• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Tire Tread Question

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I'm back to re-balancing my front tire. I've been getting a slight wobble at around 45 mph. Nothing major and the bike rides fine at higher and lower speeds. When I remove my hands the bars go back and forth by about 1/2" or less.

My question...judging by these two pictures, if you were facing the front of the bike looking towards the rear, what tread pattern do you think should go from top down? I'll take a few answers before I post how the arrow is aimed.

Anything else concerning the wobbling is fine. I did have the tire dot off from the valve by about 6 inches so maybe that has something to do with it being off-balance. Rear wheel is fine, chain in spec and aligned. Also, maybe a dumb question but I can't find any answers on the web...on a motorcycle tire, does it matter what side the weights are on? I've always put them on the side where the valve stem is pointing out (I use the 90 degree stems).

Picture "A":

Tire tread A.jpg

Picture "B":

Tire tread B.jpg

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Start @ the 14:20 mark

Was bugging me for a while. I did it the right way...but just thought something was a little off! Thought maybe I got an incorrectly stamped tire (they were cheap!).

Got it all balanced out, 3 weights! But, it balanced much better than before. I'll take her out tomorrow and see how she does.

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
It might be the dot being off so much from the valve
I was having the same issue on the stock tires, even if the dot was in the correct position, now is completely gone with the new tires
On my Pirelli Diablo Rosso III I only used 1/8oz weight in the front (Surprised!)
3 weights sound about right, would not put any more than that
About what side they’re supposed to be installed, never really heard on which side is better, I kept the same side with the old rubber
Let us know tomorrow how it rides

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
It might be the dot being off so much from the valve
I was having the same issue on the stock tires, even if the dot was in the correct position, now is completely gone with the new tires
On my Pirelli Diablo Rosso III I only used 1/8oz weight in the front (Surprised!)
3 weights sound about right, would not put any more than that
About what side they’re supposed to be installed, never really heard on which side is better, I kept the same side with the old rubber
Let us know tomorrow how it rides

I think it's just the tire as, although it's name brand, it's the cheap ones and probably ready to disappear from their production. My last few tire changes (on other bikes) had no more than one weight needed. Most no weights at all. My service guy was telling me that the way tires are made today they're almost fully balanced at production.

As for what side of the rim the weights should go, I know car tires but I only saw one mention on a forum where a guy was asking and NONE of the replies had an answer for him. Couldn't find anything else on Google so I thought I'd ask here.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Jut came back from a short ride and STILL feeling the wobbling at 45-50 mph. Nothing before or after so now I'm thinking steering bearing(s). This was the EXACT same issue the famous VTX's had - steering bearings at this mph. Grrr....

May just need tightening but since I don't have an ABBA stand I may have to take to the shop. Bike is less than a year old from the crate and under 9K miles. If these bearing are bad I'm gonna be pissed!

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Went down and spoke with a mek-a-nik and explained to me that getting Dunlops was a bad idea. He said that he gets a lot of Goldwings with the same exact issue I'm having and, in his experience, it's ALWAYS from Dunlops. (He was an older guy so I'm willing to trust his experience.)

So, I decided to order a set of new tires and, after discussing at length with the guys at my shop, I went with some Metzler Roadtecs They were $100 off normal price. I said screw it and will use these Dunlop's as a backup in case of a nail in the tire...because Murphy's Law and all.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida

I got a set of the Roadtec 01's. My parts guy said that he's used them for years on his naked Kawasaki and loves them. He said they have good longevity and they handle the corners really well. He added that, of his 2 bikes (a Hayabusa and the Kawi) he rides the Kawi way more aggressively than the 'Busa. (He uses the Sportec's on his "Busa).

I'm thinking the tire IS my wobbling problem. But I'm definitely not ruling out the steering bearings either. If these new Roadtec's don't fix it then I'm going straight to the bearings. They had to order the tires so it will be a few days...and then, as usual, we're about to get a possible Tropical Storm so riding will be out of the picture for a few days. 😡

mako

CB650R ABS
Dec 19, 2019
FL
I think you will like the Roadtec's. My bike came stock with the 01's and they have surprised me. Thought the tires would be one of the first things to go after purchase, but as it turns out they are much better than I had envisioned. They tip in well, have good traction wet/dry, and the feedback is strong. They haven't puckered my arse once and with 4k on them the life is looking real good. Great all around street tire.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Mako,I have been riding on my roadtec's 01 now for over 2 years and your right they are a great tire in the wet or dry no slip.

Plus the the wear factor is also great as I see very little wear after around 20,000 km.

halfmt1

CB650R
Nov 9, 2019
I had the same plan with the Roadtecs at first, I gave them a chance and have since decided to keep them on. Glad the CB came with them.
If they were dunlops they would be gone already, never felt confidence with any stock dunlops on multiple bikes.

Top Bottom