought to try giving it (holding at 1/4 throttle) while starting.
A couple of times doing that - it finally started.....quite rough at first, then settled down and operated/started normally.

Stored bike for winter of 2021.
Now March 2022. Same procedure of winter storage.
Tried starting the bike. Same issue. Turns but won't catch. (very frustrating).
This time, holding the throttle at 1/4 while starting did not work.
I increased it to 1/2 while starting. Lots of smoke, and then a HUGE Backfire - BANG !
My neighbors must have thought someone shot a gun, lol.

After the backfire, I kept trying.
The next time, increasing the amount of throttle.
Let's just say that eventually - after about 5 more tries, the bike finally started - but when it finally caught, and was running, it was so rough, that I actually (held) the throttle for about 30 seconds or so - just so it would not stall.
There was a LOT of blue smoke, mind you - this did not happen after my first winter storage.

After that, I eased off the throttle, and the bike continued running.
I left it running for a good 5 minutes, then turned it off.
It started normally, and ran with no (smoke) this time.

Needless to say, this was quite disappointing.
I did everything right, to store this bike.
Not sure why (many of us) are having this exact same issue.

I am going to hate storing it again this year, knowing that the spring of 2023 may be even more difficult to get this thing started !!

Surely there is something wrong with the design of this bike - or some magical method to be able to start it easily....
Anyone ?

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
Surely there is something wrong with the design of this bike - or some magical method to be able to start it easily....
Anyone ?

restart after winter storage went without a hitch yet again in '22. Start procedure,.... hit button, no throttle, cranks a couple of seconds then starts effortlessly. Something wrong with design? Not IMHO, quite the contrary, actually. Note my '19 650R has zero (engine related) mods, as received from new.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
I parked my 650f for 3 months with e10 fuel in it, on a tender (battery in bike).

It started first touch of the button.

Definitely not a platform wide design fault.

J

Top Bottom