• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Torque wrench for small bolts

Trent

CB650R ABS
Apr 6, 2020
Riding Since
Hi Everyone,

I notice my manual has torque setting for some fasteners with really low values, for example, some are between 1.5 nm to 10 nm.

Is this worth getting a torque wrench for? I appreciate the need for the larger fasteners with high torque values like the axles, but wasn’t sure what everyone else does when it comes to the smaller fasteners.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Personally, I say yeah.

I’m actually more apt to use a torque wrench on things with a low torque value than high since it’s easier to overtighten or leave them looser than they should be. The larger the fastener, the harder it is to overtighten.

mako

CB650R ABS
Dec 19, 2019
FL
I second the yeah on low torque value bolts and such. I ride bicycles a lot and these values are used all over the place in that arena. As mentioned it's important not to over tighten, especially where carbon fiber is involved. I have been using one from Pro Bike Tools for the last few years and it has been accurate and reliable for a decent price.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Just pulled the trigger on amazon for a proper 3/8 drive calibrated wrench and a 1/4 drive one that goes down to 5nm.

About time!

Thanks for the nudge!

J

Trent

CB650R ABS
Apr 6, 2020
Riding Since
Thank you everyone who replied. It is such a big help to be able to get advice like this. Cheers!

Top Bottom